Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedy DVLA or ?????  (Read 1510 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Speedy DVLA or ?????
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:57:48 pm »

Applied online Mon 19th for my 3 yearly renewal licence which arrived today.Are these guys getting faster or maybe just a large drop in applications  :((   There But For springs to mind

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Speedy DVLA or ?????
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:16:57 pm »

My daughter had a similar speedy response despite stories in the press about people not being able to travel because their licence hadn't arrived.

Barrie

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:23:51 pm »

last week, my wife`s took 4 days from website application on Monday to receipt on Thursday.   It is a similar story with passports, do  it through the Post Office and it only takes less than a week.   Pete

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:53:35 pm »

Don't get me started, if you can't do it online DVLA is a nightmare! I've been waiting since February.

I have an eye medical condition. and on Jan 31st sent off the appropriate forms together with copies of letters from my consultant which I considered to confirm I am OK to drive.
On Feb 18th got a letter from DVLA saying they still wanted me to take visual field and acuity tests to confirm but tests were suspended 'due to Covid'. In the meantime I was on 'Scout's Honour' to satisfy myself that I met DVLA standards which I considered that I did.
Mid May received letter saying I must make eye test appointment with Specsavers.
Took test on 31st May. Asked for printout and compared this with DVLA standards as posted on their website which indicated that I meet their requirements.
Not heard a peep out of them since. All they have to do is look at the test results.

DVLA Chief Exec appeared before Parliamentary Committee yesterday and was very evasive over how long people with medical issues are having to wait.
Many people are worse off than me as I can still drive pending hearing from them but have no licence so cannot hire a car or take mine abroad (not that I'd want to at the moment anyway). Some people have sent their passports off as proof of ID and cannot get them back, others are waiting to have their licences restored after recovering from medical conditions, in the meantime they can't drive and in some cases can't earn a living.

Meanwhile there is a backlog of 1.4m cases and growing while the DVLA management and unions wage war on each other with continual strikes.
No end in prospect to this utter mess at all.  <*< <*< <*< >>:-(

Colin

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 03:07:05 pm »

Ah.... the DVLA, a much maligned body of men and women, after all they knew better than me how to spell my name.....!
From contacts in the police force, they do not think too highly of them either.
Glynn Guest

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 03:32:18 pm »

Them being on stike does not help matters, mine will take a lot longer as I have supplied medical evidence that contradicts all they have said about my licene   They have penalised me for an eye operation which  they class as a condition, my consultant has told them that operation does not even appear in their list of reportable illness, it was aproblem, she oprated, its not a problem.  I wait with bated breath.  My partne waited three months for hers.

Bob
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 03:34:42 pm »

last week, my wife`s took 4 days from website application on Monday to receipt on Thursday.   It is a similar story with passports, do  it through the Post Office and it only takes less than a week.   Pete

Yes but many have to prove other issues with them, its very quick if done on line, does not matter if its post office or not if its not a one for one then you are stuck with long wait.
Bob
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 03:36:06 pm »

Applied online Mon 19th for my 3 yearly renewal licence which arrived today.Are these guys getting faster or maybe just a large drop in applications  :((   There But For springs to mind
was that on line trhough? thats quick but paper applications that some of us have to  use because of other issues are taking yonks.

Bob
I will finish this model

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 03:48:03 pm »

The over 70s renewal system is basically flawed as unless you have already registered a medical condition you can just go online and tick all the boxes and hey presto! The temptation is there and I think many people take it even though it will automatically invalidate your insurance if you have made a false declaration.

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 03:55:02 pm »

Yes Bob as said applied on line.This is my 5th  3year renewal and only ever had one minor blip after having  my cataracts done no longer needed glasses  other than for some reading. On the first renewal after that I ticked I did not need for driving the robot fired straight back to query as  that did not tally with previous applications I just had to tick to confirm. Colin no more flawed than using the form and posting it there is nothing different to fill in

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 04:18:58 pm »

Colin no more flawed than using the form and posting it there is nothing different to fill in

I don't think I said that. If at the age of 70 you can tick all the boxes either online or on the paper form to get an automatic renewal then you can keep doing that indefinitely unless a medical condition comes to the attention of the DVLA in some other way, an accident for example. You just have to lie and many do. That is why a lot of people only stop driving when their families refuse to let them. Look at the Duke of Edinburgh, he totalled his Range Rover from inattention and was back in a new one the next day before he was persuaded that it was maybe not a good idea.

Having to stop driving is a dreadful blow for most and they will do what they can to avoid it.

Colin

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 04:59:02 pm »

My granddaughter was 17 on June 4th and applied by post for a provisional licence on 12th March using a passport that was valid until 21st June. On July 13th she receieved a postal rejection because her passport was out of date on the day it was processed, even though they had been in possession of a valid passport for 10 weeks.

A new passport also has a 10 week delay and so she had to sent the DVLA a new application with a photo that had been countersigned by someone who had known her for 4 years.  Once upon a time that was easy, it could be signed by any professional person.   Now it must be signed by a doctor, a policeman, or a county/town councillor who must possess a valid photo driving licence.  That excludes any person under 70 years of age who passed their test before 1998.
We eventually found a county councillor to sign it, apparently he signs photos every week for people he has never met, what else is he to do?
There is no special handling of re-applications, a new 10 week delay starts when it arrives at Swansea.  You think they could have used a special postcode to allow a faster response.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 05:12:34 pm »

You think they could have used a special postcode to allow a faster response.

This was suggested to the Chief Exec of DVLA yesterday, she didn't have a real answer. Much is made of the fact that correspondence is dealt with in the order it is received but that of course means that every time DVLA gets a response to its enquiries it goes to the bottom of the queue. They don't seem to prioritise in any way as far as I can see.  My situation is less urgent than someone who needs their licence back to return to employment but we are both in the same boat.

Industrial relations seem to be at rock bottom. The DVLA is not fit for purpose at the moment and all the boss does is offer weak excuses. They don't even answer the phone most of the time.

Colin

XS850

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 08:05:51 pm »

Just had a motorcycle re-registered (1965 Norton) - took about 3 months from sending off all the documents.
Conversely, applied online for new license (at 70) 2 months ago - still waiting!
Bruce

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 10:28:49 am »

I am surprised to hear of these delays. Both by wife and I have recently renewed our driving licence (10 year photograph renewal), via a local post office. Both applications took a mere 6 days to process back through our letter box. 
Hmmm...maybe the DVLA have 'out-sourced' that task !
I hope you all get sorted soon.
Bintur Ellenbach

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 11:14:36 am »

I think it depends a lot on whether the renewal is routine, or if there is a medical condition declared. A friend has been waiting 5 months for her licence having turned 70 but declared a fairly common and non-threatening medical condition. She was actually on TV a few days ago having told her story to the BBC. So far the publicity hasn't produced any action. But it does seem that if there is any departure at all from the routine, the time taken goes from a few days to several months.

Greg

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 11:29:03 am »

But it does seem that if there is any departure at all from the routine, the time taken goes from a few days to several months.

It's more a matter of whether you can complete the process online.

On Wednesday 21 July, MPs on the Transport Committee held an evidence session to consider the difficulties facing the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), including the current backlog of cases awaiting processing.
Watch the session: https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/e13d8e44-6479-459a-89ab-be2a147eef4f
Read the transcript: https://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/2613/pdf/

Colin

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 11:38:09 am »

I know how frustrating delays like this are however please bear in mind that the Civil Service has also been hit with Covid regulations. High risk staff were sent home early on, just like every other employer did but they had to wait for IT equipment to be sourced & provided which obviously meant backlogs started. Due to so many people being out of work, different departments sent staff to help out in processing claims to Universal Credit to ensure that people actually had money to live on after businesses closed. The Governments outlook to clear this backlog was to cram staff back into unsafe offices while most of the population sat at home enjoying their free holiday and obviously this didn't go down well.
Clearly DVLA will be trying to clear the most important & simpler applications as this reduces the backlog faster but they won't get it right every time.

Please consider those of us who are working as hard as we can to help the public all the while risking our own lives and receiving verbal abuse from the public & the media. I don't work for DVLA but I am a Civil Servant.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 01:13:16 pm »

Yes Greg it does seem to be the ones who  have some kind of problem that get caught in the filter so to speak.
Unless the default can be rectified by the robot on the spot as my no need for glasses was. She is in the filter,
she declared the condition.The decision of whether it is common and non threatening alas not hers to make.
Lets hope it is soon

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 01:25:39 pm »

Not DVLA but still I assume the Civil Service, a few years back I decided to apply for a dual Citizenship after experiencing issues from Border force ( Although these were actually Customs officers) getting back into the Uk from Prague ( later the next year absolutely no issues at the same airport getting back in after visiting the states !!) After starting the application about 3 times as they do need a fair bit of info, Birth certificates , parents Birth, marriage and Divorce Certificates, so finally got all of these and started again in August 2020

So 07-08-20 sent application off
25-08-20  received letter to attend interview ( Actually just to have Biometrics scanned and photo)  Did not aske for any of the docs.
15-09-20  had the interview.  Was then told that this could take up to 6 months, which did not bother me.

less than 2 weeks later

29-09-20 Received email and letter to confirm application had been approved and to book the Ceremony.
Finally was able to book ceremony as our Town hall had shut down all ceremony's.
Then received email 22-01-21 would I prefer a Virtual ceremony ( Zoom 1 on 1)
23-02-21 had a 10 minute virtual ceremony.

So considering all that has been going on I think that the relevant officials/Departments did pretty well..

:-)) :-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 02:51:09 pm »

Thanks Colin.......

I watched [& listened for 25 minutes] to your parliamentlive.tv Hearing on DVLA matters, and can only suggest our Australian Senate [ask the Senators questions] appears to be modelled on your Westminister system

On face value in this matter [DLVD delay], it would appear that the Government has a few home truths that they would prefer not to be uncovered

Tomorrow morning, I am to experience my first SCOOP - Skype - ZOOM  on-line, live inter-breakfast with a 3 year old  grandson 200km away

Like, how can I send a piece of toast + Vegemite over the virtual wire?  {-)

Heaven preserve us all  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 03:40:58 pm »

Clearly DVLA will be trying to clear the most important & simpler applications as this reduces the backlog faster but they won't get it right every time.

It is clear to you and I, but the Head of the DVLA confirmed to the committee that all post, including referrals back are dealt with in date received order.  There is only a single Postcode, so they can only ascertain the important and simple applications by opening the envelopes and there are no short cuts."Currently, paper applications, including where further information has been required from you after an online application, are likely to take 6 to 10 weeks to process." 
"Apply for a first provisional driving licence with UK identity   -    Date currently being processed  8 June 2021"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.