Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete newbie needs some help  (Read 1726 times)

collectors

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Complete newbie needs some help
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:17:38 am »

Hi, i am familiar with RC, but not tried a boat as yet & was given the hull in the photos which measures about "41"x11" / 1000mmx 300mm" that might be for a PT Boat & was looking at it as a Frankenstein project to experiment with things like remote FPV. But one thing i fancied was fitting water jet propulsion. But haven't a clue on duct size or motor size. Is there a good starting point for a water jet unit & at worst i could upgrade the motor. I dont mind if it a little bit to big as i can dial in some restrictions with my DX6e transmitter. Any advice would be great.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Complete newbie needs some help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:29:46 pm »

Commercial water jet drives are available. Googling gives a lot of results.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 12:47:38 pm »

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 02:43:20 pm »

Jet drive boats are typically flat bottomed to give the inlet hole a chance.  A bit of remodelling might be needed.  Or twin jets?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

collectors

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 06:59:01 pm »

Jet drive boats are typically flat bottomed to give the inlet hole a chance.  A bit of remodelling might be needed.  Or twin jets?

Thanks, I have already ordered some fiberglass for a bit of re-shaping & flatten off the under rib about 3”. Will also glass some wooden blocks around the hull for some fixings. I am also hopping to fit some trims either side, but i would like these controlled via servo's if pos. My transmitter is a TX16 has 2 dials that i could use to fine adjust the trims.I have gone with a single large jet with a 40mm prop & 33mm outlet & it was suggested to go with for the size of the boat. We will see. There is naturally some wiggle room with the motor “[size=0pt]3670 2650KV Brushless Motor”[/size][size=0pt][/color] that has water cooling on the motor & ESC. We can only play and see.[/size]
[size=0pt][/color][/size]

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 07:29:39 pm »

And a reversing bucket can you show a pic of the transom difficult to judge . My PT 596 is as almost shallow as
 My  Pibber  albeit I have twin jets no buckets

Pibber2.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.