Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waveney Cabin Build Help?  (Read 1693 times)

Magso4

• Modelling Fanatic! Amateur Pilot.
  • Shipmate
  • Love a good model, Get to the pond!!
Waveney Cabin Build Help?
« on: April 30, 2021, 04:56:24 pm »

Hello all,
I’ve recently started on my build of a Billings Boats Waveney Class Lifeboat and am having real trouble working out how to build the cabin. I understand the kit if for ages 14+ but my mind really isn’t what it was, and it’s become a sticking point for me.

The cabin uses parts from 3 different sprues and the construction isn’t very well shown, the parts are all marked in the instructions but aren’t marked in the actual kit, this combined with the fact that it uses all 3 kit sprues and isn’t in full scale means it’s very difficult for me to find a physical way of assembling it.

I’ve attached images of all 3 sprues and the instructions and any sort of help from someone who is less clueless than me would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Blake
The sea is the same as it has been since before men ever went on it in boats.
-Ernest Hemmingway

RST

Re: Waveney Cabin Build Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:32:51 pm »

I'm still blocked by malwarebytes from my pc so can't post a link but I can guarantee you I built my first one as a mid teenager and I have another one to start here but Billings look to have down graded the parts over the years.  No working shafts now!?

If you look on billings website. Find the model and download the pdf manual. It's labelled there.  If you desire part numbers (I just checked -they seem to be there), you can copy them over onto the wooden parts.

Magso4

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 06:41:03 pm »

Wow! Just the reply i was looking for, Billings have included a bag that has prop shafts but they’re extremely short and definitely made to have the model look good and not for additional RC possibility or even for making the model have some life on a stand!
Have had to order longer threaded M2 rods for it.
Will have a look on their website, your help is invaluable!
ATB
Blake
-Ernest Hemmingway

RST

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 07:03:57 pm »

No probs. My first thoughts were a bit blunt but I'm trying to learn how to word things so they come across OK.  I know billings are maligned often for their manuals, but take a step back and look at the parts, it's too easy for me to see straight away from your photos. Also, use a roll of tamiya masking tape and dry fit the parts  first, there's not many of them and the diagrams are OK.  I can't comment how they fit as I don't remember my last one having a wooden cabin so when I opened the box for a quick build, saw wood Vs plastic (sure they were plastic before but maybe wrong!) and no working shafts I just went ugg and sat back for a while rather than cracking on.

Rich

RST

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 07:05:53 pm »

Ps if it helps, I just realised my post in "what's in the box" and some old pics of my last one -which still have but wanted to try again as an adult and eventually put side by side as a comparison.

Magso4

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 07:48:19 pm »

No worries! My main issue was with the wood, Where even the manual didnt have it labelled as anything in particular and the lack of anything more than a flat 1mm bit of ply took me off guard.
The plastic bits wouldve sorted themselves out eventually im sure, now its time to dry fit with tape as you recommended, but thank you for clarifiying either way!
Blake
-Ernest Hemmingway

RST

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 08:40:44 pm »

I just dug out my kit and the parts are all numbered in the build manual with what seems 1:1 annotated and numbered plans also? ... Including the layout of the laser cut wood 2125L-2.  Don't think Billings could have done much more apart from the two down-grades on the parts I mentioned before.

Rich

RST

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 12:52:18 am »

PS you don't need longer M2 threads unless I guess you sleeve them with the kit supplied outer shaft then make your own prop tube to suit. Don't make your propshafts from M2 rod alone -they'll just leak like heck.

The original kit had quite nice little jobby's if I recall. A shaft threaded at one end for the prop. Two brass push fit bearings and an outer tube to suit. Worked nicely with a squirt if grease to fill the annulus. I find it strange they don't supply those now and no replacement but they still include a pair of rudder arms for r/c so obviously some misguided cut-backs along the line somewhere. I guess it's not any cheaper now than knocking on 30 odd years ago so they cut back on little things.

Magso4

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 07:51:36 pm »

Yep! the idea was to skin with the m2 tube given, i didnt spot the rudder arms, ill have another look! Painting is coming on nicely...
ATB
Blake
-Ernest Hemmingway
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.