Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help needed 1;72 scale boat  (Read 2804 times)

dazgreen

help needed 1;72 scale boat
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:57:23 pm »

as my second project im building a 1:72 scale S&R vessel but going to have lots of problems with the rudders
as you can see from the pics it has 3 srews and 3 rudders the middle 1 will have to be glued in place as the boat ramp at the back is in the way
can i buy rudders 1 inch by half inch that are the right shape that can be fitted for the other 2
will the fact that the middle 1 is fixed hamper the stearing

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Johan

Re: help needed 1;72 scale boat
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:21:03 pm »

Mr Daz, I'm currently in the middle of a Herman Marwede RC reconversion myself (apart from some exams on high school...)
It's not my ship, but the owner has no experiance in RC, so I made the RC installation.
Wel will use all 3 rudders and props, not easy, but not impossible either. We use the original rudders reinforced with brass tube, I'll try to post a picture later on. I don't know about the effect of only 2 rudders, but if you make them slightly larger than those of Revell, manouevrability will be almost as good as the 3 smaller originals. Even better would be if you made the middle (fixed) rudder removable, so you can sail without it, and so enhancing even more the manouevrability.

Good luck, hope I helped a bit!  Greetz, Johan

Johan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:03 pm »

Here are some pics of the rudder lay-out:
Greetz, Johan

dazgreen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:46 pm »

will you not have a problem with water getting in as all the rudder assembly is below water level so water can get up the 3 tubes into the hull or is there a way around that
this is only my second build so not that good yet
and will the plastic rudders be strong enough in the water

Johan

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:50:39 pm »

About the strenght of the rudders: honnestly, I don't know. They are reinforced with bras tube, hope it works. Worst case scenario, I made a mall of them, so if one is lost, I can reproduce it.
For water comming in, I don't think so, since the rod sits in another one, just bigger, with no space between them. If greased, it won't let water come in. Better grease it every ten or so runs. And still, if water comes in, I made a watertight bulkhead at 9 cm from the stern (were the strenghtening is in the Revell hull). That'll have to do the job of keaping water out.
If all that fails, I'll have to install a small pump (costs about 10? I think..) But I don't think we'll need that.
Me and the owner, a fellow student, are in exams now, so we won't be workng on the Herman for a while. As soon as we made some progress, I'll post it here.

Greetz, Johan

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:27:24 am »

Hi Daz, a friend of mine had just finished the same kit. He just made both outer props and rudders working, the center-prop is removeable. Both outer rudders are made 25% larger than the kit-attached items- which gives enough manoeverability. The only point of critics are the attached props, which are out of no value- replaced by 2 25mm beasprops, working on two Graupner 400 motors.
Hope this was out of any help.
J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

dazgreen

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 09:44:40 pm »

yes the props are too small but im making this boat with no money or only with money the wife cant track  :-\ so most if not all of it is or will be from brocken toys of my sons the props are from a small boat he no longer plays with well he cant now ::)
thank god i hate to throw things away and the wife dosent go in the attic :-X

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:32:14 pm »

Daz, so you`re pretty right in the modern, ancient world of hunters and collectors.....
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 03:26:51 pm »

Most problems with water entering through the rudder shaft is the force of the prop wash hitting the rudder up next to the hull and forcing the water to captivate up the shaft into the hull. Having the stuffing tube for the shaft protrude about 1/32" to 1/16" below the hull seems to cure that problem. I've built many rudder shafts and stuffing tubes with only two pieces of brass tubing without using anything to grease the shaft and haven't had a leak yet. Doing that plus greasing the shaft should help add double protection.

dazgreen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 11:00:10 pm »

im thinking of powering the boat with servo's iv tested 1 servo rigged up to the prop and it seems to work well and it gets rid of the need for a speed controler i know 2 servo's can be used with a y lead but can 3 be powerd from the the rx

iv removed the stop from the servo and it has veriable speed and the torc to drive the prop at a good speed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.