Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam pipe and funnel lagging.  (Read 878 times)

ex docky

• Full Mayhemer
Steam pipe and funnel lagging.
« on: September 05, 2021, 07:04:48 pm »

Hi,
What is the best method to lag steam pipes and a funnel?
Thanks
Ex docky.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam pipe and funnel lagging.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:42:31 pm »

Wrap string around the pipe, starting with a spot of cyano glue and finishing with another spot.  Do not wrap over the ferrules or you cannot undo the pipe nuts.  Then, for the very best results, wrap adhesive backed silver foil over the string.  This creates air pockets in the string, which creates the insulation barrier.  If you do not want to add the foil do not paint the bare string as this will fill the air pockets with paint, form a solid coating, and the surface of the paint will get hot.

This method works equally well on boiler flues although I would suggest the foil wrapping is well worth the effort with this.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 11:33:06 pm »

I use string too but coat it with Pollifil  then paint it. It must insulate cos I don’t burn my fingers!  Recently I’ve used white silicone rubber. It’s not very white so I clean it with methylated spirit which allows it to take a primer and then white topcoat. On short pipes you need to split it to get it on the pipes between union nuts but on long runs you can put it straight on the pipe and squeeze it to one end to solder the union.

Jerry C.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 09:05:31 am »

If the original post had not asked for "the best method" I would have said paint it. 
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.