Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vulcan to the skies  (Read 12505 times)

swordfish fairey

Vulcan to the skies
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:52:11 pm »

Just to let you all know, if you don't already.  Vulcan XH588 took off and flew this afternoon 12.30 ish. I believe the flight was about 20mins and landed o.k. This is great news for those of us in the vintage(in all senses) aviation world.Congrats to all involved......Smudge O0 O0 O0 O0

swordfish fairey

Re: Vulcan to the skies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:03:06 pm »

Sorry finger trouble, that should be XH558, still great tho' YAHOOOOOO!!!    Sorry, got carried away.............Smudger. ;D ;D

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:05:41 pm »

Really great news I was hoping to see it this year at Raf Fairford , but no such luck , last saw a Vulcan flying back in 1988 Raf Finningley , superb..

Hope its ready for next years show.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:10:25 pm »

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 08:20:17 pm »

Fantastic nesws!

Hopefully RIAT next year

She looks really good, congrats to all.

Brian

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:30:29 pm »

Recon she is up to a trip to Lisbon !!

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:40:59 pm »

I just wept when I saw those TV pictures.
I remember going to an air-show at a very wet RAF Waddington. I was about ten years old. The stars of the show were the Blue Diamonds (Hunters - pre Red Arrows' Gnats) and seeing about eight Vulcans doing a "squadron scramble". You will never know the meaning of the phrase "the ground shook" if you haven't seen that! My Mum thought it was WONDERFUL, but she had this thing about loud and fast jets.
Now, about the Lightnings in the same hangar.................... ::)
FLJ

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:03:49 pm »

Yup fantastic news that my favourite bomber of all time ( only just beats the Blackburn Buccaneer and I mean only just lol ) is back in the air. I've had a look into the one at the Museum of Flight near Edinburgh and they are very cramped inside... All fuel tanks and bomb bay lol
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 10:31:56 pm »

I saw the Vulcan at Duxford some years ago, awe inspiring! Is it the same aircraft that is now flying?

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:40:27 pm »

I remember as a small boy in Malta seeing these fantastic aircraft flying above and we used to call them Moths because of their shape. Circa 1965-67. Oh memories

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 10:50:20 pm »

I was once on the back of a Triumph Bonneville toodling along the local coast road - alongside Morecambe Bay - when a Vulcan flew alongside us at what appeared to be not much more than waveheight!

We tried to keep up - we lost!

Awesome aircraft!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 11:07:38 pm »

Davie,

Having spent some time scrambling about in those fuel tanks - as a small and skinny instrument fitter at Waddington (1964-66) I always drew the short straw for the wingtip tanks - my nostalgia is somewhat strained, but it's great to know that at least one of these impressive aircraft is airborne again.

Rick

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 02:02:17 am »

Colin, I would also be interested to know if the now flying Vulcan is the same aircraft I also saw at Duxford, in 1993. It is an amazing looking aircraft, very futuristic for its time.
Peter

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 09:51:50 am »

If you want any further info then check out the link below.
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

I remember the Vulcan flying at RAF Cosford some years ago now. It made my hairs stand up with each pass. I was amazed when it banked around as it actually groaned in the air.  A jaw dropping moment, brilliant.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 09:57:12 am »

They are certainly the best looking bomber ever made, and effective too.
There was one just outside Gibraltar Airport for a while, superb looking machine.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 10:30:15 am »

Back in 1968 (my log book says 20th June 1968) I was thermalling in my glider just north of Leicester when a Vulcan flew underneath me ! I was at about 3500 ft at the time and the Vulcan probably 1000ft below but it was a rather scary moment as I guess the pilot hadn't seen me (I was in uncontrolled airspace and had every right to be there).  It  wasnt going too fast but it looked awful big from that viewpoint !

Don B.

cdsc123

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 12:08:13 pm »

Gibraltar Vulcan;

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 02:09:07 pm »

What a machine! One of these wavehopped over our boat in the Solway a few years back, Dad spotted it first, dropping down low out of the hills and barreling straight towards us.. a bit scary, and with the throttles fully open, left us in a cloud of exhaust and deafened ears....... Faaaantastic! Can't wait to see it in the air again but will probably never have a similar experience ever again. Last saw it fly at Duxford in the nineties, everyones jaw on the floor. No youngster should be denied the experience of seeing this beauty perform.

swordfish fairey

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 02:48:27 pm »

Colin, I would also be interested to know if the now flying Vulcan is the same aircraft I also saw at Duxford, in 1993. It is an amazing looking aircraft, very futuristic for its time.
Peter
Hi again, it was the Vulcan display flight aircraft  at one time, although its last display was September 1992, with the last flight to Bruntingthorpe in March 1993. It may have done a fly past of Duxford on its last flight........Smudger O0

meridian

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 03:15:28 pm »

I much preferred the Handley-Page Victor. A much nicer looking aeroplane which I believe also flew higher and faster than the Vulcan. However, the Vulcan always managed to grab the limelight. Ah well!

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 04:23:14 pm »

Lovely summers day, quick run to the east coast with girl friend soon to be wife. Picnic in lonely spot, a little cuddle just getting interesting. When Bl--dy hell I don't know how high it was but I think I could have painted the belly if I had been stood up.

One magic moment gone to be replaced by another, once seen never forgotten.

Back in the car and then drive past a sign RAF WADDINGTON.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 05:01:56 pm »

Lovely summers day, quick run to the east coast with girl friend soon to be wife. Picnic in lonely spot, a little cuddle just getting interesting. When Bl--dy hell I don't know how high it was but I think I could have painted the belly if I had been stood up.

One magic moment gone to be replaced by another, once seen never forgotten.

Back in the car and then drive past a sign RAF WADDINGTON.

Colin H.

Did you ask her if she felt the earth move ?
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 07:20:39 pm »

I remember seeing two Vulcans side by side over the Trent Valley near Long Eaton in the early seventies, heading back towards the east.  What a magic experience! 

Just to digress a little. I was returning from Swindon, also in the early-mid seventies up the A361? when I heard a tremendous noise off to the right.  About 100 yds away there was Concord flying at about 200 ft. on a test flight.   Another great experience and I'm not even an aircraft nut. 

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 08:19:48 pm »

I remeber as a young lad, at Prestwick airport, seeing Concorde fly over on a test flight. I am not sure, but I think she did a 'touch and go'. (I think thats right, when they touch down and take off again without stopping?)

For a young un, that was real impressive!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 08:54:23 pm »

Hi Kiteman,

Yes I remember now the Vulcan's used to fly down the Trent valley on a fairly regular basis. I used to fish down near Gunthorpe and saw them on several occasions.

Anmo

I don't know if she felt the earth move I forgot to ask. But I certainly did and it was not to do with my lovely wife :angel: :angel:

Colin H
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.