Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: diagnosis  (Read 841 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
diagnosis
« on: June 14, 2021, 02:37:02 pm »

Hi all, would like to give my diagnosis of my fault and see what the team thinks and my options.
Took HMS Bristol for a run saturday, first time with two batteries, both same voltage and amps and charged, on the bench all woked, as soon as she left the side all dies, eventually got her back.  First though new battery might be duff, but not likely, both charged and fitted  in today on the becnch.  All worked, foghorn extra loud, but notice props seemed a bit slower.  Turned off for lunch, came back turne on all working for about a minute, then a fain sound like "pop" and total shutdown, BUT no burning board smell.  All fuse intact, disconnected the twin esc, which came from hOwes several years ago, no idea of make at monet and think rated at 50amps.  Plugged a rx batt pack in and all function from all electronic board and relays., plugged 1 esc back in (one with threee wires, switched on and the voltage reg picked up its 1.5 volt (radar motor) and again alll works, even manged to turn port porp, rpeated it for the other esc, no lights at all and no power to prop.  Diagnosis is the esc is shot.  If so would you replace like for like, or bite the bullet and replace with something like mtroniks.

Bob

I will finish this model

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 04:04:32 pm »

Easy down and dirty trick for battery check - use a car headlamp bulb of the appropriate voltage as a test lamp.  If it lights up nice and bright, battery is probably OK, if not, not.  Any battery can show full voltage without actually storing a meaningful amount of energy.
I also had a blue anodised case ESC rated at 50A (20A reverse??).  When the boat that it was in ran away I decided to replace it with a proper one.
After I had read the set up instructions properly and followed them properly, the Viper Marine 25 has given zero problems for the several years it has been fitted.
A faint pop sound is disturbing - a loud bang and cloud of smoke leaves little doubt as to what had the problem but the faint pop leaves a lot of elimination to do.  Fortunately it is very possible to test brushed motors without involving a possibly suspect ESC.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 09:36:22 pm »

Well after checking each item on its ownd and finding no fault, bit stupmped, till discoverd a frayed lead in the distribution panel, cut it of made new end refitted, all is going like the clappers.  Whewww

Bob
I will finish this model

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:47:30 am »

As my aged mentor said back when I was learning - "Look for the broken wire first"
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:00:33 am »

Good find. As my motor mechanic teacher preacher, start the battery and work your way forward. Looks like you did and success was your reward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.