Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with search function  (Read 941 times)

TurboTyne

• Full Mayhemer
help with search function
« on: June 08, 2021, 06:06:44 pm »

Hello,
I don't know where else to post this. I was searching for the keyword "destroyer" initially using the simple search function, starting from the home page. Then I tried the advanced search, with all the boards selected. Both these searches returned several results but the most recent dates of these were only up to 2011 and 2012. I know of a number of posts in more recent years that include the word destroyer in either title or text and from what I understand from reading the "help" pages, both types of search should return all messages in all boards.

When I searched for the key word "turbine" I did get results for more recent years but I am now wondering what is going on and how I can be sure that I do not miss relevant posts for destroyer or for any other key words I might use in the future.

Can someone please explain if I've misunderstood something or where I might be going wrong?
Thanks,

Mike

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: help with search function
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 12:47:10 am »

The best way to search on Mayhem is to go to a sub-board, and then search that board only (see pic). Searching the main board only gives you limited results.

Another good way to search any site using Google Chrome browser. In the search bar, use the search structure
site:search term (site name followed by colon (no space) followed by your search term).
e.g. modelboatmayhem.co.uk:destroyer
e.g. theguardian.com:boris
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TurboTyne

• Full Mayhemer
Re: help with search function
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:47:31 am »

Thanks for the replies.
Searching in individual sub-boards retrieved the results I expected so I must remember that for the future searches. Pity the global search that is described on the SMF help pages, does not work properly for MBM.RegardsMike 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.