Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Martin's Latest Projects .... fads, whimsy and distractions!  (Read 20383 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: New Projects ....
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2021, 10:06:40 pm »

{-)  .... but that does remind me, I bought one of those 'toy grade' disk sanders from Lidl a couple of years back..... let me see if I can find it!

Found it!

Ok but as suspected, 'Light Duty' only .... but did the job though, surprisingly well !
   O0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2021, 08:52:43 pm »

OK .... so I did purchase the mini disk & Belt sander from Amazon in the end.
 There was a bit of messing around with delivery dates, cancelations & customer services ( service!?! ) but it arrived in the end.

1. Fitted with a Euro plug on it!   >:-o  ( had to buy an adaptor )   >>:-(
2. Surprisingly heavy,
3. No Speed control
4. Washers missing for the disk table lock screws,
5. The fixing / screw lock for the belt table couldn't be more awkward if it tried!
6. You can't sand into right angle corners

But...

7. Worked straight out of the box with no adjustments,
8. Low vibration,
9. Very quiet.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2021, 08:59:42 pm »

They look OK to me,  for 1st finish ....  ;D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2021, 10:54:08 am »

The next stage is fixing the bulkhead to the keel, which I haven't started yet, I've still not got the disk sander sorted out as yet.

So press on, the next stage is the Chines.
Now am I right, the chines are the longitudinal beams that hold the hull shape ? ( red arrows )
If so, the boat is about 400mm long, the instruction say 300mm ..... what have I got wrong?

Chine or chine log is what I was looking for! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chine_(boating)#Various_types_of_chine_hulls

https://youtu.be/nFkgXQiCfzU?t=1000

.... I was mistakenly thinking 'chine was the shape of the whole bow ....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2021, 08:55:19 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2021, 08:13:33 pm »

Question: Does this look like this clamping arrangement might work?
                 I'm using the 'Lego towers' as set squares...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2021, 08:16:25 pm »

Seems I'm as awkward as you can get when it comes to even the most basic carpentry skills.....  {:-{
The instructions left me with LOTS more questions than answers, so a lot more close up pictures would have been really helpful !   >:-o

As there is no common datum surface and the keel is curved, glueing on the bulkheads to the right angle proved very tricky.
All the bulkheads are parallel to each other, not perpendicular to the keel, so holding them square was not easy at all!
If you are thinking of building this 'kit', I would recommend building a jig to hold the keel upright and square to the first
bulkhead and working onward from there. Anyway, I persisted and got all the bulkheads on the keel....
.... not to sure of the accuracy of placement, but there they are.

Something I wish I had done is, cut out the keel slots in all the bulkheads and centre aligned them all up as the bulkheads
as the chine cutouts seem to be all over the place.

I trial fitted the chines today, so far I've snapped or damaged ..... all of them, sigh!
I should have used epoxy instead of PVA.

I'm enjoying the build, but not at all happy with my results so far.
I'll continue on as I want to see what else I could have done better before I 'Viking Funeral' the whole thing!
..... and start again.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 11:17:49 am »

You probably could have made a Lego build board, the big flat plates with the towers on one edge and the keel along the bottom, with your clamps connecting to the towers
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2021, 01:31:38 pm »

Good idea! ..... so far, Lego bits have cost 3 times as much as the kit!    %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2021, 06:27:30 pm »

Evening all !

I haven't progressed in recent weeks... life.... one thing and another ... etc.

I trial fitted the chines today, so far I've snapped or damaged ..... all of them, sigh!
I should have used epoxy instead of PVA.

OK I've been experiment with these 'chin' rail for a while now, so far I've tried:
( chines are 2x2 matches )

1. Tried dampening them down again and gentle 'reforming' them around a 'jig', the curvature was too great, and they cracked / snapped.

2. Dampening new matchsticks, using a lot more PVA and adding them to the end of the broken chines & bending round a former....
    .... it fell apart, poof jigging on my part methinks. This might work if I cut two proper formers and clamping around them, I guess....

3. Dampening new matchsticks, used 2 part Epoxy and added them to the end of the broken chines. Matchstick encased in Epoxy:
    a. Do Not like to be bent,
    b. Bend straight back once released!

4. Tied dampening matches, ( left overnight in a bottle of water ), placed them on an upright ( 4 coffee stirers ), put a flexible 'bag' over them with wights on them, Lead Acid batteries....
    - Results: Pathetic! ( Red matches )

5. Tied dampening matches, clamped them with 2 bulldog clips with 2 match spacer....
    - Results: Slightly less than pathetic!  ( Black matches , middle )

6.  Dampening more matches, clamped them down to my mini glass surface plate ( glass place mat! ) over a disposable paint brush handle, ( about 6mm ).
    - Results: Best so far but not uniformly curved. ( Blue matches, left )

So, open to any better ideas here....  :-)

RST

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2021, 07:07:32 pm »

Hi Martin, can't help much.  I bought one of these kits in my 'youth, if I recall from a model shop in York.  I would be early teens.  From memory back then (An Arun lifeboat) was entirely built "skeleton" on brown card, onto which all the matchsticks were glued on the outside faces.  The card skeleton was quite comprehensive and went together OK.  I couldn't get the matchsticks to work after!  But I was quite young and impatient and the matchsticks were used plenty over the years elsewhere after I gave up.  My parents probably balked as it probably wasn't a cheap kit at the time, far out with pocket money and on a promise I would be good and build it!

...looking back though and with a bit more knowledge I'm not sure how matchsticks would work when laid flat then bent into place.  That's asking allot of the adhesive.

Your kit looks a bit different though.  I can remember mine and it was as much card formers as it probably was matchsticks in the end, yours is much less.

I don't know how they're done when I see them exhibited. They always seem a work of art in itself!

...sorry, that's not much use!

Rich

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2021, 04:33:11 pm »

Hi Martin, I was wondering if you might get better results by making an oversized flat plate out of the matches then sanding/cutting it to the curved shape you need, rather than trying to bend it.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2021, 05:07:49 pm »

I was just about to suggest a profile based on sculpturing a block of matches - starting with the inside and sanding it to hull profile, the basic curve created with cut match ends to produce a curve, as long as it painted over later you would'nt notice the construction.

or even take a match cut part way through and then glue when the curve is bent in - like that laminate with machined grooves in it to form around curves in kitchens, water - did you try steaming the individual matches to form a curve restrained shape and then construct the chine ?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2021, 05:55:41 pm »

Good ideas!   Hmmmm......   

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »

Use one of those Italian plank bending tools on the individual matches Martin - cant remember whether its Mantua or Mamoli who make them . That kit is much more sophisticated than the others which are quite simplistic - will be a nice looking boat in the end .

RST

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »

https://youtu.be/mcYaab-3LJc

https://youtu.be/ny9ZkA35J9Y

....any use for inspiration?  Alternatively, if you're struggling with the chine and sheer rails is it acceptable to just use stringers from whetever you can get from local model shop or the likes of hobbycraft -or is that defecting the point?

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2021, 11:50:09 pm »

Use one of those Italian plank bending tools on the individual matches Martin - cant remember whether its Mantua or Mamoli who make them . That kit is much more sophisticated than the others which are quite simplistic - will be a nice looking boat in the end .

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/products/tools/mantua-tools/113/wheel-strip-bender-8150-detail

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2021, 02:16:05 am »

I had one of them but never had much success with it.
I dont think it would work on a match length?
I thought it was for long strips.

I was wondering if controlled cracking might work better, cracked in the middle between two other matches on a flat surface, the sort of hinged pieces can be set at correct curve/angle, then glued and sanded to a nice curve later. The angles involved mean no one match is going to be at an extreme angle and look jaggy.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2021, 03:43:15 am »

OK so today's attempt.... soaked new matches in water & ammonia ( suggestion from Facebook ),
 but I didn't have any ammonia ( that I know about ), so I used Mouthwash, gargle stuff!  {-)
 .... it smells strong enough, don't think it has  ammonia  in it though... hope not anyway!

Put the matches in some old McDonald straws I found in the glass cupboard ( really old plastic straws too! ),
 5 x 2 seemed to fit just right per straw. Then wrapped straws around a small bottle of wine & a smaller can of superglue accelerator.

Securely taped down with lots of 'Sellotape', I also rolled them on a hard surface to help them conform while they are still damp. 
 I've left the to cook in the airing cupboard overnight, we'll see how they come out tomorrow.

I didn't go with the 'cut-out the curve from a plate of matches' idea, although probably the most pragmatic idea... seemed like cheating to me!   %)

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2021, 04:16:21 pm »

Don't see why the planking tool wont work - same as using finger and thumbnail to dent one side - but with less chance of breaking the match - can remember doing that a few times when building a match kit

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2021, 04:58:50 pm »

Thanks redpmg, window cleaner..... well I was sort of right, mouthwash!   {-)

Will better results as you can see & probably good enough to carry on.
Surprisingly, even after 24 hours in the airing cupboard, the matches  are warm but still damp when removed from the straws!
We'll see what they look like once they dry out.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2021, 02:10:46 am »

OK, Saturday, so a bit of time and energy on hand...

I need more curved matches, so let's make some more. Matches are surprisingly resistant to bending, so this next batch are 
again damped and put in straws, but this time clamped down .... ( round? )... with hose clamps!

Another attempt was made around the mini wine bottle, keeping matches straight in this fashion is like herding cats!
After three more tries at this, the effort turned out to be taping them down with masking tape ( and they still slipped a bit ),
cover over with a sheet of plastic, ( bottom of a takeaway container ), and then loads and loads of rubber bands.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2021, 06:55:30 pm »

Mucking about again today, bending matches, no, not a euphemism for anything!
Interestingly, well maybe only to me, the matches take 10 times longer to dry out when clamped than when released!
They stay damp for days when clamped but  dry out in minutes when released ... who knew!
This is what the hose clamped sticks look like once dried out, below...

Anyway, they came out just about right and but as PVA doesn't glue to well to damp wood, I used Superglue & accelerator, the stuff that
I got off SteamBoatPhil  at Wicksteed a couple of years ago.... ( got any more Phil, it's great stuff, the accelerator really works well? ).
I'm using a glass coaster again, as the work can be easily separated once I get bored with waiting.... Yes, I've glued myself to the sticks at least
eight times today!   >:-o 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2021, 07:07:10 pm »

I quickly ran out of matchsticks today, and the ones around the mini wine bottle haven't finished conforming to my will as yet.
So after a couple of weeks of faffing about, trying to bend matches, when I ran out today, I just started bending damp matches
over my thumbnails, only took seconds!

So a productive afternoon in the end and I got all 4 chines completed.... all different shapes but damped down again and all clamped together.
We'll see tomorrow how they come up....

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2021, 07:54:32 pm »

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with wet matches! Have you tried steaming them? A vegetable steamer on the hob could reproduce the effects of a full size steam box. Water boiling in the pan below, wood in the steam pan above. Mind you, this could get too hot without appropriate thought.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.