Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrifying an old powerboat  (Read 986 times)

chris1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Electrifying an old powerboat
« on: May 09, 2021, 06:29:12 am »

Hi gents. My Dad has a very old fibreglass model that he designed himself 40+ years ago, based around 8 Sunny Levi designs. Used to run pretty well with an HP 61 Gold Cup.  He would like to run it but go electric without breaking the bank.  I have two 3S batteries (5000mAh, 60C) so could use those.  The boat is approximately one metre long and has a submerged drive, which he is keen to retain as the drive and rudder are all home made.  The HP 61 produced 2.1hp (roughly 1650 watts) at 16,000rpm according to google.  What motpr and esc would you recommend I look for? Thank you.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
Re: Electrifying an old powerboat
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:48:46 am »

I don’t know how much you know about brushless motors (I’m a relative beginner) so don’t want to say the obvious, but one factor is the rpm that you want as a maximum I suppose. The “kV” of brushless isn’t kilovolts but “thousands of rpm per volt”. So:

1000 kV on 3S (11.1v?) is 1000 x 11.1 = 11,100rpm no load

500 kV on 6S is the same rpm.

This is where my knowledge isn’t good,  but the wattage of the motor is also a factor i believe. Prop size will feed back to the motor. What determines the ESC rating I can’t  seem to find much definitive info.

For reference I’m planning on putting a 1900kV with 120A marine ESC on 2S in a 1 metre Lesro Javelin but others have got lower kV with higher cell pd. my spec was taken from a Proboat combo as I hadn’t found this forum when I was trying to make up my mind. My version isn’t cheap at all.

I’ve found this thread that may help:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,58719.0.html

This motor is mentioned in that thread, but I don’t know how it will suit you? https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/262234/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9Dgzvm41QIV2KntCh3nngVeEAYYAiABEgLjwPD_BwE

It’s a minefield with lots of different combinations of motor/prop/cell count and ESC.

Sorry probably not much help, but wanted to try.... :-))

2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:44:40 am »

Hi Chris, which Sonny Levi boat is it and what's the size of the prop? The boat shape may have a bearing and the prop size you want to drive certainly will.
Lovely boats as well
Cheers
Tony

chris1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:25:51 am »

Stuw, I'm reasonably familiar and comfortable around brushless motors having flown rc planes for a few years.  But whereas there are some simple guidelines (watts per pound) for different aircraft types, i have found nothing similar for boats.  I'm leaning towards a hobbyking T600 880kv on 5S lipos right now.
Tony, it's not any particular Levi design but a mix-together of 8 of them, with a very deep vee throughout.  I'llget my Dad to measure the prop diameter and seeif there are any markings.  It's got a BA, not metric, shaft with a coupling to bring the driveline parallel to the keel, which I am tempted to rip out and replace by a flex drive.  Will get some pics later

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:50:25 pm »

Apologies then for my “explanation”! Oops. There doesn’t seem to be much definitive on this for boats as you say. Lots of helpful info on here though, some of it buried away.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 07:55:07 pm »

deleted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.