Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black wire syndrome  (Read 860 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Black wire syndrome
« on: June 29, 2022, 05:27:52 pm »

Hi all no, not on a battery lead, but inside my trusty old Hitec Ranger 3 channel 40 Mhtz Transmitter.
The old contacts had nearly given up and I was wiring in a servo type socket to put a battery set which just plugs in.  I tested all was working before I started and then did the wiring and it failed to switch on again.

After an hour wrestling with what I had done I decided to trace the wire inside the Transmitter.  Where I had soldered the black lead of the servo lead I traced back the wire to where it goes into the electronics.  The whole length of the wire was rotten and black inside.  No signs of copper wiring at all.

I soldered in a replacement wire and all came on line and working nicely.  I use these 3 ch. sets because of the 3rd. channel which is a flick slider and this adjusts the fore staysail on my yachts, just tightens it up which increases the speed of the boat through the water.
Not that I intend going to 2.4 Ghtz but none of them do what I want.
Regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Black wire syndrome
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 07:45:08 pm »

More....  That black lead I removed was a foot long and rotten all the way through!

The story continues,  I am refurbishing a very old scale model yacht I first floated in 1975.  It has had a couple of updates and on the last one it received a bronze medal at the Model Engineering exhibition.  The receiver is 27Mhtz FM and I have an old Furaba M 6 transmitter, a classic design, which it runs from.  I came to charge it up and got a fail light on the charger, so needs a new battery.

It is an 8 pack standard and not having a spare to hand I robbed one from a Sanwa set I was never likely to use again.

Well the Futaba Tx has the old pin type connectors!  Decided to change that to a modern one, no problem.  Stripped out the Sanwa one and 'made' the battery fit the Futaba screw down container.  I was just about to connect the newly charged Sanwa battery up and I thought, just one more check!

How pleased was I that I did, I had forgotten that Sanwa did the old red black signal order just like Fleet.  So I started cutting off the lead and you've guessed it black wire syndrome all the way down, replaced the wire and all working nicely.

Anybody only used to 2.4 Ghtz has been robbed of the pleasure and simplicity of the M6 design with the balance and clean brushed silver metal finish.  Don't forget you have a nice aerial as well for poking your boat!
Regards
Roy

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 23 queries.