Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copydex  (Read 1215 times)

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
Copydex
« on: June 22, 2021, 03:16:47 pm »

Hi All.

Have you found that Copydex  isn't what it used to be, it's now absolute rubbish compared to what it used to be.

I used it for very many years, mainly for skinning Polystyrene wings with Balsa without any problems at all.

Now, many years later I build boats I have found it to be not the same, still relatively expense tho' but just refuses to paint onto virtually any substrate, especially wood.

Has anybody found the same and managed to find an alternative Latex adhesive that works ?

I was going to post this in the Adhesives etc section but Copydex now doesn't belong there.

Mike.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Copydex
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 03:42:02 pm »

I am just thinking out of the box for a moment. What is the production date on your bottle of Copydex?

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 06:04:43 pm »

Produced

26/09/20

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 08:31:03 pm »

Have been using it for many years for waterproofing our underwater wizzbangs. Not really noticed any change in its performance, so not sure what to suggest as an alternative easy brushing laminating adhesive.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:27:50 am »

We used to put a food dye into our Copydex when laminating wings so that we could see where we had missed with the adhesive.
Just a thought but is it surface tension that is causing your problem? A very small drop of washing up liquid? I have never tried this so test the idea before using it! 

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 09:33:38 am »

quote author=Tug Fanatic

We used to put a food dye into our Copydex when laminating wings so that we could see where we had missed with the adhesive.
Just a thought but is it surface tension that is causing your problem? A very small drop of washing up liquid? I have never tried this so test the idea before using it! 

Morning Tug.

I too used to dye the glue for the same reason using the blue stuff used for fish tanks, I think it was intended to kill the little parasites in the water.

My problem with the Copydex is that it paints down onto the substrate O.K. but peels off so easily. I use it for glueing the vinyl,(faux leather),onto usually balsa or very
thin plywood. The last time that I used it successfully was 2011, making the upholstery for my Riva build which gave no problems.

This time, whilst building a larger version, the adhesive is very different, although it seems to adhere reasonably well to flat surfaces it doesn't have the strength to hold the folded over parts  This wasn't a problem on the older version.

I think that the recipe has been changed to suit the Health and Safety regulations and like many other products just isn't the same, Nitromors is a prime example.

Mike.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 01:50:58 pm »

Have you tried their customer services?

Final thought - precoating the wood with PVA (or something else???) which you allow to dry before you apply the Copydex.

Please let us know how you resolve you problem.

I have given up expecting anything to be the same as it was.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 04:38:02 pm »

copydex you buy in the shops, go for the industrial stuff like what floorlayers use. nemesis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.