Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Primer filler/primer advice please  (Read 2023 times)

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Primer filler/primer advice please
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:24:34 pm »

Hi,
I'm about to buy my first ever spray can(s), (most likely from Halfords), so, apologies for the simple question(s).
The Swordsman kit instructions say to use a primer filler (and also mentions high build primer), however, there seem to be a few variations!
1. Primer filler
2. Primer filler plastic
3. High build Primer

Also, none of these seem to be available in white which i would have thought would be a good base colour for doing the white of the hull (or do i use the right colour primer on top of this primer filler).

I was going to go with the standard colours for a swordsman which look like white, dark blue and light blue - does anyone have suggestions for a match in the Halfords colours?

Many thanks,
Mark

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Primer filler/primer advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:31:35 pm »

Hi, do you need to use filler primer? Won,t ordinary primer do. The thing with filler primer is it is quite soft and may
Craze when the quicker drying top coat paint goes on. This has happened to me on one of my builds, and I let it
dry for 2 weeks. <*<

John

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:32:12 pm »

I use filler for the bigger faults and then rub it down to as near perfect a finish as possible before deciding if a second filler attempt is necessary before applying any primer.

If my surface isn't perfect after careful rubbing down I use high build primer to loose the small imperfections When I have used high build primer I have rubbed down most of it to get back to a nice flat surface. I doubt that there was enough left to crack. Mine hasn't.

If using products that are new to you and from different manufacturers always do a dummy filler - high build - primer - top coat just to make sure all the products can live with each other.

I prefer my products to be different colours so that imperfections become very obvious when rubbing down.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 11:11:19 am »

Thanks for the replies.Sounds like I may have to experiment on some practice pieces - using different colour primers sounds like a useful technique to show up faults.
Cheers,Mark

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 02:24:41 pm »

If you want a nice flat surface put your sandpaper on a block. This will bridge small indentations & make them obvious. Your hand alone would gointo the dips.

Yes always test new products. A test is much easier/quicker/cheaper/less destructive than trying to remove something that has gone wrong.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 06:06:46 pm »

I use "Indasa" primer filler, in light grey, expensive but very good, nemesis

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 05:41:39 pm »

Hi again
I decided on Halfords filler primer and clearly my eyesight needs testing as i didn't notice these flaws along the keel before i sprayed.I'm presuming now, that i need to fill these indents as I guess they are a bit deep for the filler primer alone.
Is the recommended filler still Upol Easy light (seems to be available in quite large quantities and expensive) or is there a better one nowadays.I have some Ronseal (2 part) wood filler but i guess that's just for wood (base is Eze-Kote/fibreglass).

Thanks,
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 05:57:21 pm »

The Ronseal two part filler will work fine.

Unfortunately it's only when you put the primer on that you see all the minor flaws that weren't there! Happens all the time.

Colin

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 06:58:13 pm »

Thanks for the (kind) reply Colin :)I'm not alone!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 07:10:25 pm »

No indeed. We've all been there but persevere and all will come right. Priming and filling (and sanding) has always been a protracted process but you get there in the end.

Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 02:55:47 pm »

I have to honest but I have never really had any luck with any kind of primer filler.  So now I use Upol Gold two pack filler to fill the defect and the just straight forward primer to paint the surface.  I have found this much more effective for me.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 12:54:55 am »

I use a primer filler sold here in Australia by Supercheap Auto (SCA), probably our equivalent of Halford's. I only use it on wooden hulls sanded as smooth as possible, I then apply the primer, allow to dry, sand it down, repeating the process as many times as necessary. Most of the filler is removed by sanding leaving an really smooth surface for the finishing coats. I have been able to achieve an excellent finish using this method, especially on plank-on-frame hulls.

Peter.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 12:09:15 pm »

Spray some of the filler primer into the cap from the spray can (messy so take care), allow most of the solvent to evaporate leaving a paste. This can be used as filler for the flaws and when left for several days for the solvent to fully evaporate it can be sanded down in the same way as the rest of the primer. Alternatively several thick spray coats of the primer without sanding over the flaws will fill them when the hull  is finally sanded down.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 12:34:56 pm »

In use 4M acryl red spot putty. It's an air dry filler for small areas, about the consitency of tootpaste. A tube is quite expensive, but will last you a very long time.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 01:01:41 pm »

Some interesting ideas there, thank you to all.

@Mark T - If you don't use filler primer, how would you "fill" the weave of the glassfibre mat (done with Eze-Kote) or do you not use matting?
Cheers,Mark

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 04:28:07 pm »

If it is on the inside of a laminate you can use "Flocoat". That will give you a nice surface. nemesis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.