Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP with ESC's  (Read 3515 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: HELP with ESC's
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 05:36:52 pm »

If they are the motors I am thinking of plenty of revs at 6 volts and a reasonable current, but on 12 volt I call them ESC killers.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 06:28:35 pm »

Hi Chris, the motors on the Tiger build look like Johnson 540,s have you asked boatman for advice on the
motor esc controls etc.
John

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 06:34:52 pm »

If they are the motors I am thinking of plenty of revs at 6 volts and a reasonable current, but on 12 volt I call them ESC killers.

Bob

HI BOB AN YOU would be right as them motors were heavy currunt an i took them back to the shop where i bought them an asked for a refund an got it so im now back to my first johnsons motors an my freind came over an helped to
get a solution on them an it seems to have worked so it back to fittin all four motors back in an then rewirein them  cheers an to all you guys for your help
chris

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 09:08:37 am »

Just for curiosity Chris, what size were your first Johnson motors you have re fitted?

John

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2021, 12:17:47 pm »

Just for curiosity Chris, what size were your first Johnson motors you have re fitted?

John

https://ibb.co/vxVZBhz
HI John here is a pic of the first johnson motor an you can see its a lot smaller that that heavy currant ones i took back sorry pic its upsidedown
chris

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 02:49:26 pm »

HI Chris is there any other marking on the motor case  trying to find more info on this motor.

Stan.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2021, 02:54:54 pm »

HI Chris is there any other marking on the motor case  trying to find more info on this motor.

Stan.

HI STAN IM SENDING YOU A PM
CHRIS

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2021, 06:20:52 am »

Hi Chris, the motors on the Tiger build look like Johnson 540,s have you asked boatman for advice on the
motor esc controls etc.
John

HI John boatman is me FROGMAN 3 is a name i came up with as was on mayhem about 10 yrs ago an i left as movein house an  when i came back online i treid to rejion as BOATMAN but the site says there already is a BOATMAN so i had to come on as frogman 3 hope that clears that up
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HELP ESC's
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 07:04:08 am »

HI Chris looking at those motors they may draw lots of power. Do you know what motors they are ? If you use my picture of the Missouri your installation should be the same. The motor cables seem to be red and black I always wire them using yellow and blue. If possible can you tidy up the wiring it is very difficult the see how this all works. Looking at those motors I suspect the will have very high stall current which could be more than the rated value of the  ESC. Just one more question are you getting the red and green light on the ESC when you turn on the small black switches?

HI STAN  yes im getting the red an green lights come on ok on both ESC's an when i run the motors the lights go out is this correct ?  an do you think ive fitted the ESC 's to close to the motors ? an if yes how far away should i refit the ESC's  ? AN
 i have not fitted any suppresers on my motors will they help ?
AS i have not wired up motors for yrs an ive forgotten a lot of what not to
 do 's an if you say yes to any of my questions then i will take it all to bits an rewire it like your [/size]Missouri model. or as nr as possible as the reason i have fitted this all togeather closely as in model boats mag they say keep the wirein as short as possible so i have an plus im a bit pressed for space as i wanted to fit other things  in an maybe another batt for ballast if you see what i mean
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 07:11:18 am »

an ive taken the relay out in case that was causeing problems  >>:-( <*< >:-o  so i sharnt do any more untill i hear your answers ? an Stan a linkpic to SHOW how its  NOW   back to what it was in the first place BAR THE RELAY  so are they all to close ?
https://ibb.co/264zgTc   AN  Stan  i think i will cut off the white plastic plugs as lookin at your pics i see that you have cut yours off  an ive had trouble with them before as they welded themselves togeather an i could not part them in my big nimitz carrier
chris cheers  :-))

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 07:30:24 pm »

Hi Chris,
Have you sorted your ESC/Motor issue out yet ? {:-{ {:-{
Regards David

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2021, 08:04:56 pm »

HI Frogman  I will reply later with my findings from m/ tronicks they suspect the problem may be one battery cannot supply the demands of the four motors. I have tried to find information on the johnson motors you intend to fit with no joy. In terms of the B E C stopping and restarting this could be due to a voltage drop hence the B EC  stops working.

Stan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2021, 08:13:08 pm »

Hi Chris,
Have you sorted your ESC/Motor issue out yet ? {:-{ {:-{

HI Dave in a word NO an i tried it today again an still its was cutting out an if they are like that running freely what will they be like under load in the water
so i thought right its all comin out so now it is out an while ive got it all out i thought i regrease the prop shafts so im doin all 4 tomorrow an when ive done that then im movein them bloomin viper ESC BACK in the hull away from the motors an ive also been to the model shop today an bought some capister to fit to the motors to stop any interfearance  an this will take all week  >>:-( <*<
but then if i still get trouble then i'll buy some different ESC 's an try that
but one thing i know its getting exspensive hope you are well dave
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2021, 08:26:42 pm »

HI Frogman  I will reply later with my findings from m/ tronicks they suspect the problem may be one battery cannot supply the demands of the four motors. I have tried to find information on the johnson motors you intend to fit with no joy. In terms of the B E C stopping and restarting this could be due to a voltage drop hence the B EC  stops working.

Stan

OK Stan many thanks for tryin an as for one battery  cannot supply 4 motors
well one batt worked ok on my four motors in my nimitz with power to spare an i had sailing times of half an hr or more be quite honest i think this BECC idea is not as good as the good ole 40 meg  as i never had this trouble on that
freqency but as i said to dave in my last post i'll give it one more try with these vipers ESC an if no good then i'll buy some different ESC 's an try them an ive been lookin at your layout in missriue an im goin to try your idea out of space thing out
ALL BEST Stan
chris

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2021, 08:56:19 pm »

Hi Chris, how old is the battery you are using, have you checked the voltage drop across the battery with a
multimeter when you power up your 4 motors. BEC, battery elimination circuit takes power from a esc to the rx
When you switch on it does not matter what frequency you use.
John

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 08:56:59 pm »

HI Chris which ever E S C you buy they are all nowadays fitted with the B E C system. Maybe you should try and fit a separate battery to power your  receiver. I understand you can run one motor without any trouble by everything stops with two I still think you have a battery /motor problem.

Stan.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2021, 09:05:02 pm »

OK Stan but i'll give it one more try but in my R/C book intructions it says i must not ues a seperate batt to power the R/X an you stan are running the same setup up as me you have four motors through two vipers from what i see on of your pics but cheers for your help ps personably i think these vipers are not up to the job but just my opinion
chris

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2021, 09:09:42 pm »

... I have tried to find information on the johnson motors you intend to fit with no joy.
Stan, they are used by MFA Como as the RE 540/1 in the 942D gear boxes
The shaft is 5mm rather than 12mm.
Howes webshop photo shows the numbers on the can.

Chris, they are not up to running the props direct.
Once your woes are over, a 12v test with a healthy battery and wiring would show up current draw over 8 amps and rpm falling below 7,500 rpm.
If you can get your hands on four 555 motors and check voltage right up at the input of escs and bec you are sorted.
You also misunderstand the "do not use batt to power R/X" reference so you can remove both red wires and use an Rx battery in place of the bec.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2021, 09:17:36 pm »

OK Stan many thanks for tryin an as for one battery  cannot supply 4 motors
well one batt worked ok on my four motors in my nimitz with power to spare an i had sailing times of half an hr or more be quite honest i think this BECC idea is not as good as the good ole 40 meg  as i never had this trouble on that
freqency but as i said to dave in my last post i'll give it one more try with these vipers ESC an if no good then i'll buy some different ESC 's an try them an ive been lookin at your layout in missriue an im goin to try your idea out of space thing out
ALL BEST Stan
chris
If a 12AH SLA is giving a bit more than 30 minutes, it means that 20+ amps is being pulled.  That is not good for an SLA battery.  They are just not meant for that level of continuous use.  They are delivering something over 20 times what they were designed for.  After a few cycles like that, they stop being rechargeable batteries.
Having the right motors for the size and type of boat to give the required performance is a vital start.  I didn't notice a mention in this thread, but what scale is it?  Knowing the scale and model gives a starting point for working out what actual power is needed.  Then you can start to ponder over what props are fitted and what motors are going to be happy turning them at the right speed without going into a semi-stall mode where they mostly just discharge the battery and heat up the hull.
BEC units do a perfect job giving a 5 volt supply from a 12 volt battery, even an overworked one as long as the common ground connection is as solid as it should be.  It doesn't matter at all what kind of radio is involved, 27MHz AM, 40MHz AM or FM or 2G4.  The only difference is that on any AM system, interference from the motors in the boat is likely to be a problem.  Much less likely with 2G4, but you might give problems to nearby models on the AM radios.
Having ESCs near their motors is not a problem.  Shorter wires is generally a good thing.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2021, 09:33:05 pm »

New to this thread, but it is obvious that the big Johnson motors originally fitted were a terrible choice of motor for a scale ship, more so four of them! Given the lack of info on the currently fitted motors I would suspect them of being the problem. That and the 12v power supply. 12v is great but you need to match the motors to the voltage, and I think this is what is going wrong here, again and again. I feel your local hobby shop is giving you some pretty duff recommendations on motors. Which motors are they, specifically? Give us a link to check out their rpm etc. If they turn out to be too fast for 12v, which will trip out the speed controls as described, the easiest fix is to drop down to a pair of 7.2v NiMh batteries. Lower current, less chance of tripping out. But we are getting ahead of ourselves.. what are the motors, exactly?!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2021, 09:53:08 pm »

HI The motors are Johnson marked 1061157 3m0631 hope this helps.

Stan.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2021, 09:56:41 pm »

HI The motors are Johnson marked 1061157 3m0631 hope this helps.

Stan.

Not at all, but good try ok2

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2021, 09:59:46 pm »

For a scale setup I think we would be looking at somewhere between 4000rpm and 7000rpm motors. These ones 'could' be 12000rpm plus. Difficult to tell trying to look them up online. We don't know if they are Howes motors or MFA motors at the moment, so everything is currently guesswork till we get more info.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2021, 10:03:52 pm »

OK Stan but i'll give it one more try but in my R/C book intructions it says i must not ues a seperate batt to power the R/X an you stan are running the same setup up as me you have four motors through two vipers from what i see on of your pics but cheers for your help ps personably i think these vipers are not up to the job but just my opinion
chris
Chris not sure how you are reading the manual but the first slot on the rx is for a batt pack, you disconnect BOTH red wires from the esc then you use a batt pack I agree with Stan that its not the Mtroniks, thaye are usually very good and trouble free. How I told you I wired Leviathan up is exactly how my Tiger was wired and no problems with that.

Bob
I will finish this model

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2021, 10:14:22 pm »

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/johnson-540-3-pole-motor-4-5-15-volts/ same electrical spec as RE540/1
They do the RE 540/ln , currently sold out.

The  540/ln does a bigger prop than what you have now, Chris.
555 motor suits a bigger prop.
Last night I did a reverse image search to get the above and also somehow got a hit on RS components (export shop) listing of the geared 942D motors. The painted numbers showed there too.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.