Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fibreglass tissue hull  (Read 5321 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Fibreglass tissue hull
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 08:59:39 pm »

The idea to use tights stems at least from a splendid modeller who wrote an article about it in Model Boats some years back. I think tights work well on smaller hulls made of styrofoam and possibly balsa where the model will be lighter than say a plank on frame or larger hull. Also, tights can be bought reasonably (so I have been told).

I reckon that if someone has built multiple hull using the technique successfully (well good enough to risk their reputation in print) then it cannot be that bad.

To quote a popular car restorer on Youtube: 'If it worked, was it such a bad idea?'
Pond weed is your enemy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Fibreglass tissue hull
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 12:35:33 pm »

While not using tights the Dundee Club had several 36r yacht hulls made by a friend whose job was making prosthetic limbs. The hulls were made for the clubs centenary in 1985 to put more yachts on the water (club was formed as a yacht club, a number of 6m yachts were converted to radio as well.) 

A wooden plug was covered by fabric sleeves and resin, this was then removed from the plug after it hardened. I think it may have been under vacuum in an outer sleeve while it hardened. This gave a strong but light shell and the only difference was the outside showed the fabric weave, this could be filled before painting but most didn't bother. ( Some later hulls were made by vacuum forming in plastic but this soon stopped as the plug was being damaged by the heat during moulding.)
We still have a model of the Bell Rock lighthouse produced in the same way for shows and displays.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.