Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liverpool Twin - Lifeboat  (Read 2155 times)

minimariner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Liverpool Twin - Lifeboat
« on: July 19, 2021, 07:38:51 pm »

Is anyone building Dave Metcalf`s Liverpool Twin 1/12 scale Lifeboat,
               If so how is the kit going.

Bryan.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Liverpool Twin - Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:57:46 pm »

RNLI RC LIFEBOATS on Facebook have lots of info on this model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

horatio123

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 02:27:34 pm »

Hi
Yes I am building it. I am normally a warship scratch builder but  l have built the Rother lifeboat also by Dave Metcalf .
The Liverpool is not too bad although I have found a few problems with incorrect measurements and part numbering in the instructions . The under deck cut out for the cabin is not in the correct place and I had to modify the opening .Fitting the deck beams was also a bit frustrating they needed a lot of work to get a decent fit. I fitted two MFA 400 motors and they seemed to give a nice scale performance on the water. Be prepared to do a lot of wood staining and varnishing too . The cabin was a bit of a challenge as I decided to plank it with mahogany planking instead of the dolls house paper supplied but it looks good especially after 14 coats of clear varnish.
I have just finished Making up the buoyancy boxes , the port side ones needed work as the bottom panels were too long and had to be cut back.
Have had to put build to one side at moment due to completing warship commission build .
David

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 07:38:36 pm »

Hi .

If I may resurrect this oldish thread,  I am just starting a David Metcalf Liverpool boat. The box arrived this afternoon. I have to say that David is really good to communicate with and what I make of the kit so far impresses me greatly.. A coincidence but while I was waiting for the kit to arrive I was also contemplating planking the cabin with some 6mm X 0.5 mm hardwood strip left over from my previous build , can I have any thoughts please on the best product to bond the hardwood onto the glass/resin cabin moulding . Hopefully something less messy than Epoxy

cheers
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

horatio123

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:34:35 pm »

Hi
I used Gator contact adhesive to stick strips on cabin , cabin surface was sanded to give a key for glue . The finished cabin has had 12 coats of gloss varnish after completion. Beware super glue will bloom finish if you use it for fittings .
The kit builds up quite well but beware that some measurements in the instructions are incorrect and laser cut parts are not 100% accurate. I am building mine as Grace Darling using photos from actual boat in Chatham Dockyard .
Hope this helps .
David

RST

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 11:31:15 pm »

Just to say as we seem overwhelmed with builds on here in response, there is a blow by blow write-up on modelboats and rcgroups forums at the moment of a Metcalf kit that are worth pointing out and watching if you've not found it already.
Rich

Tim Logan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lifeboats & Tugs
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 11:00:48 am »

Hi Bryan -
  You recently sent me a PM. Just wanted you to know that I did respond by sending you a PM, but I'm wondering if the PMs are getting through to you? I had provided information that you asked about and in a November PM as well. Anyway, I'm just sending this to let you know that I did not ignore you  :-) .  Best regards, Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.