Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.C.G Ports & Waterways Boat (Build Blog)  (Read 4076 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
U.S.C.G Ports & Waterways Boat (Build Blog)
« on: May 07, 2021, 02:31:36 pm »

Bought this model some years ago at Coatbridge Model Exhibition. I like it's looks nice chunky model for stability in the water. Didn't realise that it was fitted out with running gear circa late 1990s. It had 2 Hitec ESCs, two prop shafts  and prop blades also fitted  2 Torpedo 500 motors. Twin rudders coupled up to a single servo. It had one of those homemade ESC that reduced the speed on the inner motor on a turn and increased the speed on the outer motor. A link to this ESC will be available later. Some pictures to start the blog. The model is built to 1/12 scale

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.C.G Ports & Waterways Boat (Build Blog)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 02:37:02 pm »

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 11:39:25 am »

Some more pictures of the hull. Not so great and its out with the P38 and the Black and Decker sander.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:45:13 am »

Few more pictures before we  get to priming. Shows the old fittings of 1990s 2 Hitec top of the range ESC s of the day. 2 Torpedo motor believe these are still in producing today. Small Rx I don't know much about this but tried to see if it work as I had a crystal or the frequency it was on The circuit where there is a link on this thread. Picture 1 is the running gear
(fittings). Made a small balsa box to house ESA and battery pack and glued and clamped it in position. Stripped the motors / couplings to have a little examination. Noticed starboard motor out of line but as everything is glued and its ti balsa I  left it alone. Sure the balsa would give way before the motor mount. Says to remove balsa frame when hull is built. Never heard of this before. A picture of the real boat

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:06:23 pm »

Some pictures of the build. This is the rear step up on the transom note the little B.A. bolts and the supplier You'll find in the pictures sometimes the primer is on and sometimes not. This is the ongoing P38 sand P38 sand and on and on.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:18:03 am »

More into the build and its rub down and lots of coats of primer /filler finished off in white. Looks ready to spray so its black on the hull bottom. Didn't turn out great so back to an other rub down. This time by hand that way you can feel what your doing. Backtrack a little built the step on transom platform. Once glue had dried I used 8 B.A. bolts for simulation. Then gave a good few coating of gray primer. This will be a wet area on the model when in the water. Also hope the rudders don't need to come out. Last picture is fitting the the comb strips for the cabin which I wanted it removable.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 02:23:55 pm »

Looking Good Seaspray!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 04:31:54 pm »

Cheers Martin back in the groove.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 09:59:06 am »

Onward with the build. The first is Victor Baca's model bit grainy picture as it was lifted of the 1999 magazine with the write up on building the model. Next two pics are the damaged packet and the half round wood  broken. The suppler was good at replacing items. Found it very hard to find half round wood when I needed it. 4th and 5th picture fitting the rubbing strips using the half round wood. You've seen this picture before unfortunately the back paint was sprayed too far up the hull. So another rub down and  a spray  of gray primer start again. Last picture you can see the primer has shown up more uneven  rubbing and filling to do. 

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 08:44:09 am »

Cut out the vents and gave the a rub down and primed. Prepared / masking  the rear of the model to spray ribs and edges of step on transom platform. Next picture the black spraying came up nicely. Masking the deck edges ready for the top coat of gray I chose gray as I had plenty of it and it looked good. That  came up nicely and notice I have the correct line where the black should meet the white on the hull. Painted the vent slots after deck was dry. On to the cabin this is a template for the cabin front.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 10:46:44 am »

Wow! Nice paint job. Always liked the USCG paint scheme.
Did Billing boats have a kit of this boat years ago??
Hama

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 09:41:57 pm »

Hama
The colour scheme was my own choice. Using Halford's rattle cans. I think there I lot easier and faster and cheaper than the airbrush. The ship on my avatar is being built on another site Norman McLeod  Rogers Canadian Icebreaker. and its a nice colour scheme to.
Billings did have a kit out then

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumbgallery.php?t=783514&do=threadgallery&type=img&group=none&starter=no

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 08:19:52 pm »

Brief reply tonight. Got the sashes in the wrong place had to do a rub down and spray them in right place. Pic 3 is the packet of sashes bought from CMB and contain various sizes. Pic 4 there is four of these strips. Two each side front and rear I think they might be for towing. Made from lolly sticks and brass B.A. bolts them primed spray and fitted. One I had trouble with getting through the rubbing strip and had to fit before painting. This model has at been a pain to do at times

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 11:54:29 am »

Brief reply tonight. Pic 4 there is four of these strips. Two each side front and rear I think they might be for towing. Made from lolly sticks and brass B.A. bolts them primed spray and fitted. One I had trouble with getting through the rubbing strip and had to fit before painting. This model has at been a pain to do at times
These are lifting points to allow the boat to lifted from the water by a crane.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 04:40:36 pm »

Cheers Jim thanks for the information.

Seaspray

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 07:36:58 pm »

On with the cabin build. From the plan the part templates were put on to ply. Cut out sanded to shaped to the angles required. Second last picture the cabin's window front and top sanded to mate with the angles for the front windows and roof. Then I cut out the windows. Parts offered up to check fit altered then glued. Note the big piece of ply at the back of cabin thats there  to keep everthing square.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 03:29:09 pm »

On with the cabin build. First pic is a another view from the starboard side some parts glued others offered up. Next that piece of ply was used to keep everything square and at the right width, Later to become the rear of the cabin. Here it is with the template from the plan glued to it. Next windows and door cut out. I had intended to have the door to be able to open. Next cleaned up and glued in place. Cut from scrap the two steps up to the deck, you'll see them later spray and glued in place. Next assembly of the lower cabin parts completed.[size=78%] [/size]

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 11:45:54 am »

The cabin tricky with a few curves. First picture is the roof's template and then drawn on ply with the templates for the raised part. Next main part of the roof being offered up ready to trim to shape. main part in position with the raised sides in place. These needed to have a slight curve sanded to fit on roof slant. You'll also see I had to raise the rear part of the cabin as I made a measuring mistake. Next pic raised part in position did it  want to sit right no. A good set of clamps did the trick. Just to make sure added some more PVA glue round all the joints again plus the front window frame fitted. Left this for a day or two to set. Next two pics. Once set I went round all edges and joins to fill the gapes in then finished off with a wipe with a clean wet rag.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 07:30:54 pm »

Gave the whole cabin a spread of P38 then a good sanding down as the ply was old and grainy. It looks a  lot better in the next picture. Picture 4 and 5 a coat of Exe-Coat was applied and rubbed down with a fine
grade of sandpaper. Next up on to my spray pod and a few light coat of Harford's primer about 3 coats then a couple of appliance white to finish off. Next you can see it has been a nice spray job as I am now offer up a template of the outside window frame. The last picture is a piece of sprayed plastic tope I wanted to see if it would stretch  and stick all the way around the door and it does.

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 04:51:06 am »

Looking great :-)) .

Cheers from SoCal,

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 07:35:51 am »

Mark Many thanks the model is finished just doing the blog catch up

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2021, 02:26:54 pm »

Really have to push this build on pictures 1-3 are the window frames templates on the thin ply ready to cut out then little sanding to clean them up and a spray of gray, same colour as the rear deck. Picture 4 -8 the  supplier of the B.A. nuts and bolts I will be using, The  roof support that the fire hose rests on cut to size marked out and drilled for the bolts. The bolts are in place and lastly sprayed red. The siren / load hailer in position constructed using a round piece of balsa, by drilling out a centre sand to shape and made a little round piece to insert into the drilled hole.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2021, 09:21:39 am »

The cabin interior and fittings. The first four pictures are the two seats in construction when finished there sprayed black and fitted in position. Next two are the cabin steps built and offered into position. The last four are the the interior build stages and sprayed.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 10:21:12 am »

These parts maybe for assisting towing. First picture the template for the hatches theses open for access beneath decks. Next parts used for the build. The other template these don't open just a tow stay at mid ships. Cut from the template drilled and sanded to size with a smooth edge. B.A. bolt heads screwed into place and then next pic all other parts to complete build. lastly the two hatches in various modes of construction. Final pic all built up ready for a coat of Ez-Coat then a spray of white paint.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 09:54:06 am »

The mast built using brass tube and rod. First picture is a drawing showing the navigation light system. Mostly the lights are all white with the exception of the lower aft one which is yellow. This is light up when towing. Thanks to C G Bob for his information. Next picture is the LEDs used with legs cut off sprayed white and and one yellow, later glued into their position. The A frame that supports the mast when mounted on the bridge roof. Used a simple nail it down as a way to get the right angles and assist soldering. The mast sprayed gray primer one or two adjustment needed here. Next mast offered on to cabin roof and the paint was scrapped off from under the wooden feet and roof to have a good gluing surface. Next a final spray  coat of yellow. Next picture LEDs fitted also the blue warning light. This was made of different sizes of wooden dowel a dab of Eze-Kote with a spray on top part blue and silver on bottom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.