Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precedent perkasa  (Read 847 times)

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Precedent perkasa
« on: July 08, 2021, 07:42:13 pm »

I'm a newbie and still looking around the site...

I have seen the revel flower class thread and will be reading all of that as I have an old airfix version which came to me from a friend, built as a static model but in a poor state.

I will be converting to RC electric and making it good enough...

Is there a thread about the precedent perkasa kit, fibre glass hull ?

This came to me from the same person as above with the deck off the hull and partly built.

I would like to complete it with a petrol motor and centrifugal clutch...

All info of the perkasa, ic or electric greatly appreciated, it would be the only if boat of interest to me, and would need a wheeled transporter to get it to the lake, with an electric back up ( maybe ic powered "generator" and electric powered ) system, the lake is hundreds of feet deep, an old quarry pit.

All help greatly appreciated...rich.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Precedent perkasa
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 10:03:40 pm »

Hi Rich (I have just posted on your newbie bit  :-)) )
How big a Perkasa hull have you got, as to even fit a small (22cc) petrol engine would be a squeeze, and adding an additional get out of trouble electric motor might make things even tighter  O0 . I do see your problem as a friend of mine lost his boat (it sort of went down rather than along )in the pandan lake at llanberis. Greater minds than mine will have great advice (I being mainly steam) but I would go with brushless and if you have the radio gear a second small motor (slave drive ie second small shaft to one side separate control) that will get you home. And you get reverse with electric  :-)
Hope this helps a little.
Steamed up all the time

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 08:04:28 am »

Llyn padarn, which bit, will mention to some divers !

I am amazed of how much "air" people build into model boats !

I tend to fill the air spaces with foam which is light and will displace any water that may make its way into a model boat.

The percasa us quite long and take quite a bit of space in the loft, it's home for about 20 years but will "come down" into my model room this winter.

As said heavy boats are going to be a problem so I will be "converting" them into paper to help fund my hobby.

The percasa is the only if powered boat of interest really and will require some more thought and research before committing funds into it.

I need a pull start engine, preferably a 4 stroke, petrol, so no body can moan I am polluting the lake, which is odd really as the now full and methane producing ( producing electricity ) old tip some 150 feet above and 1/4 mile away, has water run off which will find its way into the lake. The pit was not lined !

The brown lake in another part of the quarry has been seen "bubbling" even in the winter, so something is going on in there !

Llanberis quarries may still contain "taban" bombs !

Anyways, stay safe out there...

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 09:57:28 pm »

I can confirm that a 22cc Strimmer motor with centrifugal clutch will quite easily fit into the larger 49 1/2" Perkasa, as that is what my Father and I did back in the 80's, rather than going down the i.c route.
The hull was (and still is) the fibreglass one and it coped with both the weight and the performance of the fairly heavy motor and fuel tank (an old thinners can with fittings soldered to it) easily.

The 22cc Kawasaki motor has long been removed and I am converting the model to brushless instead.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 10:21:33 pm »

The 49" Perkasa has been on my wishlist for as long as I can remember,  my intention would be to power it with an ASP .91 glow motor. One of the smaller petrol motors - such as the Zenoah G230 would work very well. Easier to come by a Tiger King 26cc Open Port motor, which would probably be a bit too much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.