Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reference check on other models  (Read 711 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Reference check on other models
« on: August 30, 2021, 09:44:55 pm »

Hi crew I have recently seen a model of a River class minesweeper that has great detail my question is it ok to use other models as reference material for your own build  giving credit were due to the other modeler of course,  I have seen some beautiful models that are truly amazing museums quality type ones as well , have you used others models for reference and is it OK just a question for all , and is it OK to approach said modeler for help . I in the past have allowed others to study research and photograph my models . Not trying to start a mass debate just a genuine question. Tassie48

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Reference check on other models
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 10:11:07 pm »

I think we all do it  to a greater or lesser degree. Indeed, it's a good reason for joining a club and seeking advice from members on this or that problem and their approaches to any given problem. You can copy a particular model, but you will never take away the skill of the original modeller and your model will always be your work.
Don't Assume Check

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:18:08 am »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery !
Isn't that how the proverb goes ?
It's human nature to learn by copying as it is with our simian cousins.

Bintur Ellenbach

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 04:26:32 am »

Why not try and contact the modeller for their original information.  Always better to go to the source.  %)

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 07:11:11 am »

There's a thing called NLP or Neuro linguistic programming which effectively encompasses the 'Monkey see monkey do' philosophy. Basically you see someone do something and imitate their actions and effectively create what they have done to a point.

When I was a weekend warrior with the Territorial Army many years back we were taught in the EDIP fashion.....Explain, Demonstrate, Impersonate and Practice. So basically our instructor would explain to us what was required, he would demonstrate the requirement them we would impersonate what he was doing (within reason!) and then practice practice and more bloody practice.

I do it today when we have new peeps join us at work to help learn what I know!

Think we all take inspiration from others, there's no harm in that and indeed it's very flattering!
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.