Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it just age related? ( Twin ESC's )  (Read 1613 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Is it just age related? ( Twin ESC's )
« on: May 15, 2021, 11:29:24 am »

OK, I'm out of my comfort zone so please be kind and advise!
This is my first foray into scale powerboats. I have twin brushless motors, two batteries and two ESCs. I would like to use two runs of battery/esc/motor controlled from a single channel on the Rx. Is it just a case of using a Y lead off the Rx with one of the ESC red wires cut or have I missed something basic?

{:-{ Tony

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Is it just age related? ( Twin ESC's )
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:18:07 pm »

This is my first foray into scale powerboats. I have twin brushless motors, two batteries and two ESCs. I would like to use two runs of battery/esc/motor controlled from a single channel on the Rx. Is it just a case of using a Y lead off the Rx with one of the ESC red wires cut or have I missed something basic?

Basically the method described is all you need for a simple setup. It does have one of the batteries with an extra drain for the electronics but this is  minimal compared to the motors. If your transmitter has mixing available you can use two channels for your throttle mixed in the transmitter so both esc are driven equally.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 12:39:44 pm »

That's what I do Tony, a simple Y lead, simple works best for me. I've heard some people say one motor can start a fraction of a second before the other, but I've never noticed anything.
Charles

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »

Thanks for that chaps. I hoped that was the case. I actually tried it yesterday but the Rx seemed to be bound but the motors took an inordinate amount of time to signal that it had got the message and I assumed I'd mucked up somewhere.I just wanted to make sure.
Cheers
Tony :-))
PS I assume that I'm correct in cutting 1 red wire?
T

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 02:38:10 pm »

Yes, cut one red wire (or pull it from the plug), on one side of Y lead. Most ESC's feed supply voltage to the receiver (Rx) call BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit), if both ESC's are feeding voltage back down a common wire (supply rail), they'll fight each other and could cause problems. Cutting a 'red wire' will prevent that.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 02:48:18 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 03:42:54 pm »

Thanks Boss!

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:17:43 pm »

Thanks for that chaps. I hoped that was the case. I actually tried it yesterday but the Rx seemed to be bound but the motors took an inordinate amount of time to signal that it had got the message and I assumed I'd mucked up somewhere.I just wanted to make sure.
Cheers
Tony :-))
T
Some ESCs take a bit of time to set themselves up when first connected to the receiver and powered up.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 02:43:16 pm »

The wife keeps telling me I'm getting old and I know I'm impatient so obviously 2 cardinal sins as far as brushless is concerned!!!! %) Cheers everyone,Tony

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 06:35:44 pm »

You'll probably find that the brushless ESC will have to initialise first then the motor will make a number of bleeps depending on the number of cells in the pack, only then will it respond to throttle. Think of it as it's equivalent to your computer booting up after you switch it on, only a lot faster.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 07:09:42 pm »

Very true but the old ESCs used to 'come on line' immdediately so progress isn't always progress. Just as LiPos provide more power in some situations but in many cases NiMH cells are a better bet, cheaper, easier to charge and manage and last much longer. As always, horses for courses, but some people always want 'the latest and best' although it is not necessarily the most appropriate option. I do ask myself, why would anyone want to use LiPos in a 2.4Ghz TX when alkalines or low discharge NiMH cells are a much cheaper no brainer?

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 10:01:31 am »

'the latest and best'
Don't always go together, "latest" and "best" can be regarded as separate qualities.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 11:34:09 am »

As always, horses for courses, but some people always want 'the latest and best' although it is not necessarily the most appropriate option. I do ask myself, why would anyone want to use LiPos in a 2.4Ghz TX when alkalines or low discharge NiMH cells are a much cheaper no brainer?

Colin
Probably because you can get more capacity in the same sized pack. Also NiMh cells are not necessarily cheaper than an equivalent LiPo. Alkalines may be cheaper to buy but in the long run they need constant replacement so end up more expensive. So far I have only replaced the alkaline cells in one Tx and the LiPos gave a longer run time and needed to be charged less often. The one advantage the NiMhs had was that the plug in charger could be used while the LiPo had to be removed to charge.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 11:39:08 am »

If you're into scale, you really need a combined esc 'mixer' that will slow the inside motor in any turn. The set up you have will just drive both motors at the same speed which will result in unscale like turns because the inside motor will be fighting the outside one.
Component Shop sell the ACTion range of such devices.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 12:46:05 pm »

Agreed about about a mixer being useful but, to be honest, these are experiments for me and I want to see how the basic setup works before I add any extras. My main love is "oddities" in the slower categories and the next years worth are either half complete or in planning stage!
 :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.