Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiralux fretsaw replacement parts  (Read 1881 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Spiralux fretsaw replacement parts
« on: April 29, 2021, 04:20:32 pm »

Hi, I have a spiralux fretsaw which overheated during a long wood cutting session. It blew its 3amp fuse, I had a look and couldnt find anything obvious. I blew it all out with airline and tried another 3a fuse, which blew instantly when I switched it on. I tried a 5a, same result so I tried a 13a, sparks from inside the coil unit this time and blew the fuse.
Does anyone know where I could get it repaired or a replacement coil unit?
I am missing my little saw, so I would like to get it fixed if possible.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Spiralux fretsaw replacement parts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 05:27:10 pm »

Forgot to add pictures.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 07:38:54 pm »

A great little saw, couple of things..3 amp fuses long since against regs in the the uk... next take the bottom plate off the machine, my suspicion is the whole bottom end is jammed with fine wood dust along with the motor brushes, quick blow out and spray the motor bushes with electrical cleaner (or WD 40)...go on give it a go  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

RST

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 07:57:15 pm »

5A fuses "banned" rather than 3A? Not that I knew before googling out of pure curiosity.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 09:01:24 pm »

I blew it all out with an airline, mainly to cool it down, before I tried new fuse, there was a lot of dust and small bits of ply, balsa and some depron dust too, I knew thats what had caused the overheating. I was surprised by it not having any form of thermal protection. I have opened up the plastic shroud a bit and can see the lacquer has heated up. I think I can see where the short happened but there are lots of areas that look like they could short too.
Dont really see much in the way of options apart from replacing the whole electromagnet. It is pretty old and I cant find any spares for it, or even a number for the company, possibly been bought over or something.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 11:41:17 am »

Having inspected the coil unit, it looks like I wont be able to repair it easily, and I cant find a source for a replacement coil.
 A suggestion from a friend gave me hope though.
 I have a 12 volt black and decker minicraft jigsaw, quite a good little tool but the blade is prone to bending.
 I taped the jigsaw to the spiralux saw's steel bow, clamped in a spiralux blade and tested it.... It is probably better than it was before the meltdown.
 I made a box to contain the jigsaw, with a heavy ply base to screw the bow bit onto. Instead of taping it to the bow, the jigsaw will be attached to the underside of the saw table. As it was late, and not wanting to annoy the neighbours, I never cut out the saw table. I will do that today and get some pics up when it is finished.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 06:04:42 pm »

I made a top and back for the box, mounted the jigsaw to underside of the top using countersunk brass screws.
 It was then that my friend pointed out that the top had a slight curve on it, so I tweaked it the opposite way a bit, crack! Broke it in half! Waaaahhh!
 I finished mounting it, it is still usable until I make a new top.
 The saw even managed to trim my Sea Rover's brass rudder, quite slowly, but a perfect cut.
 All in all, it seems to be a decent replacement for my dead spiralux saw, very happy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.