Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Banks Schooner.  (Read 3142 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Grand Banks Schooner.
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 05:22:51 am »

I don't know if the Sarik plans are for a static or working model. If for a static model you will need to increase the rudder area for the working model.
The rudder for the Mary J Ward model is huge, but performs well.

Sorry about the poor image
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 10:32:27 am »

Thank you both very much for your valuable advice Gents .

The Sarik plans specified a 300mm x25mm sq steel box section which I have already fitted , sadly had I seen your comment TT I would have gone for that idea instead .
As far as the rudder goes TT I could not agree more , as I learnt from my first sailing model the Gaff rigged cutter " Size does matter "  O0

I have also extended the bulwarks up to 20mm from the deck surface as the moulding showed scant height which would have worried me a lot . :((
I have built the sail servo the same as you recommended and it is currently being temporarily  installed as we speak as I juggle the electrics around inside this "Greyhound" of a hull

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to respond to my question and for the detail you supplied which is very useful indeed and has helped me a lot

Kind regards Ivor .

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 07:58:01 pm »

Well things are proceeding well and last week I completed the temporary installation of all the electrical gear , motor , Esc , servo's cable runs , control surfaces , battery containment , and once satisfied that it would work and more to the point "fit" I striped it all back out after running it and checking everything was serviceable gave the inner face a  coat of resin to seal it up and beef it up
 including the waterboards and underside of the decking sheets fitted thus far

Not sure if I had a "duff budgie" hull , but the freeboard was so small relative to the finished deck level that I decided to fit an extension to the bulwarks by about 20mm by lining the inner rough face of the bulwarks with 2mm ply and fairing the outer face where it stepped with a little body filler which was completed today  ready for sanding tomorrow .

I then completed the base structure along the lines of how I was advised to ,[ strong , and waterproof ] and once the skeletal was made I coated everything with resin above and below prior to laying the deck.

The decking will be planked on top of the 2mm ply with 2mm maple strip wood which in turn will be varnished [ 2 coats]  and once thats done I will look at constructing the  mast and rigging .[having already layed all the sail control pipes / cord runs

The decking will probably make a few purists cringe as she has bigger and broader cabins born, out of necessity, to ensure the model would not only work but be serviceable once afloat should the need for rework/ alterations  arise ,

So far so good , and just thankful that I had the knowledge of the first build to draw upon  :-))

I'll keep you posted on progress as and when ......thanks for looking in . ok2

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 08:15:28 pm »

I don't know if the Sarik plans are for a static or working model. If for a static model you will need to increase the rudder area for the working model.
The rudder for the Mary J Ward model is huge, but performs well.

Sorry about the poor image

High Tiger , cant help but notice the that the hull shown here is very different from the "Armstrong " hull I have in that the keel is much shorter and slimmer  than mine[ see post 10 July ]  O0

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 05:48:56 am »

Hi I agree with TT it is a different hull.
regards
Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 07:14:58 am »

High Tiger , cant help but notice the that the hull shown here is very different from the "Armstrong " hull I have in that the keel is much shorter and slimmer  than mine[ see post 10 July ]  O0

Some model boat designs stretch out (vertically) the hull lines, below the water line. This is deliberate which allows the ballast to be much lower in the water. This is done to make the boat more stable and to eliminate the need for a drop keel (keel fin and bulb).

The lines of the hull for the Mary J Ward are possibly closer to the original lines of the boats she was modelled on. The hull lines may be closer to scale, but the keel fin and bulb are not.
Your hull shown in you post of 10 July  has a keel that is deeper in the water, and is probably a vertical exaggeration of the lines of the original boat, BUT you will not need a drop keel.

Elongating the lines vertically is a compromise, and models like this are less stable than those with a fin keel, but unless you are close hauled in strong winds the model will be stable enough.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 10:02:55 am »

Hi TT, I have noticed that with some plans.  If you look at a MM plan for Caribee it looks short and tubby.  But many years ago I checked with the owner and the lengthwise lines of the plans need to be increased by 20% to get the right hull shape.  Then she looks really nice.
regards
Roy

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2021, 02:46:41 pm »

Well you live and learn each Day do you not  :o

So all that trouble I put into the positioning of the steel tube and the S/S bolts down through the keel were all for nothing  {:-{  such is life eh ......but thanks for enlightening me ..........

I think an unscheduled water test would be prudent once the hull is primed and before I set about fitting out the hull /mast / rigging dont you .

Never mind if as you suspect she will no longer need a ballast keel and bulb that will save me having to make one up and the materials bought can be put to use elsewhere  O0

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2021, 04:01:21 pm »

Hello,

Have a look at my Website !!!. www.John-Dowd.co.uk

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2021, 06:21:35 pm »

I already have on another website Jaydee . and learnt much from it John , whilst I will never be in your league I will enjoy the project very much .

Since this mornings response I have spent the day titivating the hull and having now seen JAYDEES  thread again I note that he also  had a lower keel fitted to his " foam beauty"   :-))    O0

Progress to date

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.