Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Miami class ASR 63  (Read 4527 times)

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Miami class ASR 63
« on: June 24, 2021, 10:49:30 pm »

I am researching the plans of the 63 Air Rescue Boat that were built in
 the Fellows & Stewart boatyard in 1944, on behalf of the sons (a retired
 Marine Surveyor and past wooden boat school manager) of a crew member of
 HMAS Air Master 919 with the view of them building a 1:10 or 1:20 museum
 quality scale model.

Our main focus is getting the hull shape right and I understand there
 were over 700 of these hulls built in the early 40's in various boat
 yards and have a very poor quality copy of a Miami Shipbuilding
 Corporation Navy 63 ft Aircraft Rescue Boat Inboard Plan & Profile. From
 it I have completed drawings already and am researching to see if we can
 achieve a more detailed set.

Ideally what I am after is a Lines plan with offset table.
Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Miami class ASR 63
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 02:28:29 pm »

Kevin, You may want to try here. If they do not have them then perhaps on of the links will lead you. There is also the Mystic Seaport Museum, as well as the MIT Hart Museum. Both hold extensive collections of plans for various makers.
https://uscrashboats.org/
Jonathan

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 02:30:55 pm »

Is this the right model, i.e. the Type 314?  https://www.iantd.com.au/news.php?readmore=11

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 11:05:12 pm »

Thanks Guys enormous help, :-))  Carlos of uscrashboat.org has been extremely helpful providing lots of information and many leads, he said my General Arrangement plan was the best he had seen. As this was my contribution to the project I am pleased as I really enjoyed exercising my old CAD skills, must find another similar project. Converting it to a 1:20 plan for a half hull model was the easiest part, but fun.

I have amassed an enormous amount of information and Photos but alas I am still short of being comfortable with the chine position for an accurate scale model.

I have found the Los Angeles Maritime Museum has a wealth of plans, but alas they have been closed for renovations and will not have access to their archives for some time, I am in their wait list. 

The Air View writeup is one informative site I had not found and am yet to follow all the links.
To have had such superstructure modifications they must surely had access to the original plans so I will pursue that line.

Yes, HMAS Air Master was a 314 model C-26688 ASR 919 for the RAN in 1944 built in the USA by Fellows and Stewart one of the many boatyards to built the 314, so I estimate there would have been many sets of plans in various places around the world.  A copy of the lines plan and offset table would give me the detail I am after. I have found many variations for the Beam from 15' up that I have not isolated as yet. Accurately locating the chine and the forward hull flare plus tumblehome details that I am specifically after.

Her sister ship was used for target practice and I am yet to identify if that was Airmaster's fate, it seems an unfitting fate for a vessel that saved so many lives.
Kevin Hutch

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 11:52:14 pm »

Wonderful Kevin! Another source for photographs is the Boothbay Regional Historical Society. They hold a collection of almost 100 photographs take at the Frank Sample boat yard when it was building 63's for the Air Force, circa 1947-50. Somehow, they ended up with the negatives of the original photos taken by the Navy, documenting the builds.They can be reached here:  https://boothbayhistorical.org/I have a disc of photos that I received from them for a non build project I was involved with and they are wonderful. As I recall, they include construction photos as well as finished boats. As soon as I can copy it, I will be happy to send you a copy.
Please tell them that a fellow from Bar Harbor sent you.CheersJonathan

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 01:09:50 am »

I  assume you know that Halvorsens in Sydney built Miamis. Their archives might hold plans.

https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-air-sprite

http://www.halvorsenboats.com/about/

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 03:33:01 am »

Thanks Johnathan I will follow up https://boothbayhistorical.or and be sure to mention that a fellow from Bar Harbor sent me.

Thanks Mudway, but thus far I have no response from either https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-air-sprite or  http://www.halvorsenboats.com USA Halvorsen's last boat built in Rhode Island was an ASR63 314 model.

I found the Sydney Halvorsen's who built two ASR63 well after the war here in Sydney,was another company, now Chinese based.  I thought the Sydney maritime museum may have their old records but no reply yet from them either.

Ironically I am tracking down information on one that was owned by Royland Cruises right here in Mackay. I do feel my best guess in my drawings is close enough for a model and am building a 1:20 half model of the hull to check the visual appearance against the volume of hull photos.

The main area of contradiction I have found is the forward chine line seems to vary dramatically on various photos reputably of ASR63. The later PT boats had a much higher chine at the bow than the 314, which is why I am specifically after a copy of the lines plan & offset table that only someone interested in building a hull would keep. 
Kevin Hutch

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 08:41:16 am »

Had this from the NAA, must be more there somewhere.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 09:16:44 am »

One thought, John Pritchard was an expert on RAF Marine craft and did produce a set of 1/24th plans for the Miami.

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/miami-63ft-asrl-mm1412/

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 10:01:20 am »

Kevin, I remember the Roylen cruise boats well. In the 1960s Tom McLean of Mackay acquired 8 ex Navy Fairmile motor launches, the first of which he named Roylen, and converted them for cruising. This name was derived from the names of two of his children, Fitzroy and Helen. The Fairmiles lasted until the early 1980s, when they were replaced by 4 large catamarans. My wife and I honeymooned on South Molle Island in May 1960, and I remember seeing one of the Roylens while we were in that area. I have a photo somewhere in my archives.

Peter.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 10:07:27 am »

You've probably already seen this but it gives good background and could answer a few detail questions. The mother of the chap who wrote it launched the prototype and other, later, models.
Development of the Miami 63-foot Aircraft Rescue Boat Jean E ...https://www.cnrs-scrn.org › tnm_18_3-4_173-184
Tony

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 06:37:01 pm »

Kevin, The man to chat with is Al Ross. His knowledge of PT's and similar craft is unmatched. He has drawing and manuals for the 63's and is very happy to chat and share with you. I will send you his e-mail by PM.Also, I have 69 images from the Boothbay collection. They are TIFF's so I can not post them here, but will happily copy and make a disc to send you.Jonathan

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 10:40:21 pm »

Thanks again Guys my knowledge collection is growing by the day and yes I would love any more photos as they provide different angles and lighting to verify the shape. Don't wish to seem ungrateful, but the process of following all the leads is becoming overwhelming.

The main area I am really focusing on is the forward chine line and flare, both above and below the chine.  ;)

I have collected much detail on the "midship" bulkhead No42 (attached) and scaled, but the breadth at the waterline I extrapolated from the operations manual shows the hull less vertical than most photos would indicate and it clearly rolls from flare to tumblehome so it must be vertical somewhere around frame 55.

The chine curve does not appear to be a simple curve with an uneven upward curve forward. Although the antifoul colour following a the waterline may just be causing this visual effect.  :D 

Some additional confusion comes from the Beam dimensions from various sources at 15' to 15' 6" and I realise the longer ASR has a wider beam as the PT boats have a much higher forward chine line and some photos are not really ASR63 boats.
Kevin Hutch

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 04:02:04 pm »

There were a dozen or so built for the SA navy during WW2 and there are still some around  in SA . A friend owned two in Hout Bay - and was busy renovating one the last I heard . The other one - R9 was sold off and the new owner far from renovating her left her to rot at her moorings - all mouth and no action. Have some very sad pictures.

Friend Ken  has been searching for lines & offsets for years as he would like to have built another - they proved to be very seaworthy boats - instead he built an 82ft tripper boat in steel using the Miamis hull as a rough guideline. He operates under the name Circe Launches - the name he gave to the one he is renovating when using her for trips to Seal Island off Hout Bay

Another one was used as a supply vessel to the tankers & other ships using the Cape route being to large for Suez. Its not known what has become of that particular boat.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 12:57:05 am »

Kevin, this is the photo of the Roylen cruiser, converted Fairmile, that I mentioned. It is a scanned slide and, as you can see, time has not been kind to it, some sort of fungus has attached to some of my old slides. The photo was taken in May 1960, between Lindeman and Pentecost Islands. I realise it's not pertinent to your current project, but I thought you may be interested.

Peter.

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 12:59:49 am »

Thus far I have identified that the Los Angeles museum has a copy of the original lines & offsets drawing in the Fellows & Stewart collection, but they are not accessible for some time due to renovations. I am sure there many copies of them around the world, at the very least one per boatyard that built 63's (well over 20 yards), but unless someone was planning to build a hull and needed them for lofting they may not even realise how important they are.

UScrashboat.org site has a collection of framing photos of the MKII build from the Booth Bay Historical collection. The hull is the same only the internal fit-out varies with the lower pilot station replaced as a radio room.

There were several variants with a combination of straight shaft and Vee drives subtly modifying the dispensary cabin, from the 127, 152, 168, 252, 314 & 293 even a 416 fire boat. The MKII has no lower helm, the MKIII has an opening transom that changes the aft cockpit.

Photos show many variations from 1941-1968 of the 63's, without considering refit conversions, but all 63 variants I have found relate to fit-out changes and the hull design remains. So there must be more copies of the lines &  offsets to be found, if only someone has it digitised, although I would gladly do that.

I have reconciled the "15' molded beam" vs the "15'6" beam (max over the guards)".  So the 42 bulkhead is 15" beam overall plus the inner planking at 7/16" + outer at 9/16", leaving 2" for the guard rail each side.

Now on with the 1:20 half model build to confirm my guesses, whilst I wait for the lines plan before the full model.
Kevin Hutch

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 01:25:45 am »

[Yes thanks Peter, I can find plenty of the Roylen Fairmile that they had a few of, I believe one is still in operation as Lady Elizabeth II but alas no photos of the 63 boat yet.
Kevin Hutch

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 02:39:04 am »

Thus far I have identified that the Los Angeles museum has a copy of the original lines & offsets drawing in the Fellows & Stewart collection, but they are not accessible for some time due to renovations. I am sure there many copies of them around the world, at the very least one per boatyard that built 63's (well over 20 yards), but unless someone was planning to build a hull and needed them for lofting they may not even realise how important they are.

UScrashboat.org site has a collection of framing photos of the MKII build from the Booth Bay Historical collection. The hull is the same only the internal fit-out varies with the lower pilot station replaced as a radio room.

There were several variants with a combination of straight shaft and Vee drives subtly modifying the dispensary cabin, from the 127, 152, 168, 252, 314 & 293 even a 416 fire boat. The MKII has no lower helm, the MKIII has an opening transom that changes the aft cockpit.

Photos show many variations from 1941-1968 of the 63's, without considering refit conversions, but all 63 variants I have found relate to fit-out changes and the hull design remains. So there must be more copies of the lines &  offsets to be found, if only someone has it digitised, although I would gladly do that.

I have reconciled the "15' molded beam" vs the "15'6" beam (max over the guards)".  So the 42 bulkhead is 15" beam overall plus the inner planking at 7/16" + outer at 9/16", leaving 2" for the guard rail each side.

Now on with the 1:20 half model build to confirm my guesses, whilst I wait for the lines plan before the full model.

Kevin Hutch

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 01:27:01 pm »

Jonathan, I must apologise as I can find no copy of my message reply it seems it did not get sent, I do not seem to be able to send or at least do not get a copy, maybe I am missing something.

In reply to the plans I would love a copy of any plans I can get hold of as I have now married the bulkhead drawings you sent me and it shows that the chine curls downward towards the forward yet when I extrapolate the bulkheads to the half breadth they do not make a smooth line from bow to stern. I included a photo and it seems I have the right sheer plan chine line, but I am a little confused as to the positions of the portholes in the photo. It seems the fit-out is 2 frames further forward, but that can not be, although the frame numbering not starting at the bow is a coincidence.

What I clearly need is a copy of the lines drawings and/or the offsets and I know Los Angeles Maritime Museum has one in the Fellows & Stewart collection, I guess I will just have to wait until there renovations are complete to gain access to their files.

As far as the photos I would love them anyway that is convenient, 700mb sounds fine this end must be quite a collection.
Kevin Hutch

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 12:45:00 am »

We have decided to build 1:35 prototype half hull and full model to confirm the lines, due to the available cedar slats I have for planking.
It is then intended to construct the large model, based on what we have learnt, by then I expect we will have the full lines plans to correct my version 4 guess.
I can only PDF to A3 and the full size model takes A2 hence the A3 tiled in two parts, the beam being so narrow the body plan fits on A4 paper.
The Blue line is the outer hull, the Green is the deck at the centreline (the deck sits on the hull at the gunwale), the Brown is my best guess of the chine line and the bulkheads are based on it.
Kevin Hutch

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 04:46:14 pm »

The Miami was a very efficient design with the engines mounted midships and the propshafts lengthened to keep the much more horizontal thrust axis of the propellors. The prop shafts were two piece with a universal joint midway on each shaft. This arrangement was also superior in terms of hull weight distribution. Good luck with the build. Some years ago their was a Miami thread on Mayhem but I have not been able to locate it as it may have been earlier than the current list. Good luck with your build. I have always admired this design and lookforward to seeing the thread develope. Good luck.

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 10:44:38 pm »

Having completed the half hull and I am happy with the bulkhead shape albeit I think there is more flare on the real boats.

The exercise has proved rather hard to achieve the right lines with 2mm single planking, needing much sanding, so I am pleased the final model will be double planked.

My venetian blind slats proved inconsistent in cedar quality, varying in colour and hardness, they were well seasoned and quite brittle, but it was a great learning curve and it is my first scratch build with only one planked kit experience.

Drum sanding 4mm slats to 2mm and band sawing to 5 x 2mm planks proved easy when I found the right equipment (half the planks were knife cut). Finishing the planks at the stem proved difficult and I had to solid fill the bow with a balsa fill to achieve the right support.

Even though I am happy with the lines and have added a solid deck I have decided to continue and add the above deck superstructure to complete the half model. This will require fitting a cockpit floor much like keyhole surgery but I am now ready for the challenge.

I found it hard to capture a photo of a 1:35 model and even though I have added a continuous deck I have decided to continue with the half model and add the upper deck superstructure.
Kevin Hutch

Kevin.Hutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2021, 10:54:53 pm »

Well thanks to the expert advice I received from this site I have completed the half hull to prove the drawings and hull lines and whilst it is my first scratch build I am happy, compared to what I see in the photos I feel quite the amateur I am.

I went on to add some of the above deck fittings and even added the upper and lower wheel, mind you half a tripod mast was tricky and I am yet to complete the portholes constructed with thin cedar planks, soaked, laminated and rolled on a brass tube. When I am happy with the result I will add the 5 to the hull.

Once the COVID lockdown/lockout conditions are removed and my friend can return to Tassy the plan is still to complete a large scale version.
Kevin Hutch

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2021, 11:14:48 pm »

Wow. That is nice! It would be worth it to leave her natural.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 12:35:14 pm »

Now it needs the mirror background to complete. One problem is that for the proper effect it needs a front silvered mirror to look right, conventional rear silvered ones leave a visible gap between the half model and its reflection. This shows up in museums where they have restored half models using rear silvered mirrors as proper ones are too expensive.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.