Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Txt Scam  (Read 1011 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Txt Scam
« on: August 29, 2021, 10:42:09 pm »

Other scam, fake message purporting to be from Hermes, with a fake Link!

Just mentioning it as it came through on an unlisted company phone!   >:-o

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/hermes-scam-text-message-how-to-avoid-report-dhl-post-office-982585
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Txt Scam
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 12:15:41 am »

We are having a deluge of fake text messages from automated bots? easily detected by the spelling mistakes and can be deleted.  <*<   Must be getting through to some people as they have been arriving for a couple of months or more.  Very annoying.  >>:-(

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 09:35:36 am »

My phone redirects such messages to the spam folder and lets me know.  Not a big deal for me because at any one time I don't have much on order, and that small amount is easy to keep track of.  A busier person might have problems.
As things stand, a perp might send 100000 free emails (using a program, so no time or work involved) and get 100 bites at £1.57 apiece.  Since there is no way to report smishing, thus no way for the authorities to know the size of the problem, reports of the theft of £1.57 will have a very low priority.  Until a cabinet minister gets turned over a few times, it will be a safe way to steal small amounts.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:15:16 am »

Problem is the level of sophistication some of these scams exhibit. Got one of these on my late wifes e-mail account t'other day from HM Taxes informing her of a tax overpayment and need details of how to pay it back. Now this looked interesting as a couple of months ago got a genuine one from DHSS on their overpayment of last pension deposit and "Can we have it back", this was kosher.
  Wonder if clicking "Phishing scam" button actually has any effect? Genuine demands or gifts come from official bodies via brown envelopes not through the ether.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 12:31:50 pm »

Have reported phishing attempts to HMRC on a number of occasions and have always had a reply thanking me for doing so. I keep the phishing email address in my address book just in case. As you said HMRC do not send emails about tax demands or refunds asking for your details.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

RST

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 08:13:38 pm »

Since there is no way to report smishing

...sorry but I beg to differ and 'tinternet guidance says so also.  All unsolicited sms messages can be forwarded to 7726 which reads "SPAM" on the old phone keypads.  They do look at them, if you don't report them then there's nobody looking at them.  All my unsolicited messages get forwarded along with the number or company name and my junk / phishing text messages have reduced drastically.  It's free to use also.

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 08:41:42 am »

...sorry but I beg to differ and 'tinternet guidance says so also.  All unsolicited sms messages can be forwarded to 7726 which reads "SPAM" on the old phone keypads.  They do look at them, if you don't report them then there's nobody looking at them.  All my unsolicited messages get forwarded along with the number or company name and my junk / phishing text messages have reduced drastically.  It's free to use also.

Rich
Good information.  Its a pity that none of the sites that offer advice mention it, including the link at the top of this thread.  At the moment my txt provider is intercepting them.  What they do with them is anybody's guess.  They might even forward them to 7726.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.