Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Buddy of KBIO.  (Read 968 times)

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
The Buddy of KBIO.
« on: May 24, 2021, 07:48:54 am »

Hello!
Rainy today ! So I have plenty time to present you my "BUDDY" .
i had , on the shelf , a Saïto T2DR that I've bought in the States in 1980 and it was time to to something with it. I also had a Stuart boiler , souvenir of a stay in Guernesey ;
The idea going on , I had to find a descent boat to install this set inside a nice hull.
I found a drawing of a Thames launch used bt the police. I love the shape and above all the vertical bow.
I ordered the necessary planks and wood and I start the building. I wanted to make a kind of boat for the tourists to make a tour.
Very easy and pleasant to build. :-) 

Short video of the Buddy sailing :        https://youtu.be/CKqksOWdh6o

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: The Buddy of KBIO.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 07:55:29 pm »

Well done another lovely addition to your fleet. As a matter of interest what size prop did you fit and do you know the rpm the boiler and engine deliver?

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 09:49:51 pm »

Calin, your Buddy is gorgeous and just the sort of boat I am thinking about for next project. The raised foredeck and plumb stem sure makes it pretty--and classic. And the superstructure not too complex, I like that.  I have a question however-- can you post another photo or two of the hull planking from the bottom side? I want to see how you laid the planks as they approach the keel. I am not one to spile each plank in and I can tell from one photo in this post that you are using straight planks. How do they all lay in there?  Any detail appreciated.

Thanks for a peek at the bottom of your Buddy

-Carl

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 02:26:58 am »

Way Cool.   :-))

You always have the nicest crafts. 

I am also intrigued by your planking technique. 

Regards,Jim
Son of a Son of a Sailor.

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 04:45:18 pm »

Hello !
The propeller is a 80 mm - 4 blades Rivabo.
I thought that I had a better video of the Buddy sailing but : where is it ??? {:-{
The boiler manages to supply steam at 2.5 b steady to the 5.4 cc engine. I did not gauge the RPM but with this propeller , I must be around 5/600 rpm.
Autonomy ? I stop for a beer after 10/15 min. %) [size=78%] But probably more than45 min with such a propeller.[/size]

The planking has nothing special.
- I measure the length of the middle "rib" of the skeleton . (sorry, I don't know the name !) and the height of the stern and then the length of the stern.
Let say that the middle rib is 25 cm long. The stern is 17 cm long and the bow (narrow) is 17 cm long.
The plank is 1OO cm long. I take 4 of them side by side and I sand paper their ends  all together on  1/4 of the length approximately on 1/3 of the width.
So I obtain a kind of banana shape. I stick one plank on each side of the keel in the morning and I do the same at night. Most of the time when I am home I do this 4 times a day.
The planks should go along without spinning. Obviously I need to catch the gape when it starts to show up. I force a bit on the last plank and I sandpaper the next 4 ones accordingly.
When I glue two on the bottom I glue two on the top. The top ones has to be glued alongside the deck line to start with. 
It sounds more difficult to explain than to do.  %%
The "difficulty" is on the  quite sharp angle in the middle of this special  hull . But not that hard !
At this level , I stick adjusted planks to cover the gap. The main thing is to glue all alongside the planks.
At the end, I mix the sand dust from underneath the sand paper machine with some glue and some water : 1/2 sand dust - 1/4 glue - 1/4 water. Thumb rule !
The proportions are up to you to obtain a flexible putty to plug the voids from inside and outside. Start with sand dust and glue first. Add water until you are satisfied with the aspect.
Apply generously and let it dry . Then  sand paper until it is uniform. Solid as wood itself .
The hull of the Buddy is straight forward from the stern to 2/3 of it. So the planks do not need to be worked out too much in the front.
But they are. Also when surrounding a sharp rib with the planks , it is nessecary to sand paper each side to make sure that they stick to each-h other without leaving an open space. (open angle) .
Hope it helps. ok2
Regards.

ps/ Next boat I build, I 'll do a kind of tuto on the way I do.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 06:32:25 pm »

Very nice looking boat! Are you going to build an enclosed cabin and funnel over the steam plant, like shown on the plan?

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 08:22:20 am »

Hello KNO3!
Thanks for your comment .

No ! I leave open on purpose to allow the sight on the steam machine. I can understand that we hide an electric motor but we have to let the people to enjoy the Sound, the Smell , the Sight of this piece of art  :-) [size=78%]! [/size]
[/size][size=78%]Have a nice day ![/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.