Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: engine performance  (Read 1152 times)

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
engine performance
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:59:32 pm »

Hi all
I have a anton cristel steam engine it is not running at full power i have good pressure over 40 psi and plenty of lubrication. But when i disconnect the engine from the condenser it runs perfect  it revs it's backside off both forwards and backwards i only tried this has a last ditch effort because it seamed it wasn't clearing it's self  have checked the tank and connecting pipework all are clear no blockages
My question is why?

Thanking you all in advance
Kind Regards madboats

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
Re: engine performance
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:48:44 pm »

My bet Rafael is gonna tell what's up -- I am sure he must know the Anton engines.

I guess possibly when there is any load on your engine if the piston seals are shot it might act that way. Even if the condenser and pipes are clear, they cause a little backpressure.  Or maybe your exhaust pipes are too small in diameter, or too long a run?

-cm

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:56:51 pm »

A picture of your set up might help, but it does sound like a back pressure problem  :-))
Steamed up all the time

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 09:19:55 pm »

I agree, just like putting a potato up an exhaust pipe.   {:-{

I am not sure of the exact formula,  but my engines that run best always have
exhaust piping that is a bit LARGER in diameter than the connection point at the engine. 
Since we are not really "condensing" the moisture (ie using it to refill the boiler as in the full size boats)
what we are doing is allowing the water and goopy oil to collect in a can for later disposal. 
Not a good idea to just dump it over the side,  makes you look stupid and arrogant, and the people
that run your pond (over here the Parks Department) get "xxxxx" really fast. 

So make sure that all the exhaust flows "easily" with a minimum of restriction of flow. 

Think of a firehose, not a straw. 

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

Son of a Son of a Sailor.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 09:29:54 pm »

A picture of your set up might help, but it does sound like a back pressure problem  :-))

This is my guess too - there must be a restriction on the exhaust side through the separator

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 09:35:31 pm »

Bonjour,

Carl, you are right, I have a dozen of Anton machines including a Cristal : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42f1uoF22NU operating perfectly at 30 PSI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUYI5o97Ldw  :-)) 

Without seeing anything, difficult to help, I would kindly suggest you to check different things :If I assume your pipes are unplugged, would something go wrong when you tighten the nuts and are your steam valve and RC valve opening fully correctly?To check this, this is what you should see at about 20 PSI : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go4IbVXTtZs

Then, you can check the piston sealing by almost blocking the machine with your hand under pressure, you should hear like a locomotive sound and not a continuous breath witch would possibly mean piston rings leaks : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcqVWd-ZceY

Then, to avoid any backpressure, the exhaut pipe should be 1 mm more than the input one, 3 in 4 mm out for mine. Second point, the two exhaust pipes should not face  to each other.If there is an oil separator, does it smoke correctly when the machines runs ?

Last point, does your servo let the Stephenson go to the best opening point ? Sometimes, the far end on each side is not the best, I always control this on the bench to note the appropriate positions. Anton machines in general do not disturb.Sorry not to be able to be more accurate, a video would greatly help us to see the problem. 
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 10:36:24 am »

Thanks for all replies.

Sorry but IT skills are a bit limited when it comes to posting pictures or video. What i can tell the you is my set up is a Martin Howes &  Baylis boiler gas tank & condenser in a Topaz it has run with on problems which I've for twelve years. Some months ago i had performance problem Martin offered to sort it so i sent the whole lot to him he found it to be the safety valve kicking to early so reset it and all was good till this latest problem. I have phoned him but sadly he is ill at the moment. I have also contacted Anton and i am waiting his reply. To try to find the problem all my testing has been done on the bench operating all the controls by hand.
Club members have said get a new condensing tank but i can't see what is wrong with it has it is not blocked but to me it is some kind of s back pressure problem stopping the engine clearing it self. 

Kind Regards  madboats

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 02:50:17 pm »

Ahhh - I must revise my comments. 

I also have a Topaz with a MH&B power plant.  Mine still runs like a dream, but I have not warmed her up this spring. yet.
I can only feel that perhaps you have an engine issue and not necessarily an exhaust problem.

Raphael brings up some good points to test.  Others can no doubt give you some other things to look at. 

Good luck.  Please let us know what you may find.
Jim

Son of a Son of a Sailor.

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 06:11:57 pm »

Hi jpdenver

Yes i have a horrible feeling i may well be a timing problem if so i will have to send it to France.
Still waiting reply from Anton but it is the bank holidey

Regards madboats

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.