Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Mercantic  (Read 979 times)

Sechelt Bob

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Billings Mercantic
« on: June 29, 2021, 07:14:36 pm »

I have an old model (very old) of the Mercantic that I would like to motorize. I am going to use a Buelher motor, a Rivabo 35 mm prop with 6 SLA batteries @ 1.2 ah each. This being said I am a little unsure of which ESC or servos to use for the model.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Mercantic
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:17:31 am »

If it is the Billing model, its about 2 1/2 feet long.
Which Buelher motor?  Buelher are a company making a wide range of motors (look for a 15 volt RS385, run it on 6 volts)
6 of 6volt 1.2AH SLA batteries will probably be good for the ballast, just needs great care wiring up and ensuring that they are all in roughly the same state of charge at the time.
Any standard size servo will steer it fine.  The plug might or might not need a bit of trimming to fit the slot in the receiver.  ESC Viper Marine 10or 15, or a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Sechelt Bob

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 05:15:45 pm »

Thanks for the info. The motor was given to me by Soren, see the latest post by Taranis re the Mercantic. The video is his (Soren's) boat. The motor is a Buelher 1.13.055.220 motor by the way.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 10:25:46 pm »

Thanks for the info. The motor was given to me by Soren, see the latest post by Taranis re the Mercantic. The video is his (Soren's) boat. The motor is a Buelher 1.13.055.220 motor by the way.
https://www.ien.eu/uploads/tx_etim/Page_8_Buehler_41384.pdf
Gives information about this make of motor.  Looking at the chart for matching numbers, yours looks like it should be fine.  Going off the dimensions, a 540 or 600 rather than a 385 motor, but the power delivery should be OK.  A larger motor on low voltage gives its power without getting hot.  Obviously, lower voltage, less current, less power, but still enough.
There are ESCs that cost less than those mentioned, but avoid anything that says "50/20 amps" or "320A".  The first is known to offer poor low speed control, the latter speaks for itself.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.