Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy M's Sea Rover Budget Build (two models)  (Read 9382 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Andy M's Sea Rover Budget Build (two models)
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2021, 01:11:51 pm »

Hi Jim, great minds think alike.... so I hear anyway. 😁
Rather than hollowing, I was going to make a 1/16 top and 1/8 thick frame around the underside for each cushion. I will also try and neaten up my glueing too, contact adhesive might produce a neater result.
I was quite pleased with how mk1 looked from the front, I actually skimmed the back of the fabric clump with a scalpel then with the front of the cushion on my building board, I crushed the back protrusions into the balsa a bit with my scalpel handle, this actually worked but was pretty tough with the fabric/balsa/superglue sandwich. It looks good enough to convince me I am heading in the right direction.
I also thought that if I do 1/16 cushion top and 1/8 frame, I can use contact adhesive on the front face to keep the fabric attached then carefully crush the middle of the cushion a bit. This might give it a contoured look rather than a kind of pencil eraser look.
What do you think about my mast Jim? On or off?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2021, 01:25:59 pm »

Couple of stills from a video showiing Sea Rover with the canopy fitted. Sorry for the quality, it was getting dark.
I also tried the fan system out, seemed to work a bit, but will definately need water cooling or more powerful fans, these ones are pretty poor, I may try one of my 7mm plane motors, they shift much more air.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2021, 11:23:45 am »

I had a picture that I downloaded of lots of aircraft dials, but I thought that if they were done on my friend's printer, they might not be very clear, so my daughter suggested that she get them printed by a free photo printing place, you just pay postage and any photos over your monthly limit. She was getting some printed anyway.
 They arrived, she had got me a lifetime's supply in 2 sizes and they already had different sizes on the original pic too, so I have loads. They are pretty good quality, good enough for me.
 I only wanted to give an impression of instruments, and these are way beyond what I could have painted, I know, I tried painting some dials on clear plastic. Terrible, even if I do say so myself. 😁
 Anyway, avoiding the dials that looked 'aircraft only' , I selected the ones that showed best through my dashboard, fuel guage, clock, speedo looking one, and a digital readout.
 I realised I could have made the holes bigger as they are quite small and deep set. The dials are sized well to them though and you can see enough of them. Its done now, can always make another dashboard if I want to. I varnished my nice steering wheel, once it is dry and fitted the dashboard is pretty much finished, maybe add a couple of screws but it stays in place fine without any.
 I need to decide on seat cushion colours, for the driver and passenger seats and the bench seats in the cabin well, I have decided I am not going to use the orange t shirt, the colour doesnt suit the boat but the concept was definately good and worth a try, I will make up the balsa frames for them and hopefully will have decided on material by the time they are done.
 Would the cabin interior seating (not made yet) have the same colour scheme as the rear well seats?
 No rush for the interior yet, the boat runs and I just need to finish off some bits in the well area.
 I have ordered a piece of copper tubing that will run through the speed controller heatsink, there are channels that will take 3.6mm copper tube, I was only able to find 3.5mm stuff, and finding that took a lot of searching, there were lots of 3mm and 3.2mm (1/8 inch)
 Need to wait till it arrives, it might turn out to be 3.2mm sold as 3.5mm.
 It is coming from china so need to wait and see.
I have a few ships/ boats on the go just now, but I am really enjoying them all, I can skip onto a different model if I have to think about something before committing to it. Also as funds become available, I can resume construction/detailing. Some bits I cant make, I saw lovely aeronaut cleats, but they were quite expensive. They did look very nice and would compliment my Sea Rover, it looks a bit bare around the deck edge. Also what size would look right? Its sometimes hard to tell from just a measurement as opposed to it sitting on the boat, I might have to make a couple of balsa replicas in the range of sizes that might suit my boat. I hope to get the cleats but my circumstances wont allow that at the moment. They are £11....actually more expensive than my new plank on frame sailing ship kit, so I am still trying to decide if the cleats are worth it..... but they would be a nice finishing touch. The steering wheel was £6, but looks very good.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2021, 08:35:45 pm »

A second attempt at seat cusions, not too bad, still to finish driver and passenger seat cushions. I also fitted my steering wheel.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2021, 12:29:38 am »

I have managed a bit of progress on Sea Rover, I added watercooling pipes to the speed control, it had channels on the heatsink that accept 3.5mm copper tubing, but it took me a while to find that size of copper, 3mm and 1/8 were common but 3.5 was rare, I found it eventually, and it arrived from germany the other day.
I have not decided on a water scoop yet, I may just use a bit of the copper tubing that's left. I never made any provision for watercooling, I will need to think carefully before I go drilling holes in my hull.
 I made up seat cushions for the driver and passenger seats. Look not bad, will do for now.
 I fitted my mast,  a 3mm kebab stick peg  holds it pretty strongly, while allowing it to break off rather than rip the windscreen out. I have given up on my idea of a masthead light for now, it was going to look untidy and involve drilling in places that I wasnt confident of getting a good result.
 Anyway, I quite like the mast, it changes the look a bit and is easily removed to return to standard Sea Rover look.
I had thought about buying Aeronaut cleats, £11 for 10 of them, nicely made but a funny colour. I decided to get my 3d printer out and see what I could come up with.
 Saved myself a bit of money and ended up with quite decent results. They needed sanded slightly and I painted them brass colour as they didnt go with the rest of the boat when they were unpainted, I tried red and black versions.
 These will fit onto the boat with the headed pins I have loads of, from a pin sculpture device. They are 1.2mm diameter, I will drill 1mm holes and press them in.
 I have to sit them in place on the deck and look at them for a while, to decide if I will fit them or not.
 I printed a bigger version for non model use, nice looking wee print, I have been fine tuning my print settings and seem to be producing really nice prints just now.

RST

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2021, 02:39:24 am »

Absolutely loving those seats!

...I don't understand you inrunner motor choice or the quandries with water cooling but appreciate not everyone wants to take the easy path in life (brushed or brushless).

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2021, 03:35:49 am »

Hi, I had bought the motors and speed controllers for another boat but ended up not using them. I know a lower kv motor would have been more suited to sea rover but I had them in stock so I used one of them. I had no idea what kind of seats I was going to make, they just turned out that way.

RST

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2021, 03:50:09 am »

Well the seats are superb anway.  I think "Beckerther" in Japan is one of the few running inrunner motors on various models whith specs that shouldn't normally work.  You should conect with him?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2021, 11:35:10 pm »

My friend finished making his driver seat, he went for the black foam that I tried on mine before I decided to make my mark 2 cushions.
He still has a fair bit to do on his boat but at least the captain can have a seat while he is waiting.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2021, 05:20:15 am »

Seats look great, Andy!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2021, 06:58:41 pm »

I have managed a bit of progress on Sea Rover. My driver and passenger seats are now attached with magnets. Had to use a good few of my collection before they would hold through 2 layers of 3mm liteply. Happy now though.
I made a copper ring for my 3d printed anchor and attached a 'rope'.
I also fitted my 3d printed cleats, I think they look pretty good. I did 2 slightly bigger ones, one for the bow and one for the stern. I will be tying my anchor to the front one, once I design and make a bow roller/eye. I want it from brass so it is strong enough to be used for towing/mooring. And looks.
 I also worked out how I am going to finish the bench seats in the rear well.
 Will post photos once its done.
 The trout is a fishing lure my late Dad had, I de-hardware-ified it a while ago. It is a whopper.😁 I have still to make a decent reel. The fish is actually on my friend's rod.
Its nearly time to move on to finishing off the inside of the cabin. Need to re-flatten the floor, it has developed a hefty curve again.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2021, 02:24:29 pm »

Lovely detailing transforms your boat(s).
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2021, 06:45:07 pm »

Thanks, I hadnt planned on adding much detailing when I started building it, but I decided it needed something extra.
3d printing some details has saved a small fortune as opposed to buying fittings.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2021, 05:48:17 pm »

I thought the mast needed a flag. 😁

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2021, 09:59:01 pm »

That's a good looking model you have build there Andy.
Have you had her on the water many times?

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2021, 12:50:51 am »

Hi,thanks, I have had a few sessions but they were a while ago, I have been laid up for about 7 weeks and havent managed out again yet. I have still to finish my watercooling system as the motor and speed control were getting quite warm. I need to make a water pickup and exit, then connect them up to motor and esc. Not got enough tubing at the moment, but I am not up for going anywhere just yet anyway.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2021, 02:56:24 pm »

I was going to add an end piece to each end of the two bench seats but I had the idea when the canopy was off.
  I had made 4 end pieces the shape shown, a similar shape to the driver/passenger seats, glued the front two onto the seat bases,sat the seat cushions on to mark where the rear one was to go, noticed the slot for the canopy support and quickly realised it wasnt going to work.
 The seat back is tight to the canopy strut without the extra bits glued in. I pulled the bits off before the superglue had set properly and sanded them to remove as much as possible. They will need another coat of varnish now and the seats will be over the area anyway. Ah well. Worth a try.
  I still have to make a reel for my  fishing rod, and some other details for around the rear well area.
 Not least of these is a suitable driver/captain figure. Still not sure what to do. Its definately not going to be the astronaut. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2022, 04:51:03 pm »

I have run this boat a few times now, it has been one of the ones that kept working.
With that fact in mind, and the other fact that some of my boats are not as reliable, I figured I need a rescue boat...... Sea Rover to the rescue, you have been volounteered!
How to rescue? Well first, I would like to try and solve the issues that lead to needing rescued, but I will need to run them to check that.
I thought about servo operated arms, or towing a float with wire hook bits sticking out to hook onto a string on the boat to be rescued.
Towing something was a bad idea, for the risk of it getting tangled in propshaft, so this is my best compromise, it loops over 2 cleats at the front and clips over the rear ones and is held firmly with 2 rubber bands.

Absolutely no idea if it will work, depends on lots of factors, like how far away,will I be able to see it well enough to pick up the tow, will it spear through my  Balsa Javelin? 🙁 I have added heatshrink tubing to lessen the jaggyness.

If the boat to be rescued is in weed, then it wont work for that.
I have an inflatable dinghy but it turns it into more of an expedition than a relaxed rc boating trip.
Not that I would mind that, but I am nowhere near full fitness just now and the dinghy is pretty heavy to lugg about. Also paddling would be too sore just now.

Sometimes my son becomes disconnected from his playstation, if I time it right, I may be able to persuade him to help😁

If you are wondering what the horrible looking masking tape clump is for, it is an fpv camera and mount.
I havent tried it out yet, I have it looking through the front windows, but it could be turned to face the rescue device.
I will report effectiveness after I try it. I will practice somewhere sheltered and keep boats close to shore.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2022, 06:22:26 pm »

Love it, who knew a Sea Rover could be so versatile  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2022, 07:01:55 pm »

I meant to mention that the frame isnt fitted in final position on the boat in the photo, it is just sat on for a look.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.