Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small puffer  (Read 672 times)

RST

• Full Mayhemer
Small puffer
« on: July 26, 2021, 08:49:15 pm »

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is interested but along with VIC 56/96 type puffer there is now a more regular VIC puffer on download from thingiverse.  I'm playing around with one -just the hull, everything else I'm doing myself.  It's about 1:48-1:50 scale (my favourite scale).  I'm not sure whether I'l finish mine as an original or as a modern tourist steamer yet like VIC 27/32 (if I finish it, it's yet another work in progress again).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4832191

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4254426

Rich

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Small puffer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:12:50 pm »

Excellent!   :-))

Is the hull printed from the bottom up?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!"    -   Mayhem FaceBook Group!

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:48:22 pm »

No martin, if you look at the weblink it's in half a dozen sections printed vertically which seems pretty usual.  I'm not one to use designs directly off the web but the principles are the same, the print is orientated for best quality and reduced scrap support materials.  I printed them on my wanhao I3 mini printer but gluing half a dozen blocks together after didn't work too well and my wanhao mini has had awful problems with the summer temps and didn't print well at all (I replaced most of the bits and stopped short of throwing it in the bin until I realised it was ambient temps that were causing all the problems and not the printer parts).  I stitched the hull sections together in tinkercad and printed in 2 sections bow and aft on my Flashforge Guider II (it can print 300mm high but this works out about 400'odd mm so 2 sections of 200'odd mm each).  My Guider II has had allot of problems also to do with high ambient temps -I nearly threw the towel in with it also until I realised it's air temps rather than the components.  There is a horrid join in the pic about the middle which didn't set right.  That dark grey gloop is JB Weld which I tried for the first time.  Hear good things about it but not convinced about it for modelling purposes yet.  I should hopefully be able to re-align, bond the gap and sand back.

It's a "hybrid" print.  I take advantage of the printing, but a combination of all modelling techniques and materials, so as far as I'm concerned, no different from a semi-scratch build on a commercial GRP or polystyrene hull -just with the difficulty of making the hull in the first place.

...I was asking a while back about your small-scale puffer build on the mayhem website, there was talk of a vac-forming but never got any feedback on it -I guess it's permanently on the shelf or junked since?  I never asked Sarik about their old puffer moulding -figured there was no point as they had lost some things a while back and I see there's more hulls dropped of the list the last 6 months now also.

Rich

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 04:13:06 pm »

That looks a nice model.
I need to have another go at getting my 3d printer working, so many things that I could do with being able to print out, not just for models, but for our van conversion too.

I'd love to build a Puffer one day. The detail that some of you guys put into them simply astounds me.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x2
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
26" Pilot Boat
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:57:28 pm »

Thanks Will,
I am getting there with it very slowly. As I said before it's a complete mix of things -whatever works.  My trouble is though, I have so many projects on the go I just do a little bit at a time and MOJO is pretty low this past 12 months...

• The mast I turned down (sandpaper in hand with a nasty battery drill turning it) from 6mm dowel from one of the few hardware shops left
  • The top of the old cargo hatch I thought would now be a proper steel affair and fitted hefty strengthening ribs from polystyrene (looking back too big but hey ho).  As with VIC 32 it's extended above original hatch height and lots of windows fitted
  • Deck house and wheelhouse is a combination of printing and polystyrene with brass bits
  • The winch up front is a combination of brass, polystyrene and printed bits.  -Doesn't matter what media: Very frustrating to get some representation of the steam cylinders plus pistons and cams!  Currently the wooden deck is scribed in polystyrene and I won't fit it until it's all painted at the end
  • The dinghy I admit is just taken from the free download -I made a set of crutches from brass and polystyrene and have a polystyrene cover on it.  I'll worry about tarpaulin ropes and lashing it down later.  It's actually a very nice print from the outside
  • The rear mast brasswork I just fixed in place last night, don't think it's right but it's neat.  The radar on-top is just something from bits box and is made from bits of polystyrene, I think the rotating antenna is a bit too big otherwise it will be OK all blacked up as per pics of VIC32
  • Last pic is the gangway made from polystyrene and some photo etched brass stanchions I had in stock as Billings 23mm ones were too big the first time  Very delicate!  The funnel is 3-D printed with embellishments in brass rod, split pins and bending my own bits.  I found an old aeronaut searchlight grille in the bottom of a box -so that's now glued to the top of the funnel as a grille
...Lots of bits re-used from old projects or adapted from something else so far.

It's all still very rough and ready.  If I get between 1 and 2mm either side of right it doesn't matter as long as it looks OK at 4 feet inspection!  It is a nice little size though, not too small and not too big.

Quandries:
  • I have 2mm prop shaft but space is tight for propellers.  My original 25mm one looks very small.  I managed to get a few Graupner 2mm 30mm props from Leeds Model Shop which will suit fine as I can sand the boss off them  but the rudder I still have to figure out.  No brass props needed here' the prototypes all seemd to have cast iron ones so painting them red antifoul will look better
  • My printer doesn't print smooth unless it's an orthogonal face -often leaves a grain very much like woodgrain as seen on my hull.  I was out of traditional johnsons red oxide primer I used to use but now have a small tin of 151 and it seems ideal from test painting to fill in the grain before sanding back -TBC
Rich
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:34:04 pm by RST »

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 08:31:15 am »

Fair play, that looks fantastic. What a superb little model.

It still amazes me what you can find on Thingiverse.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:32:13 am by madwelshman »
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x2
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
26" Pilot Boat
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin
Pages: [1]   Go Up