Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hood  (Read 69158 times)

MartinH-K

Re: HMS Hood
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2007, 04:13:14 pm »

Cap! That looks ideal! ;D

Capricorn

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:01 pm »

Good to hear, if you figure out how it works let me know...  So exactly what stage are you at, above you say you've got someone lined up to glass the hull, that's probably soon.  Are you going to be ready?  Any photo's?  Cap

MartinH-K

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 12:05:16 am »

Thanks matey! Got (and using) the book. Absolutely excellent value. Piccies up as soon as I have a mo though I sent anout ten to Duncan yesterday! :)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 08:46:07 am »

Martin,

Looks like I'm a late comer to the party, but will be watching your build with interest.  Care to sail it over to China?  It would like on Hangzhou's West Lake!  O0

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

Cap , I should point out that Martin`s Hood is a flat bottomed non scale version below the waterline, similar to the www.pmbdt.co.uk ones. It`ll draw a couple of inches only but still be realistic on the water. Not be a very good sea-going vessel but that was never the intention. A naval architect did some rough calculations on my 31ft Invincible and came with about 4 tons displacement. I have to load her down with 20 odd 5 gallon water drums to be stable(ish) and this was with reduced depth but scale displacement hull. She draws about 18". There is also about 300lbs of inbuilt concrete in the bilges. The other thing to point out that I`m not the very fine Hood builder called Duncan on RCGroups forum. I`m Arrow5 (from the Invincible`s pennant number RO5) and I only build Springers as I`m really an aeromodeller. Duncan IS my first name.  Time to get some pics on here Martin.
..well can you land on this?

MartinH-K

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:41 pm »

I CANNOT get on with loading the piccies! It won't let me! "xxxxx". Any chance you could load the ones I sent you Dunc?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 07:57:53 pm »

I`ll try Martin but I`m no computer guy. Wait.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 08:25:29 pm »

Here goes, resized them but I`ll do them in batches. 1st three....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 08:38:15 pm »

...next (one or two probs)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »

probs solved......thats them all.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:51 pm »

Howzat Martin ! The pink fabric , is that fibreglass ?  Whatever it is  a light spray of photo-mount will save a lot of grief and keep the fabric in place while you ease out the wrinkles. Scrape the resin on with an old credit card. Do the inside joints with woven f/glass strips 2" or 3". Remove paint where glassing.

MartinH-K

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2008, 12:06:25 pm »

Thanks Dunc.  :) The pink fabric is actually... bed sheet, varnished in place. It only extends up the sides about three inches and is mostly as a 'belt and braces' joint and bottom seal. It will pretty much disappear when the final seal and paint job is on but will actually lend some texture to an otherwise plain colour. I checked with the official Hood Association and, unfortunately, the ship never had battle camouflage so I'm going to go (eventually) with the Mediteranean Fleet colour which was a slightly lighter grey. At least, that's the plane at the moment.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2008, 06:14:22 pm »

Good to see this build is still progressing - I'll be very interested to see more in future! It will certainly be impressive and inspiring to see the finished model sailing.

This is the sort of project I'd love to do if only I had the space + money required (I'd probably build a predreadnought battleship, or possibly a WW1 battlecruiser).

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »

Not too expensive Edward, have you looked at the build and plans for the Edwardian ships on www.pmbdt.co.uk ?  Space no real problem if you do them in sections to be bolted together at the waterside. Small trailer for small car should do it. Go on ...join the fleet !

MartinH-K

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2008, 09:26:06 pm »

Go on... be a devil! 1/35 scale... 'cos size DOES matter! ;)

farrow

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »

My father watched the Hood go up from the Norfolk, he counted 11 possibly12 major fires out of control , he said she was on fire from stem to stern. Also my great uncle was a captain overseer of armanent, he said from her disaster three directives came out, one was banning oil based paints below as she was .25" thick in white paint in placers from when she showed the flag before the war. Two all magazines had to have steel tops her secondary ready use had wood tops and three I forget.
I was reading an authoritative book on Battle cruisers and it mentions Hood was different to all other capitol ships in her torpedo fit, hers was fitted at the same deck as her secondary guns with a large 21" torpedo store behind the fore funnel which was not armoured, all other ships were fitted fixed tubes below the waterline with the torpedo store behind the armoured belt. In short she was one of Fishers planning disasters, for which he was eventually removed for and she had no business taking on a modern battleship it was you could say murder for want of another word(1500 men)!!

MartinH-K

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 12:15:06 am »

Trouble was, she was seen as 'unsinkable' and the 'pride of the British fleet'. She was allready 25 years old (since her keel was laid) when she went up against the Bismark. It was her sinking that prompted Churchill to issue the 'get the Bismark at all costs' order. It is uncertain whether or not she would have survived if her deck armour had been up to the mark. The Bismark was 'lobbing' shells in a high trajectory with very great accuracy that the British simply couldn't match at that time. Certainly, Hoods 15in guns were arguably as good as the Bismarks but the maybe the accuracy just wasn't there. :(

Capricorn

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2008, 03:25:34 am »

Looking good Martin, glad to see you back at it.  Thanks for the info Arrow5/Dunc, I think your Hood is great, and it sure make sense to cut back on the displacement at that size.  I'll have a look at the pmb, looks like a lot of fine models there.  Rmasmaster intersting stuff, I didn't know the Hood was on fire, this was prior to Bismark encounter obviously, what caused all the fires?  Looking forward to seeing more there Martin and hope all goes well at the Bristol Harbour Festival.  Cap

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

Hoods 15in guns were arguably as good as the Bismarks but the maybe the accuracy just wasn't there.

I think it's a lot to do with rangefinder technology - certainly it was at Jutland. The German optics were better and were able to get on target more quickly but accuracy tended to drop off with all the bangs, crashes and vibration associated with a battle situation. The British rangefinders took longer to get on target but were able to keep the range better. Thus German opening salvoes were renowned for their accuracy.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 01:43:09 pm »

Colin,
After Jutland the RN carried out test firings of a range of RN guns.
The charges were found to be completely different which affected the range and therefore accuracy of the whole platform.
This led to the introduction of the ISO system of Quality Control which is still used today, but in a far more refined form.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

farrow

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:07 pm »

The British Navy was not interested in accuracy in WW1, but rapid rate of fire. The theory was you put the other side off it's aim and you might get lucky. To do this the capital ships carried 50% more ammo than designed for, this was fine for the shells but not the bags of Cordite which were stacked every where but not in the magazines, also the Battle Cruisers it has since been found out removed the anti flash doors to thier magazines so as to speed up the movement of cordite and shells. With all the cordite stacked inside the Barbites etc, this is now put forward as the reason for the massive loss of ships at Jutland. But the RN has had a bad reputation for accuracy since the Bombardment of Alexandra (800 odd shells fired and about 6 came close to the mark), Dogger Bank and even the Bismark , poor shooting was recorded, Tovey said to the gunner on KG5 " i can do more damage with throwing my mug than you can". The German accuracy was always good, an had it not been for the intervention of the Navigator on the Norfolk, she would have been hit by a full salvo from the Bismark instead of a close straddle.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:47 pm »

After Jutland the RN carried out test firings of a range of RN guns.
The charges were found to be completely different which affected the range and therefore accuracy of the whole platform.

And the quality of the shells wasn't up to much either. Many of them broke up on impact when hitting the German ships instead of penetrating.

The Grand Fleet, based at Scapa Flow regularly practised gunnery and its ships were more efficient than those of the Battlecruiser Fleet based at Rosyth. In fact, at the time of Jutland, three of the battlecruisers were with the Grand Fleet to improve their gunnery. In their place the 5th Battle Squadron, consisting of ships of the Queen Elizabeth class was sent South. The rest, as they say, is history!

Most of the British ships at Jutland which were fitted with fire control used the  Dreyer system. A notable exception was the battlecruiser Queen Mary which had the Pollen system and was more accurate than the initial Dreyer system (which was subsequently improved). Queen Mary was reported to be firing very accurately just before her loss.

MartinH-K

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »

Ok.... Not a complete disaster but things have certainly not been wonderful! If you go to YouTube/MartinHK1, there is a video up... The guy who built the aeroplane (Fairey 111F) has made a complete pooh of it. Firstly, if I catapult it from the back of the ship, the advice I've had is that it will fly about a yard before it breaks up! There is little if any dihedral on the wings so they won't produce enough lift to keep it in the air anyway. It was supposed to be able to land on the water... float test that I did put the top of the floats, two inches below the water with the plane floating on its belly! If you want something doing... do it yourself. Don't ask anyone who lives in Westminster Road, Swindon to do it and pay them Rain has, once again interupted my build though it's still going ok. I wasn't able to make the Bristol Harbour Festival for obvious reasons but... what the hell. It will be that much better for next year. It actually looks like a boat now which is reasuring. :)

MartinH-K

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2008, 02:05:30 pm »

Just getting on with glassing the external seams... what a messy job! Three coats of paint in and it looks like a Cunard hull... all white but then until I do the finish paint job, I am using whatever gloss paint I have to hand. I at least know its waterproof- The tarpauline blew off and the rain filled it with water! Its upside down now.  ok2

MartinH-K

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »

The thing that's been giving me a case of jip for months- turret mounts! New turrets built and mounted onto... 15ltr plastic paint containers! :o
After measuring them, they came out to within a 2mm tolerance! Decided (at least for this year) to go with copper pipe cored barrels for the 15in guns and use small fireworks for effect. Can't be reloaded but will sort that for next year.; Should be ready for Weymouth... all things being equal though it will be quite basic. :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.