Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Detail Work, Rigging, Fittings, Figures Etc.

How to make/finish protruding windows

<< < (2/3) > >>

derekwarner:
Apologies....... :embarrassed: ...........Derek

John W E:
Hi there,

This is the way I have made my window inserts in the past.   First of all, I cut thin strips of plasticard, about 3 - 4 mm wide x about 0.5 mm thick - this forms the rim on the inside of the window opening.  Then I paint the window frame the desired colour prior to fitting the glass.    I make the glass from 'old' CD cases.   I place the piece of glass case behind the window opening and draw round with a soluble type felt tip pen (so we can wash the felt tip pen off the glazing) then, obviously cut the window out using the marking as a reference.  Then I glue the window into place using either canopy glue or clearfix from Humbrol.

Here are a couple of pictures to show what I mean

John

warspite:
Do use an oven to soften the clear plastic when doing curved glass on say the corners?

John W E:
Hi there,

I think this is the tug the gent is referring too - and - as far as I can see it hasn't got any rounded windows - so I dont think there is any need for an oven

Damen 1907 side buffers (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

john

RST:
If it were me I'd try the easy option first and mask them off and paint them. Unless I wanted a task. Would probably not notice from a foot or more away looking at the OP's pictures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version