Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heng Long Atlantic Cruiser  (Read 1092 times)

Graham D

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Heng Long Atlantic Cruiser
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:16:38 am »

I recently spotted on Ebay a Heng Long Atlantic Cruiser at a very good price being NOS in a battered box.
I knew I wouldn't be happy with it in it's original configuration so immediately set about modifying it to make it both look and perform better.
The first task was to get rid of the rubbish radio system and install a quality ESC to power both motors combined with counter-rotation.
I was going to then fit a central rudder but decided instead to custom make a Levi drive system which is a combination duct and rudder configuration over the original surface drive props.
On the maiden voyage I was a little concerned as to how hot the motors got so installed a pair of 5 volt computer fans to help cool them.
Finally I dressed up the rather plain boat with new decals, flying bridge canopy and a few extras such as life raft and fake teak wood grain panels.
I am very pleased with the end result and feel I have turned a plastic wonder into a more realistic scale cruiser.  ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Heng Long Atlantic Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 05:25:53 am »

Any pictures?   :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 05:57:21 am »

Ver smart looking vessel Graham :-)) ,

We see  the 2 x cooling fans over the motors......and drawing air surrounding or heat from the motors upwards

Is there sufficient venting to firstly exhaust this warmer air to atmosphere, and secondly an alternate vent to allow ambient air back into the hull?

Without adequate venting, the warm air will continue to heat the air mass within the hull, so eventually creating a negative cooling effect

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Graham D

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:52:24 am »

Hi Derek
Good spotting. Yes the fans draw hot air upwards off the motors.
Ventilation could be better but seems to work OK as there is a slot across the top of the large windscreen and holes under the rear overhang of the bridge.
Cheer
Graham.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 11:41:20 am »

Graham......again we see the cooling fans [I am guessing 50mm square?]......rated or listed as 5V .....however what voltage are you using?

I am trialling a pair of 25mm square 5V fans in a bank ...as a reverse radiator blowing air over a steam coil to preheat a steam engine... so I have run these on a constant 6V for 24 hours without issue

The obvious question is are your cooling fans getting hot?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Graham D

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:36:29 pm »

Hi Derek
The fans are powered from the + - position on the receiver which via the BEC provides 5 volts.
Actually testing with a multimeter indicates 5.1 volts.
The batteries are a pair of 2S 2500 mah 7.4 volt lipos wired in parallel to provide 5ooo mah.
The fan motors being exposed to the heat from the motors do get warm to touch after running for a while but this does not seem to be a problem.
Not sure how hot they would get after running for hours as I only have the boat running for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Gets a bit boring after that. %)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.