Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vulcan to the skies  (Read 12506 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Vulcan to the skies
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 11:06:26 pm »

Back in the car and then drive past a sign RAF WADDINGTON.

On a visit to the UK in 1997, my wife, daughter and I were driving along in a rented camper van when my wife said "I can see aircraft". Almost automatically, the van performed a right turn into a parking area ;), which turned out to be for RAF Waddington. A NATO exercise was in progress, and F16s, F18s and Mirages were taking off in twos. The noise was unbelievable, as the end of the runway is almost on the road, and traffic lights stop traffic when aircraft are landing. Quite a crowd collected after we stopped, and the pilots were waving to the people as they were taxiing into position. My daughter got a great photo of a NATO Boeing 707 on short final above the road, while I took some video.
Peter.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:39 pm »

Ah, sweet bird of youth.........It's amazing how we remember these great moments but forget the days of putting the mortgage money together and sleepless nights with young kids.  Not to mention having to get up at 3.30am to walk five miles to work on frosty mornings to take the first Paddy bus out of the depot.....Happy days..........And I haven't forgotten running down that steep hill to get the Hovis.. ;D ;D {-) {-) :D

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 11:04:12 pm »

Short notice I know. If you read this now 11-00pm Friday tune to History+1 now

The long Build

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:17 pm »

Thanks for the info , recording it. Missed 15mins..

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 10:07:46 am »

Good news, the following extract has been taken from the Vulcan to the Sky website this morning.  O0 O0

Triumphant return for Vulcan XH558
Thursday, July 03, 2008 - VTTS

VULCAN TO THE SKY

NEWS RELEASE

Triumphant return for Vulcan XH558!

When Vulcan XH558 left RAF Waddington on 23rd March 1993, many thought that, sadly, it would be the last time she would be seen in Lincolnshire and that she would never return. Thanks to the passion, optimism, determination and commitment of so many people, led by the Chief Executive of the Vulcan to the Sky Trust, Dr Robert Pleming, the aircraft which took to the skies once again in October 2007, will now make an emotional return to appear at the Waddington International Airshow on the 5th and 6th July.

XH558 is today destined to receive its all important “Permit to Fly” from the Civil Aviation Authority and this will allow her to fly to RAF Waddington and to appear on static display at the Show, to be seen by the many thousands who will visit.

XH558 was based at RAF Waddington most recently between 1982 and 1992, but Waddington was also her first RAF home after she was finished by Avro in July 1960. XH558 will receive a special welcome home from both the residents of the County and those who attend the Airshow. Since being purchased from the RAF by C Walton Ltd in 1993, XH558 has been based at Bruntingthorpe Airfield, Leicestershire, where she was kept in running order by a team of dedicated volunteers. XH558 went into the hangar for a technical survey in 1999 to verify whether she could be restored to flight. Following a fundraising campaign that raised £millions including a successful bid for cash to the Heritage Lottery Fund, the extensive and highly complex engineering project commenced in 2005 and was eventually completed in 2007.

Dr Robert Pleming said: “Words cannot fully express what it means to me and all of the team at Vulcan to the Sky to finally see XH558 appear on the airshow circuit once again. It is the culmination of eleven years of effort and is a huge testament to the determination and commitment, not only of our immediate team, but also all of those who have helped along the way. It’s so appropriate, and a real bonus, that XH558’s first public appearance will be at RAF Waddington. I think everyone will find it a very emotional occasion indeed when the Vulcan appears in the skies again above Waddington, and makes her first landing at her home base in some 15 years. All of the hard work that has been put into this unique project is now being rewarded and all of those who have contributed can rightly feel very proud of this achievement.

I want to  thank everyone for the tremendous support that we have received since the inception of the project. It mustn’t be forgotten that we would never have been able to reach this point in the rollercoaster history of this unique project without the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, a number of extremely generous individuals, including most recently Eddie Forrester, Managing Director of Aerobytes, whose latest donation has funded our appearance here at Waddington and which will also ensure our appearances at RIAT at Fairford and Farnborough later this month.

It’s extremely important that I also thank all those many many people who have donated so very generously to enable to us to return this, the ‘People’s Aircraft’, to the public at airshows around the country. Equally importantly, I would also like to acknowledge the huge technical and financial support that has been provided by Marshall of Cambridge Aerospace Ltd, without whose expertise, generosity and commitment we would not be seeing the Vulcan flying.

The Vulcan to the Sky Trust still faces significant challenges in obtaining the ongoing funding required to keep XH558 in the air, and to deliver on our commitments to Educate and Inspire the Young. Our search for commercial sponsorship has yet to bear fruit and this has been a tremendous disappointment to us – the economic climate for sponsorship could not be worse.”

Rusty Drewett, Commercial Manager for Vulcan to the Sky said: “To make this project financially viable we simply have to attract a commercial sponsor. Whilst the search to attract sponsorship continues, we are now also looking at other methods of funding to secure the future of the aircraft, including the introduction of a Standing Order Scheme, enabling individuals to make a small regular monthly payment, which will be used directly to support the aircraft. We know that the public are desperately keen to see the Vulcan and we hope that they will continue to offer their support to enable us to achieve this objective.”

To donate to Vulcan to the Sky visit vulcantothesky.com or call 0116 2478145.

To find out more information about the range of sponsorship opportunities that is available from Vulcan to the Sky, please call Michael Trotter on 07803 141483.

kiwi

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 12:02:59 pm »

The Vulcan, now that brings back memories, one in particular. I was only a lad still at primary school when the new international airport was opened at Rongotai in Wellington, NZ. The Vulcan was on a goodwill tour of the commonwealth and it was advertised that even though the runway was at the minimum length for the Vulcan, it would land on this auspicious day.
Anyway, Dad got us up onto the public viewing balcony on top of the terminal building (all single storey in those days) an me and my brother wedged hard against the handrail. Me looking over the top (just) and little brother through the bars. A hush descend on the crowd when the Tanny announced that everyone should look to the south as the Vulcan was making its approach. Sure enough here it came just floating into a gentle breeze from the north (most unusual for a city know for its hurricane force southerlies). Everything fine and what a sight.
Then as it approached the end of the runway ( which at each end is some 20-30feet above the road running across the end) a gentle rock of the wings just before the wheels cleared the top of the embankment. (Both north and south approaches are over the sea, north from the harbour, south from the southern ocean)
Well, a puff of dirt from the left main undercarriage before all hell broke loose. The pilot must have slammed all throttles through the gates into emergency settings. That aircraft didn't fly along the runway before lifting up into the blue. It launched itself straight from that point and quickly disappeared up into the blue heading north to Ohakia airforce base, where after jettison fuel and making a number of passes so ground crew could have a look at the undercarrage leg, (still hanging in the breeze) before landing safely. Dug a trench 30 feet ling and 6 inches deep in the grass at the top of the embankment, which had just been sown in grass.
Thats the fastest I have ever seen an aircraft of that size take to the air, and I spent numerous days at Heathrow watching Concorde coming and going. The only thing I have seen faster was the F-18's at Townsville Australia during exercises, with full afterburn.
Was suitably impressed as a lad and still am, magnificent aircraft, both those British designs.
Kiwi

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 01:47:36 pm »

I don't think I am giving away any State Secrets, but in the days of the "4-minute warning", a flight of three Vulcans was always on QRA (Quick Reaction Alert?) at RAF Waddington. They invariably seemed to do a practice scramble when the groundcrew were eating a meal. The tannoy would go, airmen would dash for the door and the transport would scream off to the dispersal. Minutes later the earth-shattering sound of 12 Olympus engines heading up and east would shake the mess hall. To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington, I don't know what it did to the enemy, but it certainly made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

chingdevil

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:02 pm »

I am not sure if the Vulcan will make the RIAT this year but she will be flying everyday at Farnborough 14th to 20th July.

Brian

Wiggy

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 07:09:05 pm »

Hi to all who don't live in the north east.

Just been announced on 'Look North' at tea time that the Vulcan WILL be flying at RAF Waddington Open Days this weekend and has been given it's 'display' ticket. O0
The only problem now is will the cloud base be high enough for all the displays to do their full programs as it's forecast possible heavy rain for Saturday and heavy showers for Sunday. :'(
Not that i'll be there because some of us have to run our scale qualifier at Balne Moor on Sunday  :)

Hope all those going to Waddington enjoy it.

Paul.

Alastair_I

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 08:59:34 pm »

Last time I saw a Vulcan in the air was the last of the Finningley air shows.. minimum speed, maximum thrust low pass down the length of the runway at about 20'.. the vibrations completely wrecked the car alarm on my dads Rover and we had to disconnect the speaker to get it to shut up.  Incredibly impressive.

Closest to that since was driving along a quiet Norfolk road when four Chinooks on their way to exercise on the Stanta training ground went overhead at about 30' in close formation.. now that really shook the little old Fiat Uno I had at the time..

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 01:20:46 pm »

just looked at the RIAT website, the vulcan will be there this year.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 02:23:55 pm »

RIAT (Fairford) cancelled on Saturday 12th July due to heavy rain and waterlogged car parks.

Hopefully event will go ahead on Sunday as planned. Advisable to check before travelling though.

Apparently tickets for Saturday will NOT be valid for Sunday although refunds will be available.
Further info from the website.  http://www.rafcte.com/airtattoo/

FC

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 08:11:12 pm »

I pesume that many of you watched the "Fly-Past" yesterday. As always an air show is difficult to televise. But why did the BBC have to have such an inept pair of presenters. The male one obviously hadn't a clue as to what he was talking about. The female one was relegated to vaccuous interviews. Where are presenters like Raymond Baxter these days. OK, I know that times move on, but with a spectacle such as this I really would have thought that the (male) presenter could have been a lot more clued in and done a bit more homework...or is that asking too much.
Notes from a simple seaman

bobinnit

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »

RIAT at RAFfAIRFORD CANCELLED SUNDAY TOO

The organisers of the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire announce that the airshow on Sunday, July 13 will not go ahead.

Farnborough will be still on next weekend  :angel:

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »

I pesume that many of you watched the "Fly-Past" yesterday. As always an air show is difficult to televise. But why did the BBC have to have such an inept pair of presenters. The male one obviously hadn't a clue as to what he was talking about. The female one was relegated to vaccuous interviews. Where are presenters like Raymond Baxter these days. OK, I know that times move on, but with a spectacle such as this I really would have thought that the (male) presenter could have been a lot more clued in and done a bit more homework...or is that asking too much.

probably asking too much of the bbc.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

andyn

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 08:51:10 pm »

Going to see it sunday, however I doubt Fairford will be on again next year , or indeed any other year, as the costs involved to get all the aircraft over every year is absolutely mind boggling, let alone the costs of running and organising it. Ever wondered why your tickets are £38.50 each? They must have lost MILLIONS this year.

Speculation is now to whether or not they will bother next year.

catengineman

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 09:03:22 pm »

According to our local rag the Vulcan is to be part of our air show?   Oh its FREE

weather is down to the weather but hey ho Lowestoft Air Show normally has one day where its reasonable O0

I am nowt to do with the Council, display organisations or any other connection I just live here and thought that as it is promised to appear I would tell you

R,

chingdevil

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 10:04:11 pm »

I am off to Farnborough on Saturday, weather permiting. I have plenty of film and spare memory cards for the Vulcan.
The RIAT is getting too expensive now, and I do not think the flying display is as good as it used to be.

Brian

andyn

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 07:25:21 pm »

The show isn't half the size it used to be, only a couple of years back the end of the taxiway and ramp were used for static display, they cancelled it one year and left the ramp clear, the next year it was a skidpan for Morgan cars, and now nothing. Yet the price continues to soar.

chingdevil

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 10:34:17 pm »

Well I got to Farnborough, hell of a journey having to travel through Aldershot even with the roads changed for the show traffic. I disliked the show, no flight line to walk down if you want to go in the pavilions you will not see the flying as they are at opposite ends of the airfield. Food and drink was also very expensive, I would not go back to Farnborough as I do not think it is good value for money

The Vulcan? sheer beauty. I was able to film all of the display, what a beautiful sound those engines make on take off.  She still looks gracefull as she flys, I noticed she has very a thin cross section when viewed head on, very much like the B2.  The pilots were part of the crew that bombed Port Stanley in 1982.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 11:09:51 pm »

I believe there was a book recently published about the Port Stanley bombing flight. Militarily the results were so so but the morale effect was tremendous. I well remember the reports at the time.

Colin

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 11:14:08 pm »

I think the book you are referring to is "Vulcan 607"

I have read it and would REALLY recommend it to anyone  O0
I thought it was very interesting and had some comical moments too

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »

Yes, that's the one!

chingdevil

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »

Excellent book Colin, well worth a read, when I go on holiday I might re-read it again.

Brian

Stavros

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »

Come on Brian where are the photos

Stavros
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.