Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbi  (Read 1450 times)

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbi
« on: July 08, 2021, 06:34:14 pm »

Hi modelboatmayhem,

I'm a newbie so please be gentle.
My interest in model boats are mainly slow speed ships that will fit in a bath and yachts.
I have a usable lake close by but has a slight weed problem.

I have made several RC boats in the past living in a coastal holiday town and enjoyed making and sailing models in the harbour area, a tidal lagoon which was great.  I now live in an ex quarry village with the closest lake being a ten minute walk, but has limited access, so all boats now have to be small and light, which means the larger IC powered boats are not practical.

I made a 1 1/2 sized Vic Smeed sea rider, a Leander class look alike frigate, the free plan HMS romper, and several others.
I like yachts and am after a Lesro 575...

Anyways, off to have a look around.
Thanks.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Newbi
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:14:50 pm »

Greetings Rich,

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Vic Smeed: Sea Rider.... this one?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 09:43:24 pm »

Welcome Rich, if you could let the MBM members know where abouts you are I am sure they can help with water as there are a lot of members in your region that will be able to help  O0
Steamed up all the time

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 08:23:24 am »

Thanks for the replies...

Sea rider, electric powered 2 channel Leander class frigate look alike.

My mate had a book stall in town and a plan of this boat was there. He gave me the plan so I made one. Sailing it in the lagoon caused lots of interest. I was made an offer I just could not refuse, so I made another, and another.

Then I made one 1 1/2 scale which fitted in the bath. That caused more interest and a repeat exercise. I nice easy to make and stable dry boat.

The HMS romper free plan 1 1/2 scale model was more involved but still and easy boat to make. The removable aft deck was sealed by some thin foam resulting in a dry boat.
That model was also a real interest maker and looked great on the water healing over impressively.

Yes they are simple floating boxes but look good static and look better sailing.

I like the look of the Vic Smeed yacht and will do some research, hopefully getting a pdf popy of the plan. An alternative to a Lesro 575 which is probably the boating equivalent of "rocking horse droppings" these days.

I live near Caernarfon these days and am carless at the moment. Llanberis Llyn Padarn is not that far away and a good popular venue with good "footfall", so could provide funds for my hobby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.