Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beadle by Glynn Guest  (Read 3375 times)

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Beadle by Glynn Guest
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:54:27 pm »

Would anybody have a good scan/plan/photo of the plan 'Beadle' by Glynn guest?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Beadle by Glynn Guest
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 11:02:39 pm »

The one you have the picture from is a reasonable price.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 02:31:05 pm »

Well, it does say 'FREE' in the picture....

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 05:45:22 pm »

Glynn is on this forum maybe he can help?

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 06:22:53 pm »

I was given a quantity of 'Model Boat' magazines recently, mostly late '70's early 80's and what joy!
I did get a digital subscription last year to Model Boats when the Coof hit but I didn't manage to read more than about four of them, they just ain't the same.  Despite the B/W photos, spelling mistakes, typesetting, 'article continued on page xx' some have the original plans and I have decided to capture a few on CAD for fun.  The first is 'Midge', a freelance fast torpedo boat, probably not suitable for steam.  There is an article on converting your Meccano steam engine into a paddle steamer...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:23 pm »

I did get a digital subscription last year to Model Boats when the Coof hit but I didn't manage to read more than about four of them, they just ain't the same.

I'm a bit surprised that you would have expected them to be the same given that it is around 40 years on! Things have changed a bit since then, not always for the better in some respects, but to move with the readership although some of us do like to fondly recall the past.

Yes, you could convert your meccano steam engine to drive a paddler but I'd bet that it didn't work all that well!

The old plans were good but few people produce them now. I am currently using a 1972 plan to build a paddler although it will not be a steamer. Being able to easily buy geared motors makes the drive train a lot easier too.

Colin

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 07:55:03 pm »

Here are some low-res scans.  I can scan the them better if there is any interest.
A Meccano steam engine probably cost about GBP 6 then.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 09:03:55 pm »

I rather doubt if there would be many 'beginners' who would be prepared to tackle something like that these days!

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 09:24:31 pm »

That engine looks very much like something I built at my high school.  apart from the paddle wheel as was more like a Mamod engine

Not to hijack the thread but as you were talking about Meccano how about this from a show the other day.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 10:35:12 am »

With reference to "belli's" original post, copies of the original plans might be available from sarik hobbies (check via the Model boats website). I say "might" because it is not always easy to locate things on this site and some plans are missing or misidentified.

A few seconds work on an internet search engine uncovered numerous offers of the Beadle plan.  Be warned not only do they want your money for these plans, the quality (and legality) may be poor.  You could end up with an expensive wad of small sheets that will be a #!*?! to join.

The current editor of "Model Boats" took over this magazine with little knowledge of this hobby.  She has tried to learn more but this is not easy when you have to meet monthly publishing deadlines plus the not insignificant restrictions of the Covid pandemic which prevented her getting out and meeting her customers in person/action.  As such any feedback, positive and negative, would seem to be highly desirable.  The question is "have you contacted her with your feelings?", paying for a subscription and being disappointed is something she ought to know about.  If the editor only receives positive comments they you can hardly complain if she carries on in the same vein.

Glynn Guest

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 10:58:03 am »

Just had a good look at Geoffrey Deason's very neat Prunella  paddle steamer design.  Now these Meccano steam engines where never going to produce a lot of power but the photo of the model sailing suggests a realistic speed could obtained.  Where I to build this model I'd make a few changes, firstly the up-sweep of the bottom sheet would start at Bulkhead C rather than D.  This would ease the path that water flowing around the hull has to take with benefits to the models speed and possibly the rudders effectiveness.  The rudder I would also change to a balanced design and make it deeper.  The latter would move more rudder area out of the sluggish and maybe turbulent water which flows close to the hull.

As for the actual Meccano steam engine, aren't these now collectors items to be lavishly polished and displayed on shelves for us lesser mortals to admire..?  An alternative like the "Unit" steam plant (used in the original Beadle model and still somewhere under my workbench) could be used although the engine would need to be turned through 90 degrees to use a similar pulley drive to the paddle wheel shaft.  Ah.... another idea to go into my future projects file I fear.
Glynn Guest

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 12:05:05 pm »

There is also the old Model Maker magazine to pursue to - many interesting plans etc - but not only for boats although it became Model Boats/ Model Maker circa 1966 concentrating on model boats and became simply Model Boats a few years later. Worth looking for a few of them . Have a whole collection here but unfortunately over 6000 miles away.

That particular plan of a paddler looks very much like the Hobbys one . Purchased one but it is still in UK with my sister because of the pandemic so cant make a full comparison - believe the plan is still under 4gbp (no pound signs on our keyboards). Was also able to find what is probably the smallest in the range of Mamods from the original owner at a boot sale for a tenner shortly before leaving the UK. Boiler & engine are in reasonable condition but the same cant be said for the rest. A friend who manufactures small scale steam & hot air engines for sale checked it over & pronounced it safe to use . Hopefully it will take its place in a boat sometime - but probably in an open fantail launch rather than a paddler as the boiler would probably not be man enough for the job. Also it always seems to be a shame to hide a steam engine under a cover.
One can always use Glynn Guests idea of twin rudders instead of a Kitchen rudder to control a small steamboat - there was a full article on it by Glynn in a later edition of Model Boats .

Think you really need the type of engine that is fitted to the Waverley for instance with a paddler - at model size of course . Lots of torque required for the paddles - although I do seem to remember seeing a twin cylinder Mamod that should work well  but that would definitely be a collectors item and be worth a fortune as Glynn suggested

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 12:07:22 pm »

Glynn

I agree about emailing the editor with comments about the magazine but don't expect an acknowledgment or a reply. My experience.

It is a great pity that for designs for which they don't intend to sell copies they do not make them copyright free as some US modelling magazines have done. We could then post copies of them here. As it is I believe that they have copyright protection for 75 years.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 02:31:54 pm »

My statement of not really being happy with the magazine was not really indicative of the quality of the magazine but rather how I felt towards it.   Perhaps it is a nostalgia thing where I remember reading these issues as a child and drooling over the adverts for things I couldn't afford.  The Meccano powered paddle steamer would never make it into the magazine now, even 'home made' steam in general might not as it is a safety issue (and a very small group of people).  All those small 'steam' companies are gone, there was a construction article where you could send away GBP10 for the USE steam plant!  We might never see that again.

Reading it on the computer as well will never be as good as reading a magazine in your hands locked in a small room where nobody can disturb you.  A paper subscription would have been better for me but when you are stuck at home and you want something now....

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 03:03:05 pm »

And the free plans which is one of my favourite parts don't come with the digital subscription.   :((

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 03:05:27 pm »

What is Beadle ? my google fuuu has failed to turn up any pics
Mamod still make marine steam plants and USE are still going
http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110
Not that this tight wads would buy one
keep well

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 03:19:07 pm »

I forgot that the USE were still available!

I also googled Beadle and came up empty handed.  That picture is literally all I found, GG needs to teach us his Google Fuuu

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 04:42:00 pm »

belli,
       Try an appropriate category name, using inverted comers if more than one word is needed, plus a specific subject name.  In this case "model boat" + Beadle seems to work for me.

If this throws up too many hits, you could add things like plans or even my name....

Sometimes you have to mix things a little and retry as Internet search engines can generate some rather weird results.

Glynn Guest

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »

And the free plans which is one of my favourite parts don't come with the digital subscription.   :((

Which is why the digital subscription is considerably cheaper.. O0

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 05:17:37 pm »

This is some of the Magazine Article.

And plans only for sale here.  [size=78%]MODEL BOAT PLAN SPOOK & BEADLE ISSUE 575 & 556 GLYNN GUEST | eBay[/size]

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 01:08:13 pm »

Would anybody have a good scan/plan/photo of the plan 'Beadle' by Glynn guest?

I am sure I have the plan in my To Do pile. Not got round to building it myself yet. I will search for it later today and see if I can help you out, unless you are already sorted.

Ade

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 01:56:22 pm »

Thanks Ade, that would be great.

Seems everybody has the same hobby as me, collecting plans....

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 04:47:47 pm »

Thanks Ade, that would be great.

Seems everybody has the same hobby as me, collecting plans....
Well my excuse is I have been busy lately  {-) .
Have found it.
Do you want to PM me?

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 05:24:01 pm »

This is where I should have been last Saturday but life happens when you're making other plans....

All CAD, done.
Laser cutting, done.
Glue ups, in progress....

I would be very happy to share all the files here if anybody is interested.

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2021, 07:40:58 pm »

Well done with what you have achieved thus far. I look forward to seeing the build progress.

Ade.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.