Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: That darned apostrophe  (Read 2283 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: That darned apostrophe
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 05:54:28 pm »

Greg,

They say that there is no such thing as co-incidence, but, having just read your post  . . . .

In the Times yesterday, (Monday 10th May), there was an obituary of a gentleman called John Richards, who has just passed away at the grand old age of 97, whose claim to fame was that he was the founder of the Apostrophe Protection Society. Following a career in local newspapers he founded the Society in 2001 with the stated aim of 'highlighting the misuse of this most misunderstood of punctuation marks'. He attracted worldwide interest, and received a literature award from Harvard University.

He wound up the Society two years ago, citing advancing years, and stating 'the apostrophe is dying'. A glorious British eccentric, and a life well-lived.

Mike

Yes, an odd coincidence.  A shame he thought the apostrophe was dying after all his efforts.  Its (!) misuse can still make a nonsense of a sentence, as can misuse of other punctuation, as Eats, Shoots and Leaves well demonstrates.  And we still see the occasional post, here and elsewhere, without a single full stop or capital letter.  I wonder if the writer knows how difficult it makes it for their readers.

I am all for a vibrant, evolving language but there have to be some universal rules to make text understandable and unambiguous.  I really believe that correct punctuation is not an optional extra.  (And yes, I understand the issue of dyslexia - my brother is dyslexic.)

Right, proof read twice.  Just in case.  %)

Greg

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 06:03:40 pm »

Yes, getting punctuation wrong can be a catostophe...

Colin

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 03:18:11 pm »

I ain't never made but wun mistake in spellin in may laff,, and win i done it I'd scene it, and taken in after is but et hard alredy wint'

Took 3 minuets to right this, fiteing spell chex the hole whey.   :embarrassed: <*<

Spelling and grammar count, guys.  Check your writing before  you post, please.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.