Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resin Casting  (Read 3294 times)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Resin Casting
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:01:55 pm »

I've been trying to find some lifeboats for my 1:86 Manxman. I need six all the same.
After rooting round Blackpool I've draw a blank, so driving home I decided that I'd have to make my own.
The plan is to make one out of solid wood, make a mould out of plaster of paris and then cast them with resin.
I know nothing about resin, the white stuff fittings are made from is as far as my knowledge goes.
Is plaster ok for a mould?
Releasing agent required?
Where can you buy the resin?
how does it come.... is it mixed with a catalist like fibre glass?
Any help anyone???
Thanks
Frank

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Resin Casting
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:05:25 am »

Hi Frank, I'm a resin casting virgin too, desperately plucking up courage to have a go and cast some muzzle loading 10 inch guns (amongst other things). I've read a lot about it -  rubber seems to be the favoured medium for molds. You could try this site - it comes highly recommended.

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/index.asp

Rick

FiveStar Adhesuves

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:12:02 am »

for resin fittings, your best with a mould from something like silicone rubber , its a 2 part mix that sets as a flexy mould that can take great detail, will flex to remove parts and can be reused many many times

In a silicone mould no release agent is normaly needed for moulding the fittings, but for making the mould a release agent is needed on the master

you can use any casting resin to mould them, the cheapest is a polyester casting resin (quite high smell like `car` resin), the commecrcial mouldings are normaly polyurethane resin (it smells less but is more toxic)
they are all 2 part  resins, the polyurethane is normaly an equal mix, the polyester works the same as a fiberglass resin, but sets in a casting slower so it doesnt set too quick

for the silicone and the resins a lot of modelers get stuff from glassplies in crowland street southport , they do mail order
www.glasplies.co.uk/

they also do all the glasscloth and resins for making hulls, they have brochures on making moulds etc as well in there catalogues

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:47:10 am »

Thanks fro that, I live in Sunny Southport so I'll pop in and see what they have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.