Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: talisman system drum servo  (Read 811 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
talisman system drum servo
« on: May 27, 2021, 06:49:23 am »

as stated above. I have come into possession (free ), of a marblehead yacht. Laying in the box underneath was a talisman system  drum winch. made by world electronics. I can find no info!!! im after pull weight, time to run 60 degrees and most important max and min voltage
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: talisman system drum servo
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 08:51:18 am »

Unless someone has one with its information, it's down to some empirical testing.
6 volts is generally a good start point unless there is an extra power input for the motor.
Clamp it to a bench, give it a signal from a servo tester, dangle its string over the edge of the bench, apply weight to the dangling end, test.
It is rare for servo/winch makers to give accurate figures for performance - the force figure should involve a weight figure and a distance figure, e.g. 7Kg/cm to give an idea of the radius of the drum to give the force figure.
Speed generally depends on load.  While numbers are nice for bragging rights, performance is best described as "Thats REALLY FAST", "Thats quick", "thats OK" or "Is it working?".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:58:07 am »

1. Im being lazy
2. I dont want to set the rig up to test
3. I have never heard of this manufacturer
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:44:07 am »

Yacht folk remember these drum servos.

Adverts in old magazines or a post or email to model yacht forums might be enough to get an answer but a photo or two would help.
It's likely the same voltage the receiver can withstand if it does not have a separate battery lead. 
With battery lead, nominally 7.2 or 8.4 battery, with the load that burns drive transistors being more significant.
I think the broken one that I have is from them.
The current rating is a tiny 800mA from bipolar BC338, BC328 transistors compared to the robust 21st century semiconductors in a £4, 6kgcm standard size servo. The drive transistors would burn out where a servo motor would burn out today.

I hesitate to write this as the the supplier is long gone and SLM won't be able to help. They don't keep anything but injection moulded boxes.Before the internet SLM had a stapled paper RC related catalog but concentrate on the boxes to business customers

My servo came as a drum servo mechanism from W.E.SLM, who supplied Fleet Systems metal & injection moulded plastic parts, supplied mechanics to W.E..World and others fitted their servo circuit boards in different connector options.
Facebook for SLM
Single contact page for a website
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.082 seconds with 21 queries.