Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bandsaw Help  (Read 1315 times)

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Bandsaw Help
« on: June 17, 2021, 06:58:13 pm »

One of our members has a "Scheppach" band saw that he is having trouble with, ie blades breaking and now it seems he cannot get the blade on. So I have offered to have a look at it. I am not familiar with this make although a bandsaw is a bandsaw. Are there any snags with this make I should be aware of, Thank you, nemesis

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Bandsaw Help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 02:21:37 am »

If your friend is familiar with bandsaws, and this bandsaw, and the problem is new, it sounds like a problem with the machine.
My first suspicion would be that the thrust bearings that contact the back of the blade are pushing the blade forward. It could be the bearing out of line, or the drop guard (that also is home to the upper thrust bearing) has got bent forward. There are also thrust bearings below the table top.
Next thing to check would be the wheels. There is an adjuster on top of the machine that marginally tips the wheel this is used to align the blade so it runs central, too far either way and the blade comes off. It is possible that the adjuster has gotten worn or damaged.
Also check that wheels are running true, no wobble. It could be a wheel bearing.
Also check the tires that they are not damaged.

I would check the blade, but if blades have snapped this point to the machine.

Another question is, has the machine been moved recently? If so it is possible something got knocked out of whack.

Just some thoughts

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

philgg1946

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:58 am »

Hi , I don't know much about bandsaws but I think your last reply looks feasable if it has been moved only wish I could help more, Regards Chet

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 10:15:49 am »

All the points mentioned by Tiger BUT he missed the blade tensioner. If he can't get the blades on, it suggests the tensioner, which moves one of the wheels vertically, not tilt, is too tight.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 10:40:38 am »

This might be of some help https://www.manualslib.com/products/Scheppach-Hbs20-10343908.html

Pdf or download

Ray.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »

All the points mentioned by Tiger BUT he missed the blade tensioner. If he can't get the blades on, it suggests the tensioner, which moves one of the wheels vertically, not tilt, is too tight.

Regards  Ian.

Yes indeed. The blade tensioner is the obvious problem, if the user is not familiar with bandsaws.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 04:03:54 pm »

I own a Scheppach Basato 3 bandsaw and have never had a blade break. (yet!)  Apart from what has been suggested as the cause, it could also be the blades themselves - always use a quality blade is the answer - I now only buy from Tuffsaws - excellent service and very reasonable prices for what are first class blades.

Gordon
Gordon

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 04:27:34 pm »

There's some good advice here - One thing though, most people set their top and bottom guides incorrectly.  The bearings wether they are top or bottom should not be touching the blade when it's running without a load.  If the bearings are spinning they need backing off as they should just be a hairs breadth away from the blade.  Constant pressure from the bearings on the blade will cause the blade to break.  They do their job when wood is actually being cut.

Also when you are checking the blade tension  - check the deflection on the side away from the cutting guide.  It gives a much better feel as the guides are not in the way and it gives a far better representation of blade tension.  Don't over tighten the blade either and I like to release the tension on the blade when I'm not using my bandsaw.

I second the comment on Tuffsaws - fantastic blades that last for ages and the service is second to none.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.