Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does your transmitter have a motherboard battery ?  (Read 1841 times)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Does your transmitter have a motherboard battery ?
« on: April 24, 2021, 06:17:47 pm »

Sorting out my Taranis X9D ready for sailing soon, I discovered that the date and time were wrong and some model settings were corrupt.

I opened the Tx up to check connections and for the first time noticed a small button battery on the board. A quick test showed it to be flat.
Fitted a new CR1220, reset the date, restored the models from the backup and everything is fine.

I should have realised the BIOS would have it's own power supply.
The batteries were 10 for £3.45 on Amazon.

RST

Re: Does your transmitter have a motherboard battery ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 06:22:58 pm »

I don't understand half what you're saying or why an r/c kit even needs to know time of day or date?  Mine has as batteries or a ni-mh pack and very glad no computer controls!  It's entirely pilot error on my r/c stuff!  It all sounds too complicated these days.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 07:08:16 pm »

Sorting out my Taranis X9D ready for sailing soon, I discovered that the date and time were wrong and some model settings were corrupt.

I opened the Tx up to check connections and for the first time noticed a small button battery on the board. A quick test showed it to be flat.
Fitted a new CR1220, reset the date, restored the models from the backup and everything is fine.

I should have realised the BIOS would have it's own power supply.
The batteries were 10 for £3.45 on Amazon.
Will the other 9 be flat and leaking when you need them?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 08:16:43 pm »

I don't understand half what you're saying or why an r/c kit even needs to know time of day or date?  Mine has as batteries or a ni-mh pack and very glad no computer controls!  It's entirely pilot error on my r/c stuff!  It all sounds too complicated these days.
Programmable transmitters with model memories need some form of memory to store the programs. Some come with a memory that retains the data when power is removed so don't need a backup battery. Others need to have power maintained to retain the data, they need a separate battery to stay powered up even if the main battery dies or is removed. The computer you are using is the same, it needs some form of battery to keep power to the memory that tells it what to do when powering up, this can be rechargeable or a primary lithium cell.Why do transmitters have a clock? These tend to have some form of telemetry and receive information from the receiver, they will also have the option of saving this data as a log which has a time and date. Why? some of the possibilities include signal strength to help trace when it is losing the signal (the transmitter can warn you before you lose control). You can measure the voltage of the cells and the current the motor takes during a run, useful for fast models, add in the motor temperature and you get a good idea of what is happening during a run.Most modellers will have no use for this capability so will be happy with simpler radios. These features are basically led by model flyers needs where they are useful for large or fast models.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 08:19:49 pm »

Modern fancy transmitters are computers that have a thing attached to pass a signal to the aerial depending on what it thinks the controls are doing.  Almost all computers since the advent of the IBM PC have needed to know time and date accurately for when they need to converse with the rest of the world.  If nothing else, so that they get the correct updates.
The battery can also be used to keep model memories that have been programmed in alive, but some use a thing called an EEROM, a chip that can be programmed, remember its program through de-powering, but still be re-programmed later.  Electrically Erasable Read Only Memory.

Yes, the other 9 will probably need an alternative use, keeping memory live is very light use, not much more than shelf life usage.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 09:05:24 pm »

Will the other 9 be flat and leaking when you need them?

As ever with this sort of thing, £1.99 each or 10  for pennies more.
Plenty of these radios at our club, the other 9 batteries will be in the spares rack, members put their spares in there and you help yourself if you need something.  No payment, no record of who put in or who took out.

RST

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 09:26:12 pm »

My old 40MHz Hiec semi- computerised TX still works fine thankfully!  I feel sorry for you guys but that's because I spend at least 10h a day at a computer and would never have it in my hobby in terms of radio. I'll shut-up now.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 10:00:15 am »

LOL! I feel your pain and I’m still on the JR 9X2.

Maybe it’s an age thing with me now. Some days I like it other days I look at it and shake head!  {-)

My old 40MHz Hiec semi- computerised TX still works fine thankfully!  I feel sorry for you guys but that's because I spend at least 10h a day at a computer and would never have it in my hobby in terms of radio. I'll shut-up now.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 09:07:52 pm »

I am still using my 27 meg set I bought at the ME exhibition at Seymour hall in the early 70's..., value for money I think..... :-))
Steamed up all the time

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 08:27:26 am »

Hi Phil ...... isn't it time you gave the main spring a wind up after all these years !!!!Hope you are keeping well ...... with luck we may see you at some time this (possibly at Wicksteed) ...... I do like a man rubber! O0 Steve.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 08:31:23 am »

I am still using my 27 meg set I bought at the ME exhibition at Seymour hall in the early 70's..., value for money I think..... :-))
I always enjoy that 'Parkinson's Jitter' and unpredictability of old 27MHz gear.    Especially in aircraft.    :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 10:44:25 am »

Hi, I would worry about batteries at that price.  I suspect they will last far less time than the original ones.  I have some 7.2 volt sub-Cs labelled 3800mAhr with a disappointing performance.  I have a watt meter that registers charge and discharge and when tested they were less than 1450mAh.
It is the old sounds to good to be true adage.
Roy

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 10:48:13 am »

Hi, I would worry about batteries at that price.  I suspect they will last far less time than the original ones.  I have some 7.2 volt sub-Cs labelled 3800mAhr with a disappointing performance.  I have a watt meter that registers charge and discharge and when tested they were less than 1450mAh.
It is the old sounds to good to be true adage.
Roy
Then I won't put them in the club spares box, I will change the battery every 12 months
I once put a Duracell dated 2024  in the car fob and that lasted 6 weeks.  Probably more about how they have been stored.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 10:56:27 am »

Then I won't put them in the club spares box, I will change the battery every 12 months
I once put a Duracell dated 2024  in the car fob and that lasted 6 weeks.  Probably more about how they have been stored.
It's often sweaty fingers and skin dirt & grease bridging between the battery terminals that acts as a permanent slow drain.       I always use gloves when changing coin cells.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.