Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prestwich Pipe Q's -  (Read 2672 times)

Doubledog

Prestwich Pipe Q's -
« on: October 21, 2007, 06:36:42 pm »

Hi Buds,
I'm coming to you because these pipes are made in your back yard. Can the CS26 be tuned with a Wrap Forward header pipe?

Reason I'm asking is because I've got a new style Hanson quiet pipe and its not coming on tune. My boat is an Enforcer TeamPro w/mid mod 260. I've been told that this pipe would be difficult at best to tune with the wrap forward header and might not come on pipe. Its not. Have propped down in pitch, up, small dia etc. Still not getting there. Reason for asking is because I'd like to keep as much of the pipe inside the boat to maintain decent looks.

Last question is can the CS24A be tuned with the same wrap forward pipe? These cost MUCh more than the cs26... ouch.

Thanks for your time,
Jamie

ps, anyone looking for a Hanson quiet pipe? ;)

thedevil

Re: Prestwich Pipe Q's -
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:53:37 pm »

in my experience you won't get the same performance as if you had a 90 degree or 100 degree bend manifold. also the prestwich stainless steel pipes are the better pipe. but i you don't want spend more money you could try different needle settings. hope that helps.

Doubledog

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:45:47 pm »

Hi Ben,
Diffferent needle settings? This is for a gas boat and I've got it lean & mean at the moment. Not sure how richening it up would matter? Also forgot to note that its pushed up on the header to the point the O'rings want to leak so its as short as possible.

Just searching out ideas. :)

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:46:28 pm »

due to the lenth of the header pipe you have to after the bend,it is hard to tune it to come onto pipe,i was running one of those to not much luck,i chanced it to a 90 degree header and although it is short,i have found it to be alot better,a shorter pipe is better than a longer one,i did have to reset mixture settings on my sikk 27 cc ,boat is alot faster and it seems to work well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,kurt

thedevil

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:08:27 pm »

sorry guys kurt sumed up what i ment to say. went around saying it the confusing way  ???

omra85

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:28:43 pm »

Jamie, the pipe in your picture seems to be the same type of construction as the CMB ones, in that it has three screws at the end of the straight 'quiet' section.  If so, when you undo these and take the end casting out, you should find that the internal stinger is seperate from the 'quiet section'.  The straight part of the outer tube can be cut and the three holes redrilled so that the end is moved in (pipe shortened).  It will not be quite as quiet but would allow you to use a 90 deg header which would shorten your plug/cone distance.
As the internal stinger stays in the same place, it has no effect (or very little) on performance characteristics.
Danny

pete_486

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:34:55 pm »

hi Kurt that pipe you sold me is real quiet and its fast too, i put the old sharky on the water and it goes quite well but it sounds really tame  ;D O0 ill have to put handles on it to make it better, and by the way my heart goes out to you with your recent problems :(

Pete

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:14:57 pm »

Jamie, the pipe in your picture seems to be the same type of construction as the CMB ones, in that it has three screws at the end of the straight 'quiet' section.  If so, when you undo these and take the end casting out, you should find that the internal stinger is seperate from the 'quiet section'.  The straight part of the outer tube can be cut and the three holes redrilled so that the end is moved in (pipe shortened).  It will not be quite as quiet but would allow you to use a 90 deg header which would shorten your plug/cone distance.
As the internal stinger stays in the same place, it has no effect (or very little) on performance characteristics.
Danny

Hello Double Dog,

It's all one lump I'm afraid on the Prestwich pipe so can not be altered. As per the postings on the forum over the pond, that header is going to make it just shy of getting ideal tuned length.

Try it: run some string or wire from the port along the centreline of the pipe to the fattest part of the first cone.

Measure it. You ideally want to get a length of 340mm (ish), as you will see with that header, you are going to be a tad too long.

If you know someone who can weld aluminium, you can get a bit chopped out of the header and welded up again. About 20mm of the sectionthat goes forward would do it I should think.

Glenn

Doubledog

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 06:02:44 pm »

Guys,
Ya'll confirmed my thoughts. Wanting to make something work thats just not going to do it. Still might consider one due the fact that its smaller diameter than the Hanson and will extend through the hole in the transom. THOUGH a bit far.

Still have an eye out for the CS24A version. If you step across one for a decent price, drop me a line.

Take care guys and I'll be lurking.
Jamie

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 11:12:46 pm »

"Still have an eye out for the CS24A version. If you step across one for a decent price, drop me a line."

That one I sent you the link for on ebay no good then? I thought it went for a good price, thought I would have seen your name against the won bidding on that one Jamie.

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 07:53:55 am »

Hi Jamie, check this thread out for hiding that pipe..
http://www.xtremercboats.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13354&start=30
also check HendricX link for the stainless sections, a much shorter header is achievable and you can custom build as required. I have used these sections and it worked well. Should also work with a CS24 if you find one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.