Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless watercooled esc question  (Read 1546 times)

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
Brushless watercooled esc question
« on: May 14, 2021, 10:29:32 pm »

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a brushless esc for my upcoming RoMarin Najade build. I've noticed that a lot of the controllers do not come with connectors, I've heard horror stories of lipo's exploding etc due to poor soldering on the connectors, I'm cr@p at soldering so want to avoid this. Is there a way around this??.....I'm thinking WAGO connectors but not sure of the safety of these!
The esc's I've so for looked at are the ZTW Shark 60a and the Hobbywing Sea King 60a. The motor I'm contemplating is the Overlander Tornado Thumper V3 3650 1500kv which I'm hoping to run on 11.1v lipo's in paralell.

Looking forward to some advice.

Dave
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

RST

Re: Brushless watercooled esc question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:36:00 pm »

For the sake of clarity might I point out the title of "water cooled" and what that has to do with it because there are many advocates of not needing it if things are sized correctly.

...I've never heard of soldering and lipos exploding -just heard of fires due to them not being used right. Can you expand on that?

As for waygos I worked for an electrical company who wouldn't use them, not to say they aren't appropriate in other circumstances.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:43:18 pm »

Hi RST, I'm new to this brushless malarky and was under the impression that brushless motors and esc had to be watercooled especially on high reving motors in a hull capable of planing/semi planing.

I was told by a model shop owner that connectors have to be soldered properly if not fire will ensue, may be I was fed a load of dangly ones but advice is advice whether wrong or right!

Wago's are a hit and miss thing and opinions seem to be split, I know of some that advocate thier use in model boats but I'm not overly convinced....but whats the alternative??..........good old choccy blocks????

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:32:49 pm »

Dave, please don't take this the wrong way, it's kindly meant. The real answer is to learn to solder properly, it's a nearly essential skill for modelers, it's simple, kids can do it. Ideally get someone who's been doing it a long time to help you, every club will have people who help.
 I'm from a different generation, I learnt when I was 10 years old as many did, and it's been useful all my life. Go for it.
Charles

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 11:33:52 pm »

You do not need to be highly skilled to solder XT60 or bullet connectors....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLgZkAGgV0o

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 07:17:07 am »

Thanks Charles and Kimmel for the encouragement, its something I've always shied away from as I have had really bad experiences with past attempts at soldering which could either make or break a project. So, I'm going to have a practice, I have some cable and a few connectors kicking about and use them to trial my new found 'skill'

Thanks again chaps, really appreciated.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 10:16:07 am »

Most soldering problems stem from either not enough temperature or unclean metal surfaces, or both.
The required temperature needs to be in the item being soldered, tag, wire, whatever.  Applying a hot iron and solder to a cold or unclean piece of metal just results in a blob of solder sitting there, barely attached.  This means a big enough, hot enough, iron to heat the bit of metal in the area where soldering is to happen BEFORE THE HEAT TRAVELS TO A PLACE WHERE IT IS UNWANTED.
A poor joint in a low power part of the system just gives uncertain operation.  A poor joint in a place where high current is expected makes a spot where power is converted into heat, possibly more than the surroundings can handle.  That's the fire risk of a bad join, quite apart from the circuit not working reliably.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 05:07:27 pm »

One thing I would suggest is getting decent solder. It's amazing how many there are out there and how many are ridiculously difficult to "wet" the surface, even a well cleaned one. Personally, I use Weller but ask around for advice.
Tony

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 09:14:47 pm »

For soldering at home then make sure you have lead/tin solder. I use Weller as that was what was available when I bought it. I still use old RadioSpares thin solder for smaller components. Some suppliers provide lead free solder, this has a higher melting point and is intended for industry as it doesn't produce toxic lead fumes in use. However many hobbyist soldering irons have difficult in reaching the melting point and won't produce a good joint. When soldering look for a shiny silver joint when being heated, if all you get is a dull grey then the iron isn't hot enough.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 09:02:01 am »

Thank you all for all your input and advice, this is exactly why I love this forum, it's so full of knowledgeable,helpful and kind people who are always willing to impart their experience to those that are not yet in the know about certain things. I am humbled.

I shall have a bash at soldering on some spare cable and connectors and go from there. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again,

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.