Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor for Vosper MTB  (Read 2796 times)

flag-d

Motor for Vosper MTB
« on: June 11, 2006, 11:15:11 pm »

I inherited a Vosper type MTB.  It is an old model, I believe built from plans in MB mag, sometime in the 60's maybe.  I have recently re-made a few items and patched up and re-painted her and I'd now like to r/c her.  LOA is 36", 1/32 ply over frames hull, quite a light boat, single screw: what motor would anyone recommend?  Nicads or lead acid power?

Any hints much appreciated.

Mike

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor for Vosper MTB
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:21:12 pm »

nicads or ni mh
light and pack a punch with good capacity now
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:01:15 am »

Check out Warships Topics, Deans Gunboat.
I have posted a pic of mine on a 550 motor on 8.4 volts.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:02:18 am »

From hands on experience of an Aerokits 34" Vosper Crash Tender which is probably quite similar in characteristics I would say a Graupner Speed 700 BB Turbo 9.6V running on 12V from a ten cell NiCad or NiMh pack. I would suggest the GP3700mAh cells. This should give you good planing performance.
Alan

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:01:21 am »

Mike, I fully agree with Alan as we have used the same configuration in our 70`CMB. These motors, together with 35mm props and 3700 mAh NIMH packs gives you a full ahead-performance of about 20-25 minutes.

J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

flag-d

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 08:30:18 am »

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.  I think I'll try the 700 @ 12V on Nicads option.  It sounds about right.

This forum really is something else, isn't it?  Ask a question and within hours you get a host of useful replies, even when the question is pretty basic sometimes.  That's what I really like abou this place: firstly, everyone just wants to help, no matter the subject.

Thanks again

Mike

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 10:36:32 am »

But Mike, please make sure the prop-configuratian. We use on 12 Volts usual brass 3-blade props, which are by their shape meant for fast running destroyers. It all works fine, but in a curve we have some slight problems by soaking air under the hull and making the prop ineffective.
Though you should have atry on diferent props, befor you find your final solution.

J?rg

P.S.: I also agree with you, that this forum is really amazing. And if you look through over the nicks, you`ll find lots of names from the "ol` gang" of the MB-forum.
Good to know that the same old mates come up again.  :D
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 10:41:36 am »

Hi Mike,

It should be the Thorneycroft 72'. No step in the deck, 2 tubes and a twin .5 gun tub aft as usual. If it's numbered, as far as I recall, the numerals ran from the 48 to 60. (54 was transfered to the Dutch - that's the only way I can remember)

I was wrong on the other thread about the motors. I converted mine from diesel (ED Bee) to electric and put twin Navy Geared (2:1 380 size) in, since it was easier than trying to line everything up. These, along with twin 7.2V packs were placed in the space under the gun tub with the radio gear under the foredeck. Props were plastic 2 bladers that just seemed to work.

The original had twin rudders hung from the transom with the horns cutting through slots just belw deck level.

She was timed at Eaton Park in Norwich at just over scale and run time was plenty.

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.