Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barrow in Furness  (Read 3215 times)

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
Barrow in Furness
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:48:37 pm »

Hi All,
I'm off for a few days visiting Whitehaven and wonder if some of you could tell me if it is worth taking a trip to Barrow. I know about the Dock museum which gets good reviews online, but is there any access where I can look at any shipping which is in port.

RST

Re: Barrow in Furness
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:53:10 pm »

red raw
Hi All,
I'm off for a few days visiting Whitehaven and wonder if some of you could tell me if it is worth taking a trip to Barrow. I know about the Dock museum which gets good reviews online, but is there any access where I can look at any shipping which is in port.

...I went for an interview at BAE a few years ago and failed it miserably, they do interviewes in a little bubble right inside inside the museum at the centre of the dock now -or did so at the time!   Strangest interview of my life so far!

There is no "port" active per-se.  I fell in love with the place in one day, the scenery in-out is fantastic.  That said -I was sat on a completely knackered old Pacer which was a blast from the past between Barrow and Lancaster and and the the most uncomfortable 2 hours or so on a train I can remember!  I was shivering cold but had the back of my legs burned red raw from the heater which I understand is comletely normal and cn't see straight for half a day afterwards because of the bouncing.  I only hope they have more modern throw backs from at least the late 1990's now as a commuter train now...  The scenery in and out of the peninsula I found quite breathteaking though -way better than where I am up north west.  The Kyle route has nothing on it for me.  There's not much in Barrow apart from the town or the yard though -it's pretty much all BAE and the big building.  It seems not that bad a place though there's nothng outstanding there in the town -the way in and out and everywhere around seems better.  I'd drive there if visiting again unless I wanted the nostalgia of the train in/out.

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Barrow in Furness
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:37:38 pm »

Thanks for that information  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.