Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Vale or not?  (Read 901 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
HMS Vale or not?
« on: July 15, 2021, 06:25:09 pm »

Wandered down the River Deben this morning and came across a new cafe near Woodbridge on a gunboat, built in Norway. The sign says she's the good ship HMS Vale (P155) and had been the training ship T/S Lord Nelson in Norwich after service in the Swedish Navy. Now I've always been under the impression that HMS implies Royal Navy, Hr.Ms. is used for the Royal Dutch Navy etc. and HSwMS means Royal Swedish Navy so is it reasonable to use HMS on a ship that has never seen service in the Royal Navy?I've got no qualms about it either way apart from thinking that a Swedish ship, with a good heritage, should be proud of the Swedish bit?
Dunno {:-{

Oh, and no they've taken the goodies off!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Vale or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 07:43:43 pm »

I’d say that they got the HMS wrong- according to what I’ve found out that it should be HSwMS not HMS as it has reverted to its original title and name. If it was a Royal Navy it should be TS Nelson. As far as I know there hasn’t been a HMS Vale in RN history. Interesting to see something different on the river though. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 08:15:56 pm »

That's what I thought. Officially it was TS Lord Nelson and then, when sold, it had no official name, so the HMS is rather an odd choice.
Here's the basic story https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/food-and-drink/floating-cafe-on-river-deben-7030518

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 09:06:06 am »

A great many people are unaware of the meanings of letter groups like "HMS" and "USN".  I've overheard "HMS Bismark"(!!?), so for the general public, if its grey, its HMS, no matter whose navy it belonged to.  That's if it doesn't get referred to as an "Army Boat".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.