Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scuderia Lockdown....and not a Fairey in sight!  (Read 929 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Scuderia Lockdown....and not a Fairey in sight!
« on: May 23, 2021, 04:04:31 pm »

Scuderia Lockdown e finito.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Scuderia Lockdown....and not a Fairey in sight!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 04:41:22 pm »

Hi Tony

It's funny but there's a photo in my Farine Marine book of Jackie S and a Fairey taking part in a race! Huntsman 28 I think from memory.  :-)

Your models look great.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 07:37:10 pm »

Hi Chris, Ultima Dea and Jackie S raced against Fairey Huntsman (Huntsmen?) etc in the mid '60s. This is the 1964 race when they definitely appear together.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w954_hZ14VA        Since everyone else seemed to be into Faireys I thought that a couple of options were needed! I just need to get their toes damp and then with UD at 1/16 and JS at 1/12 it's all fair! There seemed many more variations before the Surfuries and Cigarettes came on the scene.
Of course you could self destruct on a scratch build, again from the same period, with "News of the World" in this film of the 1966 race!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdF6pXdW_go

:-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 08:51:21 pm »

There was certainly a diverse and interesting range of craft from that era. I've had a quick look at the videos on my tablet but will have a proper look on the TV when I can get a look in!

I've previously watched the 1969 Round Britain Powerboat Race and have a book of the same and as well as Faireys have a real interest in boats from around that time. I have another couple of Faireys planned, different from the usual builds and then who knows?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

RST

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 09:30:20 pm »

There is a build blog of these boats somewhere?  The final results look way better than the build suggested -suggest the threads are merged?  It's a great conclusion!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 10:15:10 pm »

Absolutely wonderful work there!  :-))

The vid of the '66 race is terrific, thanks so much for the link. The cameramen certainly loved Delta 28 and Sufury!

Sonny Levi Rules OK!  :-)
Regards
Kit

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 11:42:00 pm »

What a fantastic looking pair of boats Tony, they look spot on.
I love my Fairey craft, but agree, it's great to see others from the same era, especially those that would have competed against the various Faireys in the Round Britain etc.

Hope we get to see some on water pictures and videos too, especially being driven in a scale like fashion.

Well done, awesome boats  :-))

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 12:46:09 pm »

Thanks all, It's been quite a learning curve made easier by a lot of input from Zooma, Cheers Bob!
It'll be interesting to see how, or rather if they perform, especially since I tried to reproduce the approx. scale sizes of the props and rudders. The latter seem to be too small, especially for Jackie S, where the rudders(2) are only about 30mmx25mm on a boat that is roughly 90cm long. Looking at the thread about e-boats it might very well be the right approach though.I'll report further once they're in the water and the balance is sorted. :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 02:13:34 pm »

You have joined the powerboat modelling world with a bang Tony - well done!

You have also produced two unusual prototypes in a very short time period that puts most of us to shame!

My favourite powerboat is Jackie S and I look forward to hearing how she goes, but UD is also a beauty so some pictures of both on the water (in due course) will be really good to see.

.....cant wait to see what you come up with next.........I guess it will probably be another Fairey   {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.