Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/72 mini/micro Springer Tug + barges + ponton  (Read 1387 times)

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
1/72 mini/micro Springer Tug + barges + ponton
« on: January 02, 2023, 01:56:13 pm »

Hi all,
when I started with the rc-modification build of the Airfix Severn in 1/72, it was a totally new field for me as 1/20 (and 1/10) builder.  So I decided I need not only to read but also to learn. Nothing easier than a Springer Tug. I've build one in 1:20 (see image 1) and also a barge and a ponton.
So I took a basic side sketch, scaled it and started cutting. Length just below 14cm.  If you want more functions or thicker material, just stretch the height a bit.  For the sides + back + front + deck I used 1mm polystyreen (PS), the bottom was 0.75mm thick, glued with revell contacta. I used only one frame inside, probably more would have done better. In the corners there are square ps bars and all connections got an additional profile of eiter round, halfround or angle ps glued from the inside with UHU-Allplast.
After a month the sides were not streight anymore but showed a small bow. I added a frame inside and a few bars from left to right before glueing the deck.
The whole project startet as test to deal with 1/72 or better 1/87 (H0) rc equipement and electronics. Luckily I have the small and lightweight (>2gr) fs2a receiver for my flysky i6x/s remote controls. That one runs aready with 3.2V for my 400mAh/600mAh 1S LiFePO4 accus. For the spectrum DSMX protocol there are more options, but so far I stick to what I have.
The built of the tug and one barge was simply by hand and cutter. The 2nd, 3rd barge and the pontoon (in preparation) are 3D printed from PLA. So it's a mixture of old and 'new' school building.For the barges I didn't use a plan, if you need something you can donwload it there:https://www.schiffsmodell-magazin.de/downloads/schubleichter-fuer-springer-tug-im-eigenbau/
just scale it down or use it as raw guide to build your own.

I had the idea to use two barges for floatable advent lights, but due to stress at work and this f'in time robbing (in our case fortunately not health robbing) corona virus it wasn't finished this year. Will be next, including a xmas-barge with light and so...

Back to the tug. I the tube ends just got soldering tin as gears in a 1.2mm opening tube, with a 1mm steel shaft + an extra tube fo fill in some tiny bit of grease.  Motor was 12000rpm 7mm micro motor, became 7000rpm micro motor of double size. The tug can carry more that the Severn. 
A lot of 1/87 stuff in germany you can get at:  https://www.sol-expert-group.de/index.php?language=en   they obviusly have an english page but I have no clue of their delivery costs.
The propeller, at the moment, is 2 blade resin printed 13-14mm.

For this size of the motor and the length of the shaft-system the accu has to be placed on the side. I printed a thin box for that. It was buit by hand before, but printing is much easier, make a small change and print it again .... For the coming electronics there is also a box.
Functions ???  I planned so much, as the tug can carry more than the severn. Finally I gave up on a water pump and extinguisher system. I don't want to loose too much time for the Severn and the bigger Tyne lifeboats. And it would be tricky with 4 ch only.  But, I'll have a radar (see: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LTx_EivVwpk  -- just a 'too fast' example) and I'll have a movable (up7down + left/right) spotlight on the roofdeck.
4ch will be used as:1 gas2 rudder3+4 spotone of them in paralel a 5 part switsch for light and radar

So, that's it almost for now, some tiny parts have been printed and added, still quite a way to go.
Best,Joerg

Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/72 mini/micro Springer Tug + barges + ponton
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:30:29 am »

They look like so much fun. Will have to try doing a diddy springer

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 10:00:32 am »

So many other projects in parallel. Still missing light, spotlight and radar...
But the small one (1/87) looks nice, but you shouldn't have wind  :}

My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 10:06:06 am »

Excellent!   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 10:11:11 am »

very weak magnet coupling... will be stronger in 1/72 (more space) ... just don't know when.

I just recognized, that I forget the whole 3D print part.

Will update soon.J

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 10:58:31 pm »

It is not only brilliantly made but very cute. I shall have to fetch out my full size springer again and have a play.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 11:07:00 pm »

Image 1: Glued Deck onto the hull with too much glue.... next morning it looked  >>:-(
What to do, disassemble? .... I deecided to set up a 3D set of parts (see image 2)
Wall thickness 1.2mm in 1/72, downscaled to 1/87 there is still 1mm left. Upscaling to 1:50 still works.

Image 3:  here you have 1/20, 1/72, 1/87 and the yellow part is a test print for 1/50
Still not final, once I'm happy I'll put it to thingiverse. It's adifferent way to print than 1 part or two part thick hulls. Not better I guess, but different.J

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 22 queries.