Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern Tow Ropes  (Read 2425 times)

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
Modern Tow Ropes
« on: May 23, 2021, 08:56:29 pm »

Does anyone know where you can purchase 1/35 modern tow rope? The ones I have seen do not have the coloured cord running through them, like the ones I have seen on a Thames Lighterage Tug. Getting the correct size is not too hard, but getting the correct look is hard.

Thanks

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

RST

Re: Modern Tow Ropes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 09:27:28 pm »

What is a "1:35" tow rope please?  What are you trying to model?  You can get all kinds of thread etc from lots of places but even in modelling circles nothing described as scale unfortunately for the newbie.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 10:01:53 pm »

I'm using 1.5 and 5mm nylon cord.The larger cord can be splice and buried. the smaller is a bit more difficult.
 :-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 10:21:25 pm »

find your nearst haberdashery shop .

John

RST

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 10:40:54 pm »

Exactly, a case of some imagination is required and  Google to be ignored!  What is the right answer to the question?

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 11:32:41 pm »

if you want itto loo kauthentic then get a plain rope of the size you want, then some thin thread of the colour you want and get busy with the needle and thread it into the rope.
i dont think you will not find exactly what your after over the shelf.

be good to make your very own cordage..

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 11:48:25 pm »

I picked up a pack of what was described as 'lawnmower cord' at Lidl! A good length of both 1.5mm  and 3.5mm cord, white with red flecks. Looks very authentic. Being 'middle at Lidl', cost was minimal.

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 12:12:23 pm »

learn to use a ropewalk and make your own, you can then incorporate what colour you require, nemesis

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 07:13:43 pm »

Some kite string may work, and if you can find it, some garden centres have thin cord that may work  :-))
Steamed up all the time

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 07:36:23 pm »

Thanks everyone for the ideas regarding the tow ropes, looks like some trips out for ideas. I measured a lot of the tug when I had access to it but not the tow ropes. I wonder if SHWMBO will let me build a rope walk in the garage.

RST I did say what I was modelling in my first post, and thought there would be a set size for Lighterage Tugs tow ropes, obviously there is not.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 08:25:11 pm »

Look on  the well know auction site for 1mm ,1.5mm etc  fishing Dynema all sorts of sizes and colours also trout float line.

Regards
Destroyer42

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 10:41:34 pm »

Are rope sizes linear when scaling?  Or a square or square root function?  If linear, a 1" diameter line for HTML's 1:35 boat would be just a bit smaller than 1/32".  Not too functional for towing.  'course towlines on real tugs would be much larger than 1" diameter. 

Somewhere back in my Coast Guard days a Master Chief told me rope is measured by circumference above ¾ or 1" diameter.

Another fun fact:  For real towlines, 3 strand nylon is a no-no.  Nylon stretches so much under load that when it breaks it can recoil and kill people.  Dacron is low stretch and double braid nylon is OK, too.  I had a ½" polypropylene towline part while trying to unground a big sailboat and it did snap back with a lot of force.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 11:09:08 am »

Imperial measurements are circumference, metric are I believe diameter. Remember the RMAS TuTs when they came home had something like 5.5" wires, then they went to what was I believe called steel rope, which look synthetic made ropes, which were half the size and very light, the TUTs were 35t bollard pull. I remember the coloured tabs, used to be company name on the tape, to stop thieving by other operator's.

RST

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 11:09:42 pm »

Sorry Brian I  my original post but since you've had some obvious answers and some somewhat unobvious ones I'm struggling to comprehend myself so some common sense prevails I think.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.