Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying on Ebay.UK  (Read 1703 times)

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
Buying on Ebay.UK
« on: June 08, 2021, 01:24:05 pm »

Hello gentlemen !
For some time now, I am a bit disappointed as I try to buy some steam objects on Ebay.Uk and I realize that most of the seller mention:
- DO NOT POST TO FRANCE " .
They do not even answer to my mail ! {:-{
Does anybody has an answer as I have to go through a friend of mine in Scotland when I want to make a deal.
He buys and ship to me !
Unfortunatly ,his tax department is watching money IN IN & OUT and he cannot go on any more.
But why speciffically : not to France ???
If someone has the answer , I would appreciate to work out a solution.
Best regards.  :-)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Buying on Ebay.UK
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »

Probably boils down to  VAT problems on goods exported after Brexit  >:-o  more hassle than be coped with

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/how-do-you-cope-with-vat-on-your-exports-under-the-new-brexit-rules-b930060.html
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 02:14:38 pm »

That might be true but then it would apply to all overseas destinations unless France has different rules to the rest of the world which wouldn't surprise me.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 03:26:04 pm »

It might also explain why my preferred on line retailer has "CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK " against most items in his catalogue
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

RST

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 05:50:29 pm »

There could just have been hassle with previous deliveries there?   I know at my apartment in Paris the mailman emptied the contents of two deliveries into my mailbox unit and threw the box on top upside down rather than putting them back in.  I guess that was isolated cases as most other things have come through OK and no problems with French post otherwise.

If it helps (probably doesn't) but not all UK sellers will ship to all places in the UK either and they don't respond to enquires or just return guff.  They won't take my postcode even though on the delivery method stated it's no different from anywhere else (maybe just an extra day in transit).  Very frustrating.  Sellers choice I guess.

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 07:13:12 pm »

It just seems to be collateral damage from Brexit. Both exporting to and from the UK now entails more bureaucracy and with many modelling supplies being small family firms witn a relatively low turnover it simply isn't worth taking on the additional hassle. This seems to have spilled over to transactions involving non EU coutries too.

My Wife recently knitted a garment for a new Grand Niece in the Irish republic. Before Brexit she could have just put it in a large jiffybag and posted it but on this occasion I had to complete a customs form with various details including a notional value and print off the requisite labels from the Post Office. It took me the best part of an hour to puzzle out what the rules are.

Couriers are also charging significant handling fees to guard against parcel recipients being unwilling to pay unexpexted customs fees on delivery.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 07:40:33 pm »

This is a problem I now have, I needed some bits from my trusted UK sellers, and sadly the same thing, they will not post to France. As Colin has pointed out the charges, import tax etc means that I can refuse delivery and couriers  carry the cost, so they just will not deliver !!!!!!

Oh for the day I can do the shows in the UK again and stock up
Steamed up all the time

RST

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 08:22:44 pm »

Well it works the same way. My IT sent me a laptop and I couldn't receive it until I paid 180quid in customs clearances to DHL.  Then 2 months later they said I hadn't paid and I owed them 180quid immediately.  None of them speak to each other, another 3 weeks of bouncing the same proof of payment to what seemed half the people in DHL before they acknowledged it had been paid.  They just wouldn't contact the depot who took my card payment in the first place!

I think it will get easier over time. At least the rules, charges and delays will be clearer.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 08:36:25 pm »

I think it will get easier over time. At least the rules, charges and delays will be clearer.

Not necessarily, the efforts to try and improve things are aimed at big organisations who are willing to grapple with the differing rules and regs of other countries. Plus small exporters to the UK apparently have to register for VAT now and they can't be bothered - that is unlikely to change.

Colin

RST

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 10:02:26 pm »

Yes Colin but what I also meant was over time we'll learn to understand what is realistic to expect to be shipped.  I don't blame anyone for declining these days.  I'm still optimistic it will improve over time though.

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:28 pm »

Yes Colin but what I also meant was over time we'll learn to understand what is realistic to expect to be shipped.

Indeed, but rather less than we have been previously accustomed to I fear!

Colin

RST

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 10:51:59 pm »

We're bordering on politics.  We didn't always have free movement of people or goods?  It's not been that easy forever before?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 11:18:06 pm »

There is one Big factor. It applies to goods coming in to the UK from over seas from the 1St Jan. The EU are about to do the same . I think from the 1st June or July for goods from out side the EU/EEA.
In short. Goods brough from a company/business or via an on line sales platform (ebay ,gum three Amzon etc) Tax has to be payed at source NOT at the boarder like it use to be. This only applies for good between £15 and £135 for the UK.
So for a German shop to sell to the uk. They must be registered with HMRC. between certain values they will take the TAX in £ setrling. Then send the Tax in £ not Euros or $ etc to HMRC. The Sofware to register with HMRC is expensive and the yearly licence is a joke. Maybe in time this will improve.
So in short a lot of places are not bothering with over seas sales. Goods to the UK from over seas over £135 I think Tax can be payed at the boarder. HMRC website is crap poor and controdicts its self ,No supprise there LOL. So lots of overseas shop have been given wrong info.
Couires are libale for returning failed diliverys so they are really checking paper work.
In short a nightmare .
John

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 07:23:09 am »

Good morning !
Thanks a lot for all those opinions ! :-))

This discussion does not bode well for better days! Too much tax kills the business and in the mean time I received some tools for my lathe from China and I did not have to pay any tax!  :o 
It goes through Holland and came home with "La Poste" !
There is something wrong in this "new" world ! I must be obsolete ! %) {-)
In any case , let's go on and have fun all together !
Have a nice day!
Regards.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 08:05:50 am »

Ebay should work the same in both directions (ought to)

I bought from Spain and the transaction was done net of VAT. Ebay took the VAT for UK and gave me a total price to pay.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 08:55:26 am »

It has always been a bit of a lottery as to what attracted Customs attention & what did not.

Many Chinese sellers on ebay are clearly stating that their prices do not include duties. The old £15 value exemption does not exist any longer which means that every package sent by them could be stopped and duties applied + service charges. It comes down to what is being ignored as a matter of convenience. That might change.

In the real world I don't see how the UK can force the rest of the world to register for UK tax nor how they can stop packages being sent if the do not do so. Punitive charges for all such packages would seem to be their only answer. They have not gone there ........yet.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 09:20:51 pm »

It has always been a bit of a lottery as to what attracted Customs attention & what did not.

Many Chinese sellers on ebay are clearly stating that their prices do not include duties. The old £15 value exemption does not exist any longer which means that every package sent by them could be stopped and duties applied + service charges. It comes down to what is being ignored as a matter of convenience. That might change.

In the real world I don't see how the UK can force the rest of the world to register for UK tax nor how they can stop packages being sent if the do not do so. Punitive charges for all such packages would seem to be their only answer. They have not gone there ........yet.

The £15 still stands. If the amount is more than £15 Vat/Import tax were applied starts at £0
So 1p to £15 no Vat
£15+ vat and import were applied
John

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 08:59:21 am »

On the subject of shipping to France, Radio 4 had an interview with the boss of Hornby regarding their very good trading results and one thing that he highlighted was that they stopped shipping to France because of the French interpretation of the rules.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.