Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DECAPERM or HECTAPERM What have i got ?  (Read 1002 times)

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
DECAPERM or HECTAPERM What have i got ?
« on: May 16, 2021, 05:23:12 pm »

DECAPERM / HECTAPERM
first off I have a problem as in no idea what this realy is. from memory its a DECAPERM but memory is like the lottery nowdays.
I do know I bought this back in the 1980's and I know it was expensive at the time, I had 2 of them and they were to go into a spear fish.
that model got destroyed before it ever hit the water..... I dont remember what battery I had for them ?,, .
it is definitely 2.75 to 1 on the geared end. ... shaft size I am making 3.8mm ? actual body of motor is 40mm diameter
motor weight is 10 ounces. decal on the motor has long since been gone, just remember it was a paper type decal.
marks on this motor are from being in the model tool box getting knocked about.. it has not done 30 minutes run time since new..
my questions are as follows.
1  how do I know for sure what it is ? Decaperm / Hectaperm ?
2/ What exactly is the voltage for these things , as ive seen some say 6 volt and some say 12 volt ?
3/ what sort of size prop can these actually push as in diameter  and pitch....
4/ what is the Rpm of one of these ?
5/ are these greedy for power ? as in what sort of battery for it...

I am still farting about trying to decide what motor and battery set up to put in a 39 inch semi scale planning hull. empty boat weighs.
I dont want stupid speed and not even after full planning speed, ( would be good but not needed0 im realy after a real 8mph plus.
I was thinking of the barracuda motor but the weight of that is a lot  more than this, plus this take up no room compared to the bigger motor.
Decaperm /Hectaperm weighs 10 ounces, the barracuda weighs 2lb 2 ounces, so its a huge difference of 1 1/2 pound and that a lot in a little boat.

The boat weighs 6 3/4 pound with shaft and rudder in place no radio no batteries.

any info on this and its suitability would be good.... this time ill write down what it is...

pics to show it.

phill

RST

Re: DECAPERM or HECTOPERM What have i got ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 12:31:38 am »

You seem to have 2 threads on similar/same thing?  Is it worth merging the two threads together as no reply here?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: DECAPERM or HECTAPERM What have i got ?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:15:39 am »

Hi PJ, if the measurement is across the body of the motor it is a Decaperm.  The motor should be marked in black print for name and voltage.  Use a magnifying glass to see if there is anythng still there.

See this web site for all the Marx motors.  http://www.eaelec.com/ea_hobby/tips3.htm

I do not think the Decaperm would quite do what you want.  The prop size could be anything up to and including 50mm or may be a bit more.  The pitch will be 1.4 or 1.7 times the prop diameter but don't worry about it.

Are you aware of the BLack Park model boat club in the Bloack Park country Park.  Nice guys and lots of advice available.
Roy

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 10:32:33 am »

The geared decaperms is a good motor for a 1 meter ship model, but not for a 1 meter planing Hull. The simple answer is to get a brushless motor and ESC, far more efficient. Search for similar sized models on the forum, eg, some fairey marine models and the aerokits  sea commander and read about the set ups others have used.
Charles

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 12:20:57 pm »

Roy Cv . yes i  know about the black park model boat club..

i was running boats here in early 1970's

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 12:31:20 pm »

Chas you are probably right mate..
i think i will probaly sell it and look for a brushless set up.

now to work out how much its going to cost going brushless ????

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 01:20:55 pm »

Hi PJ the club has members who could could sort out your problems as they have been running boats there for a few weeks now. 

I can introduce you to the Chairman if you want?
Roy

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 04:22:41 pm »

im ok.. thanks. I only go there now and then to walk the dog..

might have a look up there sunday if its not raining.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.